• Show
Clear All
  • awbeattie381
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2011
    • Inner West, Sydney

Headlight upgrade

Hi all,

Not sure if this has been asked before but what is the easiest way to upgrade standard headlights? Do new jeep wrangler headlights fit? Can I change the bulb or is there an alternative? I don't want to spend hundreds. I am in a bit of a lighting mood after fitting new driving lights after a lens fell out of my last set on my last trip, and I have just ordered some interior LEDs from HK for about $2. Can't wait to fit them and see the difference!
    Andrew
    1989 NG Superwagon V6
    2017 Subaru Forester Diesel
    1974 Viscount Valiant Caravan
  • dirtypaj
    • Mar 2011
    • toowoomba

You can buy the phillips +100 bulbs which i find pretty good for halogen or see if anyone makes a prjector hid replacement housing but that would be a pricey excercise
    nl gls ute, custom barwork, soon to be either turbo 6g74 or ls1

Comment

• TheTaipan
      Banned
      • Jan 2009
      • sydney

Originally posted by awbeattie381 View Post
      Hi all,

Not sure if this has been asked before but what is the easiest way to upgrade standard headlights? Do new jeep wrangler headlights fit? Can I change the bulb or is there an alternative? I don't want to spend hundreds. I am in a bit of a lighting mood after fitting new driving lights after a lens fell out of my last set on my last trip, and I have just ordered some interior LEDs from HK for about $2. Can't wait to fit them and see the difference!

Mate way back in 1988 I fitted 90/130W. Don't know if you are still able to purchase them.

Just make sure you use relays to power them.

Comment

• Steve_H
        • Feb 2012
        • Melbourne

You can get the Philips +100 globes for about $30 from the UK.. Worth a try.
        2018 NX GLS - Stock

2002 NM Exceed 3.5l Auto. Oricom 280 UHF, Full Boar Snorkel, Maxxis 980's. Diff breather kit *still* waiting to be fitted. Heading for the great scrap yard in the sky very soon.

Comment

• awbeattie381
          Valued Member
          • Apr 2011
          • Inner West, Sydney

thanks guys for the suggestions.

Excuse my ignorance but does the one bulb cover both high and low beam?
          Andrew
          1989 NG Superwagon V6

Comment

• TheTaipan
            Banned
            • Jan 2009
            • sydney

Originally posted by awbeattie381 View Post
            thanks guys for the suggestions.

Excuse my ignorance but does the one bulb cover both high and low beam?

It did in the NA mate, tha'ts why I put 90/130 in.

Relays are a must if you go down that path.

I blew the head light fusible link 4AM on the Putty rd. Not a nice feeling I can tell you.

Comment

• bakerboy
              "valued 3000+ member"
              • May 2008
              • Perth

re do the wiring loom, more effort but a must if you want to make the best of the higher wattage globes
              If I agreed with you, then we would both be wrong

'89 NG Paj, 3L V6, now running 2" suspension lift, 33" Micky T Baja Claws's, Front LOKKA & 12,000lb winch

Comment

• MSF
                Valued Member
                • Jul 2009
                • Sydney, Northern Beaches

Upgrading the H4 Halogen bulbs would be the first step (provided your reflectors are still in good condition.) The H4 globes are the standard type and are 55/60 (55W low beam and 60W high beam in the one globe..) - so 90/130 will make a huge difference - provided your wiring is capable of handling the extra wattage and the reflectors/Glass is still in good condition.. If the reflectors are tarnished or the glass is cloudy/dirty - then they should be replaced...

Here is an example of a wiring upgrade kit

This is what the H4 Globe looks like

The filament at the top is the low beam (note that it is half covered to direct the light to the reflector in a certain way so it shines low and doesn't dazzle on-coming drivers)
                The bottom filament is the high beam and shines 360 degrees so it gives maximum output. These globes (regardless of their wattage or "Plus 50/Plus 100" output are designed with a standard Halogen headlight glass in mind...

Note - DO NOT put HID style globes in unless you change the reflector/Glass to suit. (not an easy thing to do)
                Using a HID style globe in a standard H4 reflector/Glass will just scatter the light and you will piss off everyone coming towards you..

ABOVE - the H4 Glass has directional cuts /pattern to direct the beam correctly

ABOVE - This is what a HID globe looks like - there is not the same 'control' over the bulb's output or direction. So it's almost like having a high beam pattern

ABOVE - The HID or "projector" glass is designed to direct the HID Globe light pattern correctly
                Last edited by MSF; 03-03-14, 10:09 PM.

Comment

• awbeattie381
                  Valued Member
                  • Apr 2011
                  • Inner West, Sydney

thanks for that info Jas, I might quickly double check the condition of my reflectors/lens etc. From memory they are both in pretty good nick. If my memory is correct, I might have a look at ordering some bulbs and an upgrade kit. If all goes pear shaped I can always run to my local mechanic with my tail between my legs

My father in law is an industrial sparky by trade so I might hit him up to assist when I have all the bits and pieces.
                  Andrew
                  1989 NG Superwagon V6

Comment

• awbeattie381
                    Valued Member
                    • Apr 2011
                    • Inner West, Sydney

So I finally got around to getting new globes (because I blew one low beam filament). As easy as it sounded I ended up getting my auto electrician to install. He went with 80/100 globes which apparently are brighter than the old 90/130. Please dont tell me he is pulling my leg lol

He did a very neat job. Installed relays and replaced the plugs that connect to the back of each headlight.

He is a fussy sort of bloke, very unhappy about the way the dual battery system has been wired up (too messy). It was a 4wd shop in Wollongong that I used at the time (a long time ago).

I havent tested the lights yet so cant comment on performance. Anything will be better than the candle power I had previously!
                    Andrew
                    1989 NG Superwagon V6

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X