• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davecambo
    • Jan 2014
    • goulburn

accessory belts

hey I need to tighten my ac belt as I have a squeal from there. I sprayed water on it and it stayed there so I believe it is belt tension not pulley.

Anyway, when i had the timing belt changed i didn't put new accessory belts on so maybe they are ratshit, ill see what happens anyway.

can someone please tell me how to tighten? i have the workshop manual that says crack the nut on the pulley then turn adjusting bolt, but it doesn't say which way. is it lefty loosey righty tighty? i might change the belt also while im there but will still need to know the above answer.
  • davecambo
    • Jan 2014
    • goulburn

Are all the tensioners on each belt spring loaded kind or are they the break the nut loose kind.

Comment

• FIS9076
      • Jun 2010
      • Western Sydney

Hey mate, the tensioner is basically a nut on the back of the pulley that's got a long threaded bolt to it. If you go to tighten it light a normal bolt, that'll tighten the belt for you...

Nothing is spring loaded, other than perhaps spring washers on the locking nuts in the centre of the tensioners.

BUT, if you've sprayed water onto the belt and the noise didn't go away, you may be in need of a new set of pulleys instead of the belt (just depending on how loose the belt really is I guess - usually ive found that a little bit of water will silence a loose belt for a little while)

Comment

• davecambo
        • Jan 2014
        • goulburn

Do I need to first loosen the pulley nut then tighten the adjuster?

Comment

• cookie
          • Feb 2008
          • Perth

Yep, loosen pulley, tighten adjuster, tighten pulley. I had the pulley bearing on mine start squealing which was pretty easy to replace.
          2014 NW GLX
          ----------------------------------------------
          Previously: 98 Challenger, 2 inch lift, koni shocks, ARB bullbar, Lightforce 240 Blitz, redarc dual battery sys, UHF, bushman fridge, Wrangler ATR's

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X