Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Commercial Advertisers > Commercial Advertisers > MM 4X4

MM 4X4 Affordable Vehicle Electronics

Old 23-09-17
Valued Member

Default An Innovative new torque converter lock-up kit

LAST EDIT: Sep 2020

Introducing.... lockup-mate, and auto-mate. The most advanced transmission lockup-kits available.

Why have a lockup-kit?
Improved fuel economy when towing(10% is typical) and much lower transmission temperatures (70-80 degC max is typical).
For the Challenger/Triton MN, they solve the LIMP mode problem afflicting these vehicles when towing up long steep hills or even on the flat into a head wind.

How it started... back in May 2017
I had terrible problems managing transmission temperatures while in the Victorian High Country in Jan 2017. My mates with a lockup-kit didn't.
I had a TCC lockup kit I designed myself for my old Pajero, the NP -simple relay based one. For my NX I wanted something much better.
In my NP I found manual control over it was distracting and I sometimes I accidentally overloaded the drivetrain (i.e. bad shudder) and a few times stalled it while fumbling for the switch - not good.
Nothing was available that met my needs (and still isn't btw), so as a qualified electronics engineer I started to design one that is exactly what I wanted.
The goal of my kit was to be completely automatic in operation and be much simpler to install.
I also want it to be affordable.
Well, that was in September 2018. There are now more than 300 happy customers of lockup-mate and auto-mate for Pajero and Challenger, with the number growing every week.

Here’s what lockup-mate does (features):
  1. automatically activates the TCC lockup when the conditions are right; but more importantly, then disables it under conditions that would put excessive stress on the drivetrain - to avoid that horrible shudder​
  2. then, re-locks it again when suitable
  3. it automatically adjusts for low or high range 4WD selection
  4. works best when transmission is in SPORT mode. In D mode, the gear chosen by A/T ECU is almost always to high for lockup conditions, and as a result, when in DRIVE it will only lockup at speeds > 75kph - it's best if driven like manual in SPORT mode. auto-mate overcomes this and works best in DRIVE.
  5. doesn’t required cutting into wires of the factory harnesses to get speed or statuses. Instead it reads all info from the CAN-Bus (e.g. speed, RPM, headlights, gear, trans mode P-N-R-D-SP 2WD,4WD etc etc)
  6. processes all this data using a micro computer to use an optimum algorithm, rather than a simple speed on-off based one.
  7. can be enabled or disabled by the driver
  8. uses PWM signals to control the lockup clutch, exactly like the factory ECU does. It also uses the same activation profile as factory (which takes 3 seconds). It's not just on/off control.
  9. is adjustable to your preference. (sensitivity of lockup, lockup start gear (2nd is default), LED brightness)
  10. Integrated LED status indicator/switch - off=TCC unlocked,ON=TCC is locked. LED brightness is linked to headlights on/off so is automatically dims more at night. Brightness is user adjustable.
  11. headlight dimming of the LED can be overridden while driving if in the daytime if you want to drive with the headlights on. (just press cruise control CANCEL button for 5 seconds to toggle intensity)
  12. You can still use OBD2 devices. So, it still allows you to connect up and use an Ultra gauge (or your own favourite ODB2 device like a scan gauge, ELM327 bluetooth adaptor with Torque app, GPS head up display etc). This was an essential requirement for me, and I'm please to have cracked it
  13. Self diagnostic mode, to assist with post-installation tests and fault finding.

Now available is auto-mate(our most popular product)

auto-mate takes lockup-mate to the next level. The ultimate!
And in the Challenger and Triton it makes the auto simply awesome in comparison!!
lockup-mate works in both DRIVE and SPORT modes of the transmission, but in DRIVE it only works at speeds >75kph because when in DRIVE the factory ECU is in control of the gear changes.
auto-mate replaces DRIVE mode and controls all the gear changes at all speeds. Great if you're towing in hilly terrain.

auto-mate has the following additional features:
  1. Full control of the gears in DRIVE mode for optimised torque converter lock up and fuel savings.
  2. User adjustable transmission shift profile – to adjust for your specific car (say with larger tyres or remap), or for a sportier response.
  3. Displays the current gear number in the instrument cluster, even when in DRIVE.
  4. 5th gear lockout. Ability to set the top gear as 4th.
  5. Will hold the lower gear during downhill engine braking even after switching back from SPORT to DRIVE. (Except MQ Triton)
  6. Fully automatic operation – set and forget!

Prices: (includes Express Shipping within Australia)
lockup-mate $495 Pajero NS, Challenger/Triton MN
lockup-mate PLUS+ $695 Toyota Prado 150 (NEW RELEASE SPECIAL $100 off, now $595)
auto-mate $895 Pajero, Challenger, Triton, (Triton MQ NEW RELEASE SPECIAL $200 off, now $695)

More info is available on our web page http://www.mm4x4.com.au. You can also subscribe by entering your email address so I can directly send you updates when the products are released.

cheers, Marshall
2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, ARB BBar | OME 2" lift | Airbags | Safari snorkel | GME UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | TPMS | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-mate
2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too

Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate or lockup-mate now available for Pajero NS+, Triton MN,MQ, Challenger PB,PC, Prado 150

Last edited by m_and_m; 16-09-20 at 09:51 AM. Reason: status update
Old 23-09-17
Valued Member

Hi Marshall,
Glad to be reading of your progress. As you know I have been eagerly awaiting your Lockup Mate so put me down for 1 straight off the bat.

Cheers mate

Steve
2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel
Old 23-09-17
Valued Member

Sounds great. Lockup-mate for me please!
Old 23-09-17

Great job m&m, I hope you are able to develop something for the old NP
Old 24-09-17
Valued Member

Bloody oath. Knew you had something in the pipeline. Lock-up mate kit for sure.... I woul;d also like to see a small led included that would light up when the lockup is applied. Not necessary but just a handy thing to have to monitor the set up.......yes/no?

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.
Having lots of friends on facebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...both meaningless.

Telegraph X camper

Last edited by Dicko1; 24-09-17 at 07:19 AM.
Old 24-09-17
Administrator

Your website also has an "Auto-Mate" featured, interested in one for the Jatco auto that is fitted pre mid NT and earlier Pajero, Triton and Challenger.
Happy to help with the development and be a test mule.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Old 24-09-17
Valued Member

Thanks all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXceed View Post
Great job m&m, I hope you are able to develop something for the old NP
NP has certainly been my thoughts. Maybe after my current pipeline of ideas are finished, so it won't be in the near term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicko1 View Post
Bloody oath.
Thanks Dicko, that was the response I was hoping for

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicko1 View Post
I woul;d also like to see a small led included that would light up when the lockup is applied. Not necessary but just a handy thing to have to monitor the set up.......yes/no?
Yes - already a step ahead of you. We have a small switch with a LED embedded for status.
off = lockup-mate is OFF
dim = lockup mate is ON
bright = TCC is locked up.
The LED will also automatically dim according to the headlights being on or off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Jack View Post
Your website also has an "Auto-Mate" featured, interested in one for the Jatco auto that is fitted pre mid NT and earlier Pajero, Triton and Challenger.
Happy to help with the development and be a test mule.
Deal
2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, ARB BBar | OME 2" lift | Airbags | Safari snorkel | GME UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | TPMS | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-mate
2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too

Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate or lockup-mate now available for Pajero NS+, Triton MN,MQ, Challenger PB,PC, Prado 150
Old 24-09-17
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_and_m View Post
Thanks all.

NP has certainly been my thoughts. Maybe after my current pipeline of ideas are finished, so it won't be in the near term.

Thanks Dicko, that was the response I was hoping for

Yes - already a step ahead of you. We have a small switch with a LED embedded for status.
off = lockup-mate is OFF
dim = lockup mate is ON
bright = TCC is locked up.
The LED will also automatically dim according to the headlights being on or off.

Deal
Sounds good. Should be a big market once word gets around. Can I have a ride in the new Mercedes when you get it?

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.
Having lots of friends on facebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...both meaningless.

Telegraph X camper
Old 24-09-17

Default An Innovative new torque converter lock-up kit

Put me down for a lockupmate-Lite.....

Peter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Soon to be Ex- 2002 NM Exceed 3.2DiD, Lifted, PSI Powerbox, Bullbar, HID Driving Lights.
Old 24-09-17

Following with interest.

Benny.
2011 NT Pajero Platinum, Fullriver DC105 & Odyssey 35PC1400 batteries, MM alloy bar, Stedi 8.5" LED driving lights, Bushskinz side steps & bash plates, Provent 200, Auto-mate TC lockup, Derale fan forced transcooler, 2 micron secondary fuel filter, custom 3inch exhaust, JT intercooler, Bilstein + Lovells 2 inch lift, Airbag Man bags, DBA slotted rotors & DBA XP pads, braided brake lines, diff+gearbox+transfer breathers, Redarc boost & EGT gauge, Tuned by TME 141rwkw 598nm.