• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sam.cath
    • Dec 2014
    • Sunshine Coast

OE battery tray tie-down broken??!!

Hi,

Just back from Fraser Island & noticed that my original battery tray that holds the starter battery has had the left-side loop that the j-clamp goes into snap.

I've just finished installing a dual battery setup & now have to replace the damn starter tray as well.

MMA's only option is to replace it with another plastic tray ($100) which will no doubt break again in a few years. Piranha do one for almost $200!! More than the dual battery tray!!

Any suggestions on other brands of tray replacements (that bolt straight in) for the starter battery in an NT Pajero would be greatly received!

Thanks in advance,
    Sam
    2018 NX DI-D PAJERO GLS

Fuel Manager secondary fuel filter
  • grhyso
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2012
    • Perth

They're the only two options I'm aware of. I've read people run a cam lock strap under the tray and around the battery instead of using the j hook holes for a temporary solution.
    2010 NT GLS DiD Auto Silver | TJM T13 Bullbar | Lightforce LED 180 Spotlights | Runva 11XP | Dual Batteries | TJM snorkel | Bushskinz & TJM bash plates | Custom alloy roof rack | Sunseeker II Awning | MDC RTT | EGR Block | Bilstein/Lovells | Dick Cepek Fun Country tyres | Wet seat seatcovers | Uniden UH7760NB | Parrot Asteroid Smart | Morel, Soundstream and Kicker Audio | MM Cargo Barrier | Storage Drawer | Onboard water system |

See our latest adventures at http://www.treksandtinroofs.com

Comment

• Rovingman
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2014
      • Blue mountains

I just drilled another hole on the edge to fix the bracket into as a temporary measure until i decide what system to do. works a treat no movement on the tracks.
      Pajero NT RX 2011
      Dark tint: Driftadraws:bushskinz set:tough dog lift:50lt waeco:MSA drop down slide: optima 66AH blue top: oricom cb:GME antenna:120w solar:narva 170 lights:hayman reese brake controller:18/265/65 BFG's :roof basket & bag:SPV MK3.1:ARB compressor: Donaldson fuel filter:breathers:Redarc 40amp:century 120AH dual batt: Blue tongue offroad trekka camper trailer :2016 winch n bar Airtek snorkel
      LIVING THE DREAM!! My Build http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=44476

Comment

• TheTaipan
        Banned
        • Jan 2009
        • sydney

Originally posted by Rovingman View Post
        I just drilled another hole on the edge to fix the bracket into as a temporary measure until i decide what system to do. works a treat no movement on the tracks.

I've done two plastic trays. Thinking of having an aluminium one made by the people in Penrith that did my lights bracket for the bullbar.

Comment

• sam.cath
          • Dec 2014
          • Sunshine Coast

Love the idea of drilling a hole in the side of the existing plastic tray for now- save some money after having just paid for suspension & dual battery setup!

Think this is the route for me.
          Love this forum!!

Thanks
          2018 NX DI-D PAJERO GLS

Comment

• Isa paj
            • Apr 2009
            • Mount Isa Queensland

Piranha do a raplacement tray. http://www.piranhaoffroad.com.au/lib...nt/BTMPOR1.pdf
            NT GLS Manual.

Comment

• Axis
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2011
              • Highett Vic

I used the same fix as Matty_P here:

07 NS DiD GLX Manual, Alloy Bullbar, 2" lift, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, Kumho MT51, Oricom UHF088, Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Airtec Snorkel, Bushskinz Intercooler Guard, Boo's Sump and Tansmission Bash Plates

Comment

• sam.cath
                • Dec 2014
                • Sunshine Coast

Thanks Axis (& Matty_P).
                Will add the 2 tie-down straps as well as drilling new holes!

Appreciate your input & happy to save some money on a new tray!

Cheers,
                Sam
                2018 NX DI-D PAJERO GLS

Comment

• P4J3R0
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Brisbane

Same, I just riveted a strip of aluminium to the original try with a hole drilled for the j hook.

All of 15 min work, 1 piece of 25x3mm ally, 2 pop rivets.
                  NS Pajero, with stuff.

Comment

• Axis
                    Valued Member
                    • Jul 2011
                    • Highett Vic

Originally posted by Slo78u View Post
                    Same, I just riveted a strip of aluminium to the original try with a hole drilled for the j hook.

Nice one!
                    07 NS DiD GLX Manual, Alloy Bullbar, 2" lift, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, Kumho MT51, Oricom UHF088, Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Airtec Snorkel, Bushskinz Intercooler Guard, Boo's Sump and Tansmission Bash Plates

Comment

• Axis
                      Valued Member
                      • Jul 2011
                      • Highett Vic

Originally posted by sam.cath View Post
                      Thanks Axis (& Matty_P).
                      Will add the 2 tie-down straps as well as drilling new holes!

Appreciate your input & happy to save some money on a new tray!

Cheers,
                      Sam
                      Glad to pass on... Until Matty posted I was about to drop $200 on the ARB dual tray as it was a good alternative to the factory main replacement giving options for dual set up. There is also a file floating around the forum (think there is a link in the thread I referenced) with dimensions of the main tray in case you have the skills or can find someone to knock you up a replacement.

Tested the fix over the weekend on some tracks and it is rock solid!

Comment

• ticky
                        Valued Member
                        • Jan 2015
                        • Adelaide

Originally posted by Slo78u View Post

Newbe here, I havent even looked at this so Im not sure if its possible.

Slo78u, idea seems sound to me but I wonder if a piece of Ally Angle might be even a little stronger.

Steve
                        2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

• P4J3R0
                          Valued Member
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Brisbane

Yeah it would be much stronger. A piece of 50x50x3mm ally angle would be sweet. I didn't have any lying around at the time.
                          Ally over steel as it will never rust.
                          NS Pajero, with stuff.

Comment

• Stevie-Ray
                            Valued Member
                            • Jun 2009
                            • Peakhurst, Sydney

Have doubts that aluminium will be any less trouble free than the original steel tray, plus you have the problem of disimilar metals in a potentially corrosive environment.
                            Ideally a stainless tray would be the answer, & for good measure have an extra fold of metal at the tie-down holes (welded at sides for good measure)!
                            Steve

Runner-Paj; '95 NJ SWB 2.5L TD GL J-Top, low kms Project-Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, also low kms. Donor Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, with some parts & goodies to go onto other GLS.
                            "I try to take life one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me all at once!"

Comment

• ticky
                              Valued Member
                              • Jan 2015
                              • Adelaide

Hey Stevie-Ray,

As I said, I haven't had my pajero for very long & I havent even looked at the battery tray, But by reading other posts in this thread, I think the tray is Plastic.

If so, When Slo78u said Ally over steel, I believe he meant Ally in preference to steel, as it will never rust.

JMO

Steve
                              2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X