• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

Thanks for the feedback folks.

Stephen, I notice the gap at the bottom of the adaptor, where it doesn't quite meet the shoulder on the snorkel. Is that as far as it will go? It was intended to meet the shoulder, so I'm intrigued if the adaptor has "bottomed" on the top of the snorkel, or is that as far as it would go before it wedged solidly? Dicko, is yours the same? I suspect a design change may be required...

Also, I noticed you have the slot facing forward (which is understandable, as that's where it sits when the Logo is forward). The Top Spin ejects dust and dirt out of that slot; a ram effect at higher speeds may have an adverse affect on how the Top Spin works. I position mine so the slot faces backwards, working on the theory that there might be something resembling a venturi affect to help ejection at higher road speeds.

Cheers.
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Dicko1
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2014
      • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
      Thanks for the feedback folks.

Stephen, I notice the gap at the bottom of the adaptor, where it doesn't quite meet the shoulder on the snorkel. Is that as far as it will go? It was intended to meet the shoulder, so I'm intrigued if the adaptor has "bottomed" on the top of the snorkel, or is that as far as it would go before it wedged solidly? Dicko, is yours the same? I suspect a design change may be required...

Also, I noticed you have the slot facing forward (which is understandable, as that's where it sits when the Logo is forward). The Top Spin ejects dust and dirt out of that slot; a ram effect at higher speeds may have an adverse affect on how the Top Spin works. I position mine so the slot faces backwards, working on the theory that there might be something resembling a venturi affect to help ejection at higher road speeds.

Cheers.
      Mine is a really good tight fir on the snorkel. I also made sure to point the small side slot to the rear as its purpose is to eject dust. I,ve taken mine off but am very happy with the fit. Mine went to the bottom for a nice clean look...reckon Stephon,s would if he used a bit more grunt.
      Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Scouter1
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2013
        • Sydney NSW

Take 2

Thanks for the feedback gentlemen - extra grunt applied along with cleaning some dirt residue off the mating faces and easing the expansion slot a little. It is a snug, almost press fit so definitely not going anywhere... Also turned the Top Spin around so slot is facing backwards, will give it a go next week on the tracks.

Cheers,
        Stephen
        Attached Files
        2011 Silver NT GLS DiD Auto with extra bits - build thread http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=36099

Comment

• nj swb
          Resident
          • Jun 2007
          • Adelaide

Thanks Stephen.

I suspect I need to develop an Installation Tips sheet to include in the packaging. Any suggestions for content?
          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Scouter1
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2013
            • Sydney NSW

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
            I suspect I need to develop an Installation Tips sheet to include in the packaging. Any suggestions for content?
            • Remove existing ram head by loosening hose clamp
            • Clean snorkel mating surface
            • Install new elbow by gently opening expansion slot with medium flat blade screw driver and wiggling into place while applying downward pressure
            • Make sure elbow slides right down to snorkel step so is a flush fit
            • Install Top Spin adaptor with side slot facing rear of vehicle
            • Tighten both hose clamps until snug
            2011 Silver NT GLS DiD Auto with extra bits - build thread http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=36099

Comment

• nj swb
              Resident
              • Jun 2007
              • Adelaide

So, it's been a while since this thread last received an update, probably because not a lot has happened.

However, last year a friend asked if I could make an adaptor for his FJ Cruiser snorkel, which is significantly closer to vertical than the Pajero snorkel.

My first attempt at modifying the 3D model wasn't pretty, so I used a different approach to developing the model, which produced a much nicer result:

I was so happy with the result that I re-modelled the Pajero version:

As part of the re-model, I made a minor tweak to the taper on the Pajero version, to overcome the excessive tightness that a few have experienced.

I'm off to the High Country for Easter, where the FJ Cruiser model should get it's first test, along with the Pajero Mk 2.

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• nj swb
                Resident
                • Jun 2007
                • Adelaide

After receiving some feedback from one of my first customers I realised that some of the more important information about using a Top Spin is distributed through the thread, so I've edited the first post to add the pricing information:

Fuel Consumption:
                Use of the Top Spin is recommended for off-road / dusty conditions only. As described earlier in this thread, the Top Spin does increase fuel consumption at highway speeds - about 1 litre/100km at 100km/h. See here for a little more information.

Edit: a year or so later, I crossed the Simpson Desert with twisted32 - twice. I had my Top Spin on, and my NT used about 3 litres more across the desert than his NW - roughly 3% more in off-road conditions.

Noise:
                The Top Spin also makes significant noise when spinning at high engine loads / speeds. This is definitely a trade-off if you're travelling with the windows down.

For a brief discussion of Top Spin vs Full View pre-cleaners, see here.

Some other links in the thread are also now broken; I'll try to find current links.

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• nj swb
                  Resident
                  • Jun 2007
                  • Adelaide

For those who may be interested, I have a few Top Spins in stock at the moment. Inevitably, pricing for the Top Spins have gone up since I first posted, but adaptors remain the same - first post has been updated with new pricing, I'm not sure if I missed any other references to price in between.

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X