Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Body and Soul

Body and Soul Discussion about the chassis and body, paintwork, cabin fittings, air conditioning, etc.

Old 03-02-11
Valued Member

Default Polishing paint work mothers?

Hi all

For years always just washed my cars and then applied autoglym polish wax afterwards. Have done this with the pajero but I feel It needs a bit of a cut before the polish or wax is applied.

Autoglym is hard to get whilst in super cheap I picked up some mothers canuburer wax but I now realize it is part of a three step process and I need to get the " cleaner" and 2nd step polish. Is this 3 step process a marketing scam to get to spend $60 on car polish and wax or are the mothers products worth it? They seem to have a good range at super dear and they are convenient to me.

Jim

MY13 Landcrusier VX
MY10 Pajero Platnium with bits now sold to Spiderpig.
99 Rodeo TD dual cab.
Old 03-02-11

Aye mate we use a brand of canuburer wax at work on its own.

We only use it on dark colors (Black,dark blues/greens, charcols things like that) cause really we find it makes no difference to the lighter colors at all.

But to the darker colors it is an absolute cracker of a product.

We do notuse a 3 step process- but we do do a cut and polish with a buff previous to using it.

This could work the same as a cleaner as it is cleaning all the ground in crud out of the paint work.

Hope this helps
Old 03-02-11
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by achjimmy View Post
Hi all

For years always just washed my cars and then applied autoglym polish wax afterwards. Have done this with the pajero but I feel It needs a bit of a cut before the polish or wax is applied.

Autoglym is hard to get whilst in super cheap I picked up some mothers canuburer wax but I now realize it is part of a three step process and I need to get the " cleaner" and 2nd step polish. Is this 3 step process a marketing scam to get to spend $60 on car polish and wax or are the mothers products worth it? They seem to have a good range at super dear and they are convenient to me.
Your vehicle, like mine Jim, is not that old, do you think it needs a good going over ALREADY??
I must admit, I have thought I should do something as far as paint protection is concerned, before too long, but thought I shouldn't be too drastic, as the paint, including the clear top coat is not that old.
I did knock back the dealers paint protection package, after reading somewhere on this site, that it's just as easy doing yourself and saving yourself a 1000 bucks or so. Someone on here was a detailer, maybe like the previous poster, so I'll be interested to hear what is best for an almost new car.

Silver Streak.

2010 NT (Nov) Platinum Pajero, DiD auto, Iron Bark.
Factory Tow-bar, Colour coded ARB Deluxe Bullbar, Hankook Dynopro RT03 MT Tyres, 265/R70x17, Bilstein/Lovell HD 2" lift kit, Bushskinz underbody protection plates, Navar Blue 225's, TJM Airtec Snorkel, Tinted Pajero Bonnet Protector, Uniden UH7750NB UHF-CB, Rhino Rack Sunseeker ll Awning (2.5m x 2m), Full Tint + UV film on privacy glass, Dash Mat, Techniice 60ltr Fridge/Freezer.
Old 03-02-11

I came across these guys,

http://www.ozicozi.com.au/surfacetech/

I havn't used them but they seam to have a few different product on the market, some which sound good for 4WDs that see alot of scrub scratches, Bit more expensive than mothers tho
Old 04-02-11
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Streak View Post
Your vehicle, like mine Jim, is not that old, do you think it needs a good going over ALREADY??
I must admit, I have thought I should do something as far as paint protection is concerned, before too long, but thought I shouldn't be too drastic, as the paint, including the clear top coat is not that old.
I did knock back the dealers paint protection package, after reading somewhere on this site, that it's just as easy doing yourself and saving yourself a 1000 bucks or so. Someone on here was a detailer, maybe like the previous poster, so I'll be interested to hear what is best for an almost new car.
Thanks damo /zed

Silver even though the car was detailed before I picked it up they didn't do the roof! And the body work picks up bits etc in everyday use After the Adelaide trip I had to remove lots of tar spots etc. I prefer to clean the car back to a smooth surface before applying a good quality wax.

I am not a big believer in pain protection schemes, although that link zed found was interesting. The clear protective layer would be awesome in the scrub.

Jim

MY13 Landcrusier VX
MY10 Pajero Platnium with bits now sold to Spiderpig.
99 Rodeo TD dual cab.
Old 04-02-11

Not long after picking our Platinum up I applied the Autoglym polish, quite happy with just using that, to wash I'll use a wash and wax. Plan to apply polish every 6 months.

Jim, if you have bits on your paint, clay bar is a very effective way to clean the paint without cutting and buffing. As it is not old it might be the way for you to go. Kits are aound 30-35 dollars and can be used many times, just don't drop it.