Below Nav Bar Ad Module

Collapse

Review "Tradesmans" Flat Rack Oval Steel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gus
    Administrator
    • Mar 2008
    • Traralgon. Vic

Review "Tradesmans" Flat Rack Oval Steel.

Hi all,

It seems like ages that I've been looking at what rack to whack on my Paj.. Finally decided on the Tradesman Flat Rack Oval Steel.
    Rated to carry 100kg spread across the rack. Rack itself is 32kg.

What has always stoped me is the height sitting on cross bars or for me anyway the profile was just to high, some even looked like baskets sitting on the roof.. I know it's each to their own & all wont agree with how I see it & that's fine too

These racks are well made & a top finish in my case as the NM didn't come with roof rails the Flat Rack comes with Rhino tracks & the 6 legs attach straight to them which means a very low profile & solid fitment, the rack is supplied with a nice roof profiled wind deflector too.

After the install I was expecting wind noise after having racks on other vehicles. To my complete surprise I can say none at all just the same old diesel & snorkel sucking air as always

I'm heading away for a few weeks so will be interesting to see if it effects the economy & if so by how much..

Rec Retail $1138 + Freight & Instalation
    As Creighton's TJM are a Commercial Advertiser on this forum give them a call for a special price.. 03) 5176 6666 ask for Jenene or Darrin.

A few Pics:

Gus.
    VX 200 Series 4.5L Twin Turbo-Diesel V8 Landcruiser HERE
    NM Exceed 3.2 DID Auto Pajero. (SOLD) With a few Mods. HERE

How to get Forum Decals
  • grhyso
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2012
    • Perth

Looks tops Gus, Probably the lowest profile rack I've seen on any car.

I'm guessing it has a 100kg rating to it? and what is the weight of the rack itself?
    2010 NT GLS DiD Auto Silver | TJM T13 Bullbar | Lightforce LED 180 Spotlights | Runva 11XP | Dual Batteries | TJM snorkel | Bushskinz & TJM bash plates | Custom alloy roof rack | Sunseeker II Awning | MDC RTT | EGR Block | Bilstein/Lovells | Dick Cepek Fun Country tyres | Wet seat seatcovers | Uniden UH7760NB | Parrot Asteroid Smart | Morel, Soundstream and Kicker Audio | MM Cargo Barrier | Storage Drawer | Onboard water system |

See our latest adventures at http://www.treksandtinroofs.com

Comment

• Nab
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2012
      • Perth

I really liked the look of them but a full basket was quoted at $1690 fitted.

Look really well made and look great.
      SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
      NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

• Goodsy
        Who ya gunna call....
        • Dec 2010
        • Hervey Bay

Best looking rack I've seen on a Pajero yet. Pricey but looks mean a lot.

Whats the weight of the rack Gus?
        .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
        NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

• Gus
          Administrator
          • Mar 2008
          • Traralgon. Vic

That would be correct Tim, (Goodsy ), & grhyso. Rated to carry 100kg. Rack itself is 32kg.

Gus.

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

• Goodsy
            Who ya gunna call....
            • Dec 2010
            • Hervey Bay

A lot lighter than I thought it would be.
            Obviously engineered to keep the weight down.
            100kg load rating sound quite conservative.
            NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

• Goodsy
              Who ya gunna call....
              • Dec 2010
              • Hervey Bay

Originally posted by Nab View Post
              I really liked the look of them but a full basket was quoted at $1690 fitted.
              I had my snorkel, suspension and bullbar fitted at Creighton's TJM.
              I could not beat their prices. And I rang around as it's a 2 hour drive for me to get there.
              Well worth a phone call guys you will find them hard to beat.
              Also there workmanship is second to none as a bonus.
              NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

• grhyso
                Valued Member
                • Aug 2012
                • Perth

Originally posted by Goodsy View Post
                A lot lighter than I thought it would be.
                Obviously engineered to keep the weight down.
                100kg load rating sound quite conservative.
                Agreed, that's only 5kg's heavier than my rhino Pioneer aluminium rack.

Goodsy I'd say they rate the rack to 100kg's as that's all the roof can handle. Wouldn't want them telling people it can carry 150kg's then someone load it up with that much and have the car damaged by overloading the roof.

We should also be mindful that the 32kg's needs to be removed from our available load as the roof is carrying that weight plus what you load, so really your only able to carry 68kg's legally.
                2010 NT GLS DiD Auto Silver | TJM T13 Bullbar | Lightforce LED 180 Spotlights | Runva 11XP | Dual Batteries | TJM snorkel | Bushskinz & TJM bash plates | Custom alloy roof rack | Sunseeker II Awning | MDC RTT | EGR Block | Bilstein/Lovells | Dick Cepek Fun Country tyres | Wet seat seatcovers | Uniden UH7760NB | Parrot Asteroid Smart | Morel, Soundstream and Kicker Audio | MM Cargo Barrier | Storage Drawer | Onboard water system |

See our latest adventures at http://www.treksandtinroofs.com

Comment

• Nab
                  Valued Member
                  • Mar 2012
                  • Perth

Originally posted by grhyso View Post
                  Wouldn't want them telling people it can carry 150kg's then someone load it up with that much and have the car damaged by overloading the roof.
                  That's a good point, most steel roof racks I've seen could(have) handle more and is tempting too...

My Tracklander has a 200kg rating but then says to check manufacturer specs.

SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
                  NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

• Gus
                    Administrator
                    • Mar 2008
                    • Traralgon. Vic

Thought I'd let you all know how impressed I am with the Tradesman Rack..

Note: Rack has the awning on only!

Wind noise is just about non existent to my complete surprise even the awning hasn't added to it! But more importantly is the way it hasn't seemed to effect the economy whatsoever On the way up to Brissy 1st Fill used 142ltrs, (inc 60 usable in sub), 1294 Ks about 11ltrs/100ks fully loaded & the last 400 ks was into a head wind I then filled up again in Brissy 46ltrs 512 ks which floored me 9ltrs/100ks.. Now I've driven around Brissy a bit I 'm pretty sure I didn't completely fill so am guessing it will work out more like 10ltrs/100ks next fill will tell me..
                    So very happy so far.

Gus.

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

• dolphin
                      Valued Member
                      • Jan 2008

a friend has a very simular roof rack like this one in pic which he also paid over $1000 for and he does not like the way it has been finished off from factory to mounting. it has small rust spots around the weld areas coming through the powdercoat finish plus all bolts/ nuts / washers used are just plain steell and are also starting to rust.
                      he advised he could and should have had a custom made aluminium rack made up and used a set of 4 x rhino roof mounts and a full set of stainless bolts etc. this would have come in at under the $1000 mark and would have lasted atlot longer in years.
                      NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

• Gus
                        Administrator
                        • Mar 2008
                        • Traralgon. Vic

O'K.. not the same rack! The review is on the Tradesman Flat Rack Oval Steel dolphin, the finish is excellent & I'll be surprised if I get the same issues..
                        As the rack will be living on the roof...Time will tell..

Gus.

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

• Gus
                          Administrator
                          • Mar 2008
                          • Traralgon. Vic

Originally posted by Gus View Post
                          ........1st Fill used 142ltrs, (inc 60 usable in sub), 1294 Ks about 11ltrs/100ks fully loaded & the last 400 ks was into a head wind I then filled up again in Brissy 46ltrs 512 ks which floored me 9ltrs/100ks.. Now I've driven around Brissy a bit I 'm pretty sure I didn't completely fill so am guessing it will work out more like 10ltrs/100ks next fill will tell me..
                          O'k filled today to the brim..added last Klms & Ltrs together

46ltrs for 512ks to 40ltrs for 308ks

86ltrs for 820ks = 10.5/100ks so happy with that.. Will be interesting on way back home after having the 3" Exhaust fitted..

Gus.
                          Last edited by Gus; 25-09-13, 10:06 PM. Reason: Added correct ltrs/100ks after fill today.

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

• AndrewF
                            • Jun 2011
                            • Burwood East

G'day,

Keen to get your impressions on the exhaust and the difference it's made...

Cheers,
                            Andrew
                            2011 PB manual Challenger, Bushskinz, Dual batteries, 2" Ultimate lift, snorkel, ARB steel Bullbar, BFG 265/75/16 AT's, other bits n bobs.

Comment

• Gus
                              Administrator
                              • Mar 2008
                              • Traralgon. Vic

Andrew have a look at Creighton's TJM in the Commercial Advertiser's section..

HERE

Quote: I have been listening to Gus & can report that we are in the process of having a 3" Mandrel Bent Dump Pipe & Exhaust with high flow Cat to suit Gen 3 on, (other makes & models will be available but on an order basis), which will be available soon.. Gus will be having 1 installed & will review prior to us offering as we wish to make sure they're A1.. Gus will also be reviewing other Products & in doing so we have agreed he writes them as he sees it!

Gus.

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X