• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brangus
    • Oct 2009

Foot well leak from door

Hi all,

I have a SWB 08 NSX Pajero, and of late it has been gathering water at the forward point of where the door closes on the scuff plate and then getting high enough to leak onto the carpet.

I have read in other forums that people have cut a "V" shape into the bottom forward part of the door seal to let this water drain away. I have just started to park outside, so I had never noticed this before but apparently it's common. Not good for a near new car.

Is there another option? And who else has had this problem?

Cheers and thanks in advance.
  • johno
    • Nov 2009

Johno

I have a 2009 nt Pajero and also had a 2007 model and they both leaked when parked on a angle or sloping ground. I had them both back to the dealer and they sprayed water over the car and they said that it never leaked. So I must have been dreaming, or so they implied. If you find out what they do or where they put the v cut let me know please. Motor wise they are a great vehicle, but need a bit more attention to finish I believe. I have done over 90000 in a little over two years and cannot fault the towing ability or fuel consumption.

Comment

• scorpion 42
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2011
      • London. uk

footwell leak from door

Originally posted by johno View Post
      I have a 2009 nt Pajero and also had a 2007 model and they both leaked when parked on a angle or sloping ground. I had them both back to the dealer and they sprayed water over the car and they said that it never leaked. So I must have been dreaming, or so they implied. If you find out what they do or where they put the v cut let me know please. Motor wise they are a great vehicle, but need a bit more attention to finish I believe. I have done over 90000 in a little over two years and cannot fault the towing ability or fuel consumption.
      This V shaped cut has ben going on here in the UK for the last couple of years, seeing that we get more rain than you guys do in AUS, the way they cured it and stopped it flooding the well, was to cut the V shaped cut, into the bottom corners of the front door rubber seal, both front and rear corner of both the drivers side/ passengers side and if applicable, they have done the rear doors too, if LWB trucks, this as certainly cured the problem, so they report.
      hope this helps you guys out. there was also another find done on here, not all that long ago and that was found, that someone had been recently been doing some re wireing from the engine compartment via a grommet in the firewall and they found that the water had been running down the wires and ending up in the well from behind the glovebox, so you can also check this out too, OK.

Comment

• achjimmy
        Valued Member
        • Nov 2009
        • Blue Mtns

Hey Scorpion a little OT but I think you will find average rainfall in Australia exceeds the UK considerably. It doesn't rain 90% of the time here like the UK ( well not normally but 2011 bit of exception) but when it rains it can rain hard, not the drizzle you get in the UK
        Travel safe

Jim

MY13 Landcrusier VX
        MY10 Pajero Platnium with bits now sold to Spiderpig.
        99 Rodeo TD dual cab.

Comment

• scorpion 42
          Valued Member
          • Jan 2011
          • London. uk

Foot well leak from door

Originally posted by achjimmy View Post
          Hey Scorpion a little OT but I think you will find average rainfall in Australia exceeds the UK considerably. It doesn't rain 90% of the time here like the UK ( well not normally but 2011 bit of exception) but when it rains it can rain hard, not the drizzle you get in the UK
          Yeah, Yeah, Jimmy, I know it rains every now and again in Aus, just like it did in Malaya, when I was there in the middle fifties, they called them, monsoons, but it only happened once while I was there and it went on for a few days, you have had the same thing happen up around Melbourne area in 2010/11, but there you go, was just trying to explain as to the amount of rain that drops up here, is all, Whe hi jimmy ya olright.

Comment

• brett
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2007

cutting a V in the door rubber is not a real fix, it's just allows the water to not build up on the interior side of the rubber and drain away. A real fix would be to stop the water leaking into the interior side of the rubber. I'm not sure the V cut will stop the water if the car is on a slope as from what I've seen the water drips onto the scuff plate and runs towards the rubber but if the car is leaning left or right it runs off the scuff plate and into the footwell.
            I've never had a problem with flooding but plenty of others have, I have noticed though the odd drop of water on the scuff plate after a wash. The problem is the water gets inside the door and is leaking past the plastic sheild behind the door trim, if you open the door and look around the bottom of the trim where it meets the door you will see a few little drops of water. There shouldn't be water here as it's on the inside of the door rubber. This is something unique to NS/NT as it was never a problem on the NP. I haven't bothered to do anything about it as my car is always garaged but I don't want to be caught by it. The only real fix is to take the door trim off and see where the water is getting past the plastic shield. There were quite a few posts on this previously, I think someone found it was coming in somewhere around the speaker.

Comment

• TheTaipan
              Banned
              • Jan 2009
              • sydney

Here you are pom.

Average rainfall.

Brisbane 1.2 metres. Sydney 1.175 metres. Canberra 629mm. Melbourne 650mm. Adelaide 520mm. Perth 790mm. Darwin 1.7 metres. Cairns 1.9 metres.

London a piddling 585mm.

Comment

• AGOR
                • May 2009
                • Canberra

After the Easter deluge in Sydney I had approx a litre of water in the drivers footwell. NOT HAPPY. I was driving a new BMW 5 series for the weekend so only noticed the water when we went to pack up the Pajero to head home. Spent 10 mins sponging out the water and then dried the mat later.

This will be a warranty thing for me as soon as I can get it booked into the dealer....

Will be interesting to see what they do.

Comment

• Mirak
                  • Jan 2011
                  • Manly, NSW

Hey guys, I have exactly the same problem with my 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero 30th Anniversary NT. When parked and leaning left or right I get lots of water in either the passenger or driver's foot well area.
                  I am going to cut the V shape hole in both doors - both corners trying to stop the leaking. However I was wondering if anybody found the real cause of this problem (where the water gets inside the door) or whether this is just "a design issue" ?
                  Nobody has ever touched (opened) the door and apart maybe dirt stuck in drainage inside the door (both doors though?) I cant think of anything else. I am very sure it comes from the door as I could see water drops and small pool on the scuff plates (both sides) every now and then when raining. However it never got inside the car unless it was leaning left or right.
                  Should I be worried much (rusting?) when it comes to drying out the carpet eg remove the carpet (I know, lots of work) or is letting it dry itself (with a help of vaacuming and leaving the door open for natural air flow) alright?
                  cheers
                  Last edited by Mirak; 05-06-16, 01:23 PM.

Comment

• Mattbk
                    • Jan 2018
                    • Albion Park Rail

Hey guys, I have noticed water actually drip out from the right hand side of the steering wheel, under the dash and drip down onto the rubber floor mat.
                    I assumed the same, that it was from a small crack in the windscreen and that water was making its way down to there. But the same thing happened once the windscreen was replaced.
                    I’ve seen it drip once again, pretty over the damp smell after I get back in after it’s been raining

Comment

• 3ternal0ptimist
                      • May 2014
                      • Sutherland Shire, Sydney

After much detective work removing door trim, searching under the dash, taping up windows etc. I think that I have found the magic bullet to at least fix this particular leak which is apparent when the car is on a slope (in my case it was either side to side or front to back). Water seems to find its way between the inner (on car body) and outer (on door) door seals. The main entry point would appear to be somewhere on the front (or even the rear) pillar. Front mainly from the mirror down. Water can often be detected around the hinge and rubber boot for the door electrics. The culprit is the seal on the door which flattens over time and allows the water to run in. Water then pools on the door sill in front of (or behind) the large plastic 'Mitsubishi' scuff plate. Water in this spot can easily enter the cabin because there is no sealing at all. Accumulated water simply runs over the metal lip under the floor trim/scuff plate and onto the floor, soaking the underfelt and carpet.

The fix: Obtain some 3 or 4mm sticky back closed cell foam. I used sheet and cut 6mm wide strips from it. This is then applied to the car body around the door area in a position that would make it touch the inside edge of the outer door seal (on the door). Hosing the car vigorously before showed a pool of water, after the fix, no water at all. Hopefully this will do the trick. The red arrow is where the water would accumulate, the blue arrows show the position of the sealing strip, which I continued all the way around to be sure.Click image for larger version

Name:	20201217_124142_2.jpg
Views:	2334
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	1070046
                      Attached Files

Comment

• zoiks
                        • Apr 2016
                        • Brisbane

Originally posted by 3ternal0ptimist View Post
                        After much detective work removing door trim, searching under the dash, taping up windows etc. I think that I have found the magic bullet to at least fix this particular leak which is apparent when the car is on a slope (in my case it was either side to side or front to back). Water seems to find its way between the inner (on car body) and outer (on door) door seals. The main entry point would appear to be somewhere on the front (or even the rear) pillar. Front mainly from the mirror down. Water can often be detected around the hinge and rubber boot for the door electrics. The culprit is the seal on the door which flattens over time and allows the water to run in. Water then pools on the door sill in front of (or behind) the large plastic 'Mitsubishi' scuff plate. Water in this spot can easily enter the cabin because there is no sealing at all. Accumulated water simply runs over the metal lip under the floor trim/scuff plate and onto the floor, soaking the underfelt and carpet.

The fix: Obtain some 3 or 4mm sticky back closed cell foam. I used sheet and cut 6mm wide strips from it. This is then applied to the car body around the door area in a position that would make it touch the inside edge of the outer door seal (on the door). Hosing the car vigorously before showed a pool of water, after the fix, no water at all. Hopefully this will do the trick. The red arrow is where the water would accumulate, the blue arrows show the position of the sealing strip, which I continued all the way around to be sure.Click image for larger version

Name:	20201217_124142_2.jpg
Views:	2334
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	1070046
                        If you have solved this I will be a mighty happy boy.

We had some rain over the weekend in Briabane and I openes the car to find the footwell soaked again. I was certain that water was dripping out of the bottom of the door as i had noticed a few drops on the bottom of the door above where the water was pooling and later overflowing off the scuff plate.

What dirextion, position were you spraying against the door to make it leak? I had never been about to simulate it.

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                          Valued Member
                          • Jun 2019
                          • Brisbane

Originally posted by zoiks View Post

I was certain that water was dripping out of the bottom of the door as i had noticed a few drops on the bottom of the door above where the water was pooling and later overflowing off the scuff plate. This should not be possible in theory? Along the bottom edge of the door are drain holes, 3 or 4 of them, bottom seam. They are below the scuff plate & outer of it to drain the door.
                          The door should also have a plastic moisture film inside stuck to it?
                          Drain holes would have to be blocked & door full of water?
                          I haven't had the door trims off, but the rear cargo door definitely does have moisture plastic barrier & drain holes.
                          Also known as vapour barrier

Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                            Valued Member
                            • Jun 2019
                            • Brisbane

On the page of your purchases, you can see a list of already selected auto parts and edit it, there will also be information about delivery here!
                            Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• Scooby
                              Valued Member
                              • Jan 2011
                              • Ipswich, Qld.

Originally posted by Jasonmc73 View Post
                              We had the wet carpet when parked on an angle thing also, after searching on here I found that someone had the door skins off and the water was getting past the plastic film, through speaker wiring or something like that, then running down the inside of the door skin onto the scuff plate then into the footwell.
                              I haven’t pulled the door skin yet to have a look . Will possibly just park on a slope and put the garden sprinkler on it for a bit it to see what happens.
                              Scooby, Scott, Scooter, Whatever.

Pajero 2013 NW VRX DID Auto. Basically Stock. 300k. Heavier rear springs to tow the GG’s. Automate also to tow the GG,s.

Pajero 2002 NM GLS V6 Auto. Basically stock. 385k.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X