Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-1 Pajero

Generation 4-1 Pajero NS Model 2006 - 2009

Old 06-08-09

Send a message via Skype™ to Tom80
Default Blown indicator fuse and warning lights

G'day all,
I had a weird experience with the Pajero today, I went to drive it and the indicators didn't work and the battery warning light was on.
I checked the alternator charge and it was reading 15.2 volts at idle, which is fairly high. I then chcked the indicator fuse and found it blown, replaced that and rechecked the alternator voltage and it read 14.4 volts at idle.
So for some reason the voltage regulation is fed through the indicator circuit somehow.
For those people in a auto you may get additional warning lights as listed in the Gen3 thread: http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...light=blinkers.
I hope this clears up some confusion if you get similar symptoms, as it confused me intially.
Cheers Tom.
Old 06-08-09
Valued Member

Yup - they do that when blowing the fuse, usually when towing (extra load on the indicator circuit). First time it happened to me MM diagnosed mine as a stuffed alternator. Had it reco'd and charged me for the privelage, which still didnt fix it, then replaced the fuse which cured it.

Pat
Old 06-08-09

Send a message via Skype™ to Tom80

Classic- start at the cheapest and work your way up.
unless your a MM service centre, then it is the other way around.
Cheers Tom.
Old 07-08-09
Valued Member

What threw them was the high output voltage from the load sensing alternator and array of dash lights. Blowing this fuse for some reason tells the alternator to go to full output. This was the first one they had seen and to be fair I have a background in electronics / electrical work and I missed it completely too.

Pat
Old 08-08-09
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psproule View Post
What threw them was the high output voltage from the load sensing alternator and array of dash lights. Blowing this fuse for some reason tells the alternator to go to full output.
Pajero Alternators have a small wire running to the battery to sense the actual voltage, rather than measuring voltage at the Alternator, where it will be higher due to voltage drop in teh wire carrying over 100 amps at times.

If the voltage sensed is too low, the Alternator cranks up its output, until it's right.

If this sensing connection fails, the Alternator keeps on cranking up its output - but still the sensing voltage doesn't go up.

Unfortunately this sensing wire goes via the Hazard Lights fuse - no Hazard Lights = no sensing voltage.
Old 08-08-09

Send a message via AIM to BlueDog Send a message via MSN to BlueDog

Mike,

Slightly off topic, but this does this mean the Paj alternator is an "externally sensing alternator"? and so could use a diode isolater on a dual battery set up? eg http://www.projecta.com.au/catalogue/cid/24/asset_id/55

cheers

Ben

VMS469: 0963
HFOz: 0079

NS DiD Exceed, Sunroof, Lovell Springs & Bilstein Shocks, BFG ATs, ARB Bull Bar, lightFORCE 240XGTs, Heavy Duty Rhino Racks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Projecta Dual Battery System (TJM system died @ Cameron Corner), Codan NGT HF, GME TX3340 UHF, Bushranger Mats, Garmin eTrex Legend H, Tom Tom XL, EvaKool 50L, bush pin stripes, and a very long wish list . . .
Old 09-08-09
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDog View Post
Mike,

Slightly off topic, but this does this mean the Paj alternator is an "externally sensing alternator"? and so could use a diode isolater on a dual battery set up? eg http://www.projecta.com.au/catalogue/cid/24/asset_id/55

cheers

Ben
I would say definitely yes. Although I am not so sure how they switch the sense wire from battery to battery, or is the sense wire move to the input of the isolator? Thing is if it is just a pair of diodes both batteries are still connected to the alternator at once. Just not to each other. If the AUX is flat and the alternator is outputting 14.5 odd volts to charge, then main battery will still be copping that voltage too.

Pat
Old 09-08-09
Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDog View Post
Mike,

cheers

Ben
Yes, the Paj alternator is an externally sensing alternator, but its sensing wire connects downstream of the indicator/hazard fuse, not direct to the battery.

If you install a diode isolator you'll need to identify the sense wire and reconnect it to some point upstream of the isolator - or the regulator will regulate the alternator's output to compensate for the diode's voltage drop, and over-charge the battery.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box
Old 09-08-09
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj swb View Post
Yes, the Paj alternator is an externally sensing alternator, but its sensing wire connects downstream of the indicator/hazard fuse, not direct to the battery.

If you install a diode isolator you'll need to identify the sense wire and reconnect it to some point upstream of the isolator - or the regulator will regulate the alternator's output to compensate for the diode's voltage drop, and over-charge the battery.
As long as the Sense wire is connected to the Battery and not the Alternator side of the Isoltaor diodes, it will regulate correctly.

The diodes effectively couple the two batteries to the same voltage - if one battery is heavily loaded and is pulling the voltage down to 13.0 volts, then the other battery won't be reading much higher, so it doesn't matter which battery the sense wire is connected to.
Old 10-08-09
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psproule View Post
Yup - they do that when blowing the fuse, usually when towing (extra load on the indicator circuit). SNIP

Pat
Our pajero has the relay setup for the towing - which I thought was designed to reduce the electrical load of the towed item... Is this not so?

I imagine that the load would definately have an impact if a non-MM towbar was installed and the wiring simply spliced into the loom.

Cheers
Gary