• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tomwithannl
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2010
    • Maria Coast Tasmania.

Originally posted by benckj View Post
    If it makes you feel any better this situation is happening with a number of different cars in OZ. I had a forum mate drive his beloved Audi TT into the dealer for a WOF only to have a phone call telling him car was no longer road worthy due to air bag replacement and he could not collect. Audi bought the car back off him at an 'agreed price' and his car was sent to the crusher.

There are generally several different solutions which could be implementated (ie replacement of steering wheel from newer model) but dealers are being instructed not to do. You as the owner can do this and possibly get approved but once brought into dealership they are in full control. Only way to collect vehicle is by signing disclaimer load onto flat bed truck only to have rejected on next Rego.
    Yes it is happening to other cars, but I have yet to see another MC class of off road passenger vehicle like the NL Pajero involved. They fall under a completely different ADR ruling.
    All I can say is if you really want to keep your NL DON'T approach your dealer YET. It's not as if your car was 100% safe to drive last week and now it's 100% not.
    But if you want to get rid of it anyway go ahead.

Tom
    1998 NL GLS 3.5 Auto. Bocar alloy bar with 13000lb I-Max winch & engine watchdog.
    1953 Morris Minor ute
    1990 Nissan Scargo van (The SNAIL)
    2005 Mercedes ML350 Special Edition 4Matic

Comment

• aussieguy
      • Oct 2015
      • Brisbane

To those that have or are going through the process can you please state which NL you have widebody or escape would be advantageous as I have checked my vin several times and it comes back with no issue for a narrow body escape 02/00 manufacture.
      05/97 NK 3.5L DOHC - DEAD
      02/00 NL 3.5L SOHC

Comment

• gemster
        Valued Member
        • Aug 2012
        • Gold Coast

Its pretty easy, Do You Have Airbags? if Yes then you are caught up in this... If Not then your NL has just increased in price by a few $$$ Several have also found that on one site their 4x4 is NOT listed and on another site it IS listed......

Gemster...
        YES. ITS A MITZY . 97 NL 3.5 GLS AUTO (Formally owned by geopaj)__ Snorkel ,2 Uniden Uhfs , Roof Console, 2"lift, TT Suspension, Dual bat, Redarc System, BFG KO2's All Terrains, 55L sub tank, Pioneer sound, Milford cargo barrier, Extractors, SS exhaust, Rear camp light, Free Wheel Hubs, Improved Rear Storage unit, Alarm, Led interior lamps...
        And a 1999 NL LWB... Called 'Project Covid".. Stock Standard.
        ..Both with No Airbags. We die like real Men

Comment

• tomwithannl
          Valued Member
          • Jan 2010
          • Maria Coast Tasmania.

Vin listing for NL recall

Here is the link to the page that has the list of NL VIN numbers as an EXCEL download.
          Note that the list is a full listing of all NL models, each with a different VIN prefix. Make sure to check all the numbers and letters match your vin NOT just the last set of numbers.

Tom
          1998 NL GLS 3.5 Auto. Bocar alloy bar with 13000lb I-Max winch & engine watchdog.
          1953 Morris Minor ute

Comment

• aussieguy
            • Oct 2015
            • Brisbane

Originally posted by tomwithannl View Post
            Here is the link to the page that has the list of NL VIN numbers as an EXCEL download.
            Note that the list is a full listing of all NL models, each with a different VIN prefix. Make sure to check all the numbers and letters match your vin NOT just the last set of numbers.

Tom

SWEET thx so much, not in that list.
            05/97 NK 3.5L DOHC - DEAD
            02/00 NL 3.5L SOHC

Comment

• MARKx4
              • Dec 2015
              • Penrith

Yes it is happening to other cars, but I have yet to see another MC class of off road passenger vehicle like the NL Pajero involved. They fall under a completely different ADR ruling.
              All I can say is if you really want to keep your NL DON'T approach your dealer YET. It's not as if your car was 100% safe to drive last week and now it's 100% not.

Tom
              That is a fine approach to take until the states start cancelling the rego on the vehicles not bought back.

Comment

• DibbyDibbyDJ
                Valued Member
                • Sep 2019
                • Victoria

Y

Tom
                I agree. Dealers are told NOT to release cars back to the owner that are not fixable.

Are they allowed to do that??
                2024 Outlander

Diamond Technician at Main Dealer

mitsubishi-forums

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                  Valued Member
                  • Aug 2016
                  • Greater Sydney

Originally posted by DibbyDibbyDJ View Post
                  I agree. Dealers are told NOT to release cars back to the owner that are not fixable.

Are they allowed to do that??

Told by whom?

Comment

• tomwithannl
                    Valued Member
                    • Jan 2010
                    • Maria Coast Tasmania.

Originally posted by MARKx4 View Post
                    That is a fine approach to take until the states start cancelling the rego on the vehicles not bought back.
                    When I suggested not contacting the dealer yet I meant don't go racing to them in the next few days, Unless you want to hand your vehicle over.
                    There are MANY people fighting this decision.
                    What you should do is contact MMAL and get them to update the vehicle owners details and wait for a recall letter to be sent out.
                    The NADI5-TA recall is voluntary and as such there has not been a time set for completion of the recall. It is only if it gets escalated to a COMPULSORY recall that a time for completion is set. This is different to the TAKATA recall which is compulsory which started in Australia on 28 Feb 2018 and made a finishing date as 28 Feb 2020 (and there are still vehicles that haven't been fixed)
                    Before forwarding vehicle details of non rectified (bought back) to reg authority the Manufacturer must have tried all efforts to contact the owner of an affected vehicle. Rego can only be cancelled after a warning letter has been sent out to the registered owner and they generally have 28 days after that to present their vehicle.

The statement made by MMAL to "stop driving the effected vehicles" is only to cover the legal fact that they now have knowledge of a "POSSIBLE" safety fault in their vehicles. It is NOT a legal requirement to stop, Mitsubishi are not the law.
                    There are 56 million possible faulty airbags worldwide and to date there have been 29 deaths in total

I am not TELLING people what to do. that is their decision entirely

Tom
                    1953 Morris Minor ute

Comment

• stumagoo
                      Valued Member
                      • Jun 2014
                      • Perth WA S.O.R

Originally posted by erad View Post
                      This is ridiculous. In reality, you have more chance of being t-Boned by a B Double half way across the Nullarbor than the airbag going off in your face accidentally. The best solution would be to replace the airbags with newer (safer) design, but that is obviously not possible with Mitsubishi. I wonder what the other manufacturers are doing in this respect? As a second alternative, at least the owner should be given the choice to de-activate and remove the airbag (or at least the explosive bits) and then drive a vehicle with no airbags, as we used to do for many years. Many older cars never had them and some are still o the road. Obviously the value of these cars would be much lower (because they lack the inherent safety of the airbag) but that has to be better than "giving" your car away. Hey - in 10 years time (if I am still driving) I may be faced with the same situation...

the issue is not about airbags going off accidentally its about them being a claymore infront of the driver....

the crap is there is provision in NCOP to remove and fit with the interior of the same year /model that has no airbags (I have also confirmed this with a modified car engineer here in WA who has got exemptions along these lines many times) - it is acceptable but it seems the authorities are saying no to it... well the WA guys are.
                      1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
                      *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
                      1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• DibbyDibbyDJ
                        Valued Member
                        • Sep 2019
                        • Victoria

Originally posted by BruceandBobbi View Post
                        Told by whom?
                        Its part of a document from MMAL regarding any recall. They are not allowed to release any vehicle that has an outstanding Recall. I believe in this instance though you can sign a waiver saying you have refused the offer of a buy back

Edit: official wording

If your
                        vehicle is confirmed by a Mitsubishi Dealer to be fitted with an affected NADI 5AT airbag it is
                        recommended you no longer drive this vehicle and to leave your vehicle at the Dealership. We will
                        arrange the safe environmentally responsible disposal of your
                        vehicle.
                        Last edited by DibbyDibbyDJ; 21-01-20, 07:55 PM.
                        2024 Outlander

Diamond Technician at Main Dealer

mitsubishi-forums

Comment

• arrow
                          Valued Member
                          • Nov 2007

They are not allowed to release any vehicle that has an outstanding Recall.
                          and

it is recommended you no longer drive this vehicle and to leave your vehicle at the Dealership
                          are completely different.

you can sign a waiver saying you have refused the offer of a buy back
                          Which means they CAN release the vehicle.

As a matter of interest, have any buy back offers actually been promulgated?

Comment

• stumagoo
                            Valued Member
                            • Jun 2014
                            • Perth WA S.O.R

Interested in finding out from.someone who has signed the waiver to keep their vehicle. could you please check on the website and see if the recall status of your vehicle is still active or has been changed to complete
                            1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
                            *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
                            1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• Puppa
                              • Jul 2019
                              • Melbourne

When I dropped mine off yesterday I signed some paperwork (which I have a copy of) and nothing on it said they can keep the car. It was just service record paperwork. The dealer did tell me that they are looking to sort out the people who have dropped the vehicles off within 14 days of the drop off. Lets see if that actually occurs. Will keep you updated once I get Mitsubishi call with with an offer from the assessor.

Comment

• swamprat
                                • Jun 2012
                                • western vic

can anyone tell if its all takata airbags or certain models of air bag , mine has BAM-PT0593 printed on them
                                ND shorty 2.6, EFI, suspension lift , body lift ,fuel tank lift,6 point alloy cage, front bar & winch, upgraded front brakes, 35s"
                                NJ lwb 3l auto ,front bar HID driving lights, roof racks as required
                                International D1510 4WD 6bt cummins ,air bags 37"s etc

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X