Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-4 Pajero

Generation 4-4 Pajero NX model 2014 -

Old 07-11-16
Valued Member

Default My Bullbar prevented me from stopping the engine!

Yes, it's true.
But first some background....

During a trip across the Simpson, just after lone gum, my CEL came on. My car was brand new, and just 5 weeks old.

I stopped the engine and it wouldn't restart. Not the best spot to have this problem.

I disconnected the battery to reset computers, and it started. Phew.
Later that afternoon after pulling up to camp, I turned off the ignition and removed the key.....but the engine was still running. WTF! To stop it I pinched the fuel line to starve it of fuel.

The car still 'worked' and after a few days of learning the symptoms it turned out that if the headlights were in auto or ON, I could remove the key from the ignition and the engine would still run. To turn off the engine I just needed to turn off the headlights.

To cut a long diagnosis story short, the fault ended up being a failed diode in the wiring loom inside the ARB bull bar.

Who would have thought a fault in the lighting circuit like this could prevent the engine from stopping? I reckon the diode was part of the daytime running light in the bar...but not sure.

Anyone explain it how this could occur?
2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BFG 265/65R18 | ARB BBar | OME 2" lift | Airbags | Safari snorkel | GME 3510WS UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | TPMS | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | Oil catch can | GPS | PLB | Sat-phone | Flappy Paddles & paddle-mate for auto Build thread here
RETIRED 2003 NP Exceed 3.2 DiD Lots of mods
Old 07-11-16
Valued Member

Wow !!!!!!
You rely on your car being reliable then you hear of something like this.
Crazy.
Old 08-11-16
Valued Member

Are you talking about a LED, (Light Emitting Diode) or a regular Diode to control the flow of current.

Im certainly no expert, but I cant imagine why there would be a regular Diode in the Bar.

steve

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: SMART Winch Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers,
Old 08-11-16
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticky View Post
Are you talking about a LED, (Light Emitting Diode) or a regular Diode to control the flow of current.

Im certainly no expert, but I cant imagine why there would be a regular Diode in the Bar.

steve

Regular diode

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BFG 265/65R18 | ARB BBar | OME 2" lift | Airbags | Safari snorkel | GME 3510WS UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | TPMS | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | Oil catch can | GPS | PLB | Sat-phone | Flappy Paddles & paddle-mate for auto Build thread here
RETIRED 2003 NP Exceed 3.2 DiD Lots of mods
Old 08-11-16
Valued Member

Does the ARB bar include DRL's ?

If the DRL's (or circuits for any other lights for that matter) were being supplied by an ignition feed via a diode, then a backfeed from energised lights (ie due to a faulty diode) would keep the associated ignition circuits energised whenever lights are turned on - despite the key being turned off
Old 08-11-16
Valued Member

Hey Marshall, That one has me stumped

as I understand it, a Diode is essentially a one way valve, to allow power to flow in one direction, but not back past the Diode.

This is why any normal globe will work no matter which side is connected to positive or negative, But an LED can only be connected one way.

I cant understand why a diode would be used in the light circuit of your bar, but I have very little knowledge about electronics, & even less about the CAN BUS systems used on modern cars.

Glad you were able to work it out ok & get it sorted once you got off the track.

That sure is food for thought though.

Steve

Old 08-11-16
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbrown View Post
Does the ARB bar include DRL's ?

If the DRL's (or circuits for any other lights for that matter) were being supplied by an ignition feed via a diode, then a backfeed from energised lights (ie due to a faulty diode) would keep the associated ignition circuits energised whenever lights are turned on - despite the key being turned off

That makes sense. At least that is a good theory. Thats more than I could come up with

Steve

Old 08-11-16
Valued Member

Wouldn't it be isolated by a relay?
Old 08-11-16
Valued Member

Whether there's a relay or not, if the diode is connected to the switched side of any lamp in the bullbar then failure of the diode would then put that switched feed onto any circuits to which the other end of the diode is connected (eg ignition circuit).
Old 08-11-16
Valued Member

What a pain in the A$$.. Thanks for posting the issue and cure.