• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ent
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2014
    • Tasmania

Mini jump starters

About six months back brought a mini jump starter that uses a L-ion battery from Autobarn. It is a SJS 12800mah job claiming to start three litre diesel and six litre petrol motors. A couple attempts failed mainly due to the battery not being the problem or me stuffing up so went back to jumper leads. Anyway, took a while before struck a vehicle in need. Luck would have it a 6.3 litre Caddy. A quick test revealed the click of the starter relay but not much else.

Ok worthwhile target to push the little beast to its limits. Say four months under the seat not been charged. Test suggested full charge so give it a go. Bit of sparking when connecting was promising. Let it connected for thirty seconds and the Caddy turned over slowly but with not enough kick. Ok rest for thirty or more seconds and try again. Caddy turned quicker and burst into life. It worked.

Must admit when buying it I avoided my usual overkill nature and dodged it's much more expensive bigger brother as rather dubious of such a thing. Laptop will run off it but not for long and two iPad charges and it is flat. Thought I had been conned but it did start this hunk of American iron bigger than its claimed capacity with a flattish battery.

Probably now in retrospect should have brought its bigger brother, but it does neatly fit and live under the driver's seat while its bigger brother might not in is bigger plastic hard case. The starting knocked it back to three of its four bars so a few more attempts left. Series number suggests 500 amps cold cranking but manual claims 300amps.

So put one on your Christmas list as they do work. Found out work has one used to start trucks driven infrequently. General engine size around three to four litres diesel and I think it is a 16800 or greater capacity.
    2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.
  • Wazzap
    • Sep 2015
    • NSW

Not quite as much of a challenge as yours, but I recently had to use my Powerall jump starter (similar to yours, small 12,000mAh LiON battery) to jump my 3.5L Petrol Pajero - was completely drained to the point that the starter relay wouldn't click, no lights on the dash when turning the key etc - hell it was even so dead the jump starter didn't recognise it was connected to start with (but does have an override). I was surprised with how easily it turned over with the jump starter! Hell, I've had other cars take longer to start when hooked up running car > non-starting car than I did with this tiny battery! IMO these kick the ass of the old large jump start packs (that usually have a compressor etc in them) - every time I've tried to use the large jump start packs that have been sitting for a month, they have nothing left - this little guy however would probably still have enough for a jump start after 12 months!

Mine hasn't been charged in probably 6+ months, still had 80% battery, and starting the Paj didn't seem to drop this at all! Powerall claim the jumper will do up to a 6.4L petrol engine, and 20x jump starts off a full charge!

Just in case anyone is picturing the old large style, I've attached a pic of the one I bought.
    Attached Files

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
    Working...
    X