Below Nav Bar

Collapse

Not happy with Safari Snorkel (Problem Fixed)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hookedon4wding
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Mornington Peninsula, VIC

Not happy with Safari Snorkel (Problem Fixed)

Well the Safari is giving me the sh1ts!

There is a very annoying vibration/resonance between 2100-2300rpm in every gear that's bad enough to be felt through the pedals. I'm not talking about induction noise, it's a noticable vibration.

The worst thing is that it's right in the RPM zone for 102-105km/h. I drove down a perfectly smooth Eastlink the other day and at 103km/h there is a droning resonance that is enough to make the glass in the wing mirrors vibrate.

I had the car in at ARB today for the 500km suspension check and I'd organised for them to have a look at the snorkel too. After driving an hour each way I was told when I got there that they were too busy to have a look at the snorkel

When I queried them, the said they'd had a similar problem with a couple of other manuals and I could try filling the inside of the guard with foam or using a cable tie to pull down on the new air tube where it goes into the air box.

Needless to say, I'm not happy.

I have been very happy with ARB and their service up to this point so I'll be very disapointed if this doesn't get rectified. Hopefully I got them on a bad day.
    Last edited by Hookedon4wding; 26-05-09, 03:21 PM.
    2010 150 Prado GXL V6 Auto

Accessories fitted: BFG At 275/65/R17, Rhino Platform Rack, Toyota Cargo Barrier.
  • Coolman
    • Jun 2007
    • Brisbane, QLD

I had some noise in my snorkel, not as bad as your are mentioning but after some body work they put the snorkel back on with the pillar mount the other way around. No noise.....
    Pajero Exceed 3.8l, BFG AT 275/70, Narva Ultima 175 spots, o2 Jamin with BT GPS, O'Briens camping trailer, 2" Lift with Bilsten Shocks.

Comment

• sharky
      Valued Member
      • May 2008
      • Kilmore

Wouldnt bother contacting Safari direct I had some issues/questions with mine and contacted them as I thought if anyone could help me they could, they were as helpfull as a pool deck on a submarine didnt want to help/no me undoubtably the worst company I've ever dealt with kept saying to me contact an outlet for eg: ARB. I dont care if theyre the best I would never grace them with my business again!!!!
      ----------------------------
      'Steve'
      2000 NL TD GLS

Comment

• NIFTY NEV
        • Jul 2008

What can I say.
        Have had 2 sets of springs in the back of my paj so far and still not up to correct height.
        And yes they are heavy duties!
        Arb are getting longer springs , hopefully this week,& they dont know/care about my snorkel vibration at the same rev range as you stated hooked on.
        I stuffed some foam under my intake box & that helped a little bit but it's still crap.
        If I had any idea about the vibrations I never would have gone ahead with the snorkel & I can safely say that once i have the springs sorted I wont be heading arb's way again anytime soon.
        Problem is if you have a manual did safari is the only choice.
        Anybody with a manual paj thinking snorkels be warned.
        Nev.

Comment

• TheTaipan
          Banned
          • Jan 2009
          • sydney

I deal with ARB Artarmon in NSW and they cannot be more helpful and obliging.
          It is a franchise store so maybe that has something to do with it. On the odd occasion I have been to ARB Wentworthville, a company store, the staff don't seem to want to get off their 'rse to talk to you.

TJM Blacktown did the Airtec snorkle for me and again I can't fault them.

If I were you I would email ARB head office.

Alyn.

Comment

• Hookedon4wding
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by TheTaipan View Post
            If I were you I would email ARB head office.

Alyn.
            I'll give the manager a chance to respond to my email first. He's been the one I've dealt with for all of my stuff and he has been very helpful in the past. He wasn't in yesterday.

Having said that, Nev seems to have had no interest from ARB in fixing his.

Have you called Head Office Nev?

Seems to me like ARB are blaming Safari and from the sounds of it Safari just handball you back to ARB. They obviously knew other people with manuals had had the same issue but never mentioned it pre purchase.

Accessories fitted: BFG At 275/65/R17, Rhino Platform Rack, Toyota Cargo Barrier.

Comment

• Hookedon4wding
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2007

Originally posted by NIFTY NEV View Post
              What can I say.
              ARB dont know/care about my snorkel vibration at the same rev range as you stated hooked on.
              I stuffed some foam under my intake box & that helped a little bit but it's still crap.
              If I had any idea about the vibrations I never would have gone ahead with the snorkel & I can safely say that once i have the springs sorted I wont be heading arb's way again anytime soon.

Nev.
              Nev, is yours more noticeable when backing off the accelerator at the 2200-2300rpm range, like if you ease off to change gears? That's were mine is the worst. If I drive hard through that rev range, it's not as noticeable. I pretty much always change up at around 2300rpm though so it's bloody annoying!

Comment

• Yellowfin
                • Aug 2007

Sorry to hear you ARB experience. I have also used ARB Artarmon and my experiences have also been good (although expensive and have had a few hiccups). So it does seem it is a business by business thing.
                Hope you sort it out - definately stopped me thinking about a snorkle - I'll just take extra air filters, a water bra and go with someone with a winch!
                Yellowfin
                NS SWB R DiD - B/stone D694's, BushSkinz plates, LRA aux tank(65L), custom Milford barrier, MM rear bar, Kingsley steps, Rhino HD bars & platfrom, Icom UHF, VMS 500 GPS ,Alpine X001 & Focals
                Toyota LC200 TD V8
                - MT ATZ's, ARB Deluxe Bar, Lighforce 170's, GME TX3340 UHF, Lovells Sus & GVM upgrade, Lone Ranger fuel & water tank, pump & tap, Kaymar wheel carrier, Milford barrier, ARB dual battery, custom fridge cage w BW slide, Rhino HD bars & platform

Comment

• alex52506
                  • Feb 2009
                  • Dampier W.A

Hey,
                  I have been reading with interest you comments and concerns regarding the safari snorkle.
                  I have just fitted a genuine MM snorkle to my NP and couldnt be happier with it. After asking the question in the Gen 3 forum I was advised to go with the genuine one as no-one had had any issues with them. I was warned away from the Safari for the very problems you guys have mentioned.
                  Sorry you guys are having issues but you have confirmed for me that I have made the right choice.
                  alex52506
                  06 DID Auto VRX Pajero. IPF Spots, Millford cargo barrier, Mitsu Bull bar, Reese hitch, 2" Lift with Lovells, Bilsteins and Polyairs, Gen MM snorkel, 7" Touchscreen GPS... More to come (if the boss allows)!
                  Just installed:IPF900XS Spots HID converted.
                  Still to come, Custom ali sump guard.
                  Wish list, HEAPS!

Comment

• drew4x4
                    • Nov 2008

Originally posted by alex52506 View Post
                    Hey,
                    I have been reading with interest you comments and concerns regarding the safari snorkle.
                    I have just fitted a genuine MM snorkle to my NP and couldnt be happier with it. After asking the question in the Gen 3 forum I was advised to go with the genuine one as no-one had had any issues with them. I was warned away from the Safari for the very problems you guys have mentioned.
                    Sorry you guys are having issues but you have confirmed for me that I have made the right choice.
                    alex52506
                    MM don't offer a snorkel for the NS as far as I know. So we're stuck with Safari of Airtec.
                    2008 NS Pajero LWB Platinum DID,
                    -ARB Dual Battery-ARB Fridge-ARB Compressor-ARB Rear Locker-OME 2"Lift -ARB Deluxe Bar-9000lb Warn Winch-Safari Snorkel-Aux Fuel Tank-IPF Driving Lights-Uniden UHF-Rhino Full length Roof Rack-Iron Man Awning-Diff breathers-Jayco Expanda Outback

Comment

• outbackswine
                      • Apr 2009
                      • Mount Isa - The Back Of Bumf*ck

The usual ARB "now we have your $$ we will treat you however we like".

I was thinking about a snorkel, but not wanting gaping holes drilled in the front pillar, I decided against it, and as I have a manual NS, seems like it was the right decision for more than that reason alone.

I hope they wake up and sort it out for you.

Comment

• NIFTY NEV
                        • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Hookedon4wding View Post
                        Nev, is yours more noticeable when backing off the accelerator at the 2200-2300rpm range, like if you ease off to change gears? That's were mine is the worst. If I drive hard through that rev range, it's not as noticeable. I pretty much always change up at around 2300rpm though so it's bloody annoying!
                        Yep.
                        Seems to be around the 21-2200 rev range.Even in 3rd gear at about 50kms it drones.
                        When in 5th at 110-115 you get a vibration through the pedal and even the wheel slightly. ARB are doing the 3rd set of rear springs tommorrow and I told them about other forumites problems.
                        They said it could be where the snorkel comes out from the guard inner and said they;d look at it.
                        Will let you know but I,m not gonna hold my breath
                        Nev.

Comment

• JoshF
                          Valued Member
                          • Jan 2008
                          • Brisbane

Originally posted by Hookedon4wding View Post
                          I'll give the manager a chance to respond to my email first. He's been the one I've dealt with for all of my stuff and he has been very helpful in the past. He wasn't in yesterday.

Having said that, Nev seems to have had no interest from ARB in fixing his.

Have you called Head Office Nev?

Seems to me like ARB are blaming Safari and from the sounds of it Safari just handball you back to ARB. They obviously knew other people with manuals had had the same issue but never mentioned it pre purchase.
                          Ask ARB to remove the snorkel as it is obviously faulty and either replace it or restore your vehicle back to pre-snorkel condition :-0
                          NS Tall and Short (Trakryder/Bilstein 2" lift with Polyairs) DiD "R", Gunmetal on BFG 270/60/17 AT's, TJM Bullbar, 9500lb Ox Winch, Icom 450, AirTech Snorkel, Cargo Barrier, Dual Battery System to power a CF 40, ScanguageII, LRA Auxillary Tank
                          Custom Intercooler/Sump/Transmission Bash Plates and Sliders by http://www.bushskinz4x4.com.au/

Comment

• NIFTY NEV
                            • Jul 2008

Hi All.
                            ARB did a 3rd set of springs on friday and all seems well.
                            measurements from bottom of rim to guard are frt. 785, rr. 810.
                            These springs are 25mm longer and heavy duty than the ones in before and feel pretty good.
                            Left my caravan on overnight with 175kg ball weight and delliberatly left off reece bars
                            to see if it stayed down. It came back up no probs.
                            ARB mucked around with where the snorkel comes out of the body but made no difference at all. What next? I dont know. I have to take car back again in couple of weeks for spring/shock check but I get the feeling that I,m gonna have to live with it.
                            You do get used to the vibe after a few weeks and cause mitsis sound proofing is so good you tend not to hear the drone, just dont open a window!
                            Nev.

Comment

• brett
                              Valued Member
                              • Jun 2007

I thought there was only standard and heavy duty for the rear. What springs did they put in that were 25mm longer, are they a one off or do they have an ARB part number?

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X