• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • neilrsayers
    • Dec 2013
    • Dubbo

Another 33's thread!

Hi All,

I've been trawling the forums for a while now in regards to wheel/tyre fitment for an NL GLS. Im looking at getting some 33x11.5s or 285/75/R16 AT tyres. I've been getting my wires crossed a little bit in regards to wheel offset and the NL GLS brakes.

With a 2" lift, would the 33x11.5s or 285/75/R16s fit on the standard wheels without any rubbing issues, or should I get a set of 16x8 sunnies? with sunnies, I believe 0 offset would be good for a non GLS non blister guard gen2, but should I be looking at -10 or -20 for the NL GLS?

Thanks for your help.
  • Ian Sharpe
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2000
    • Tasmania

Originally posted by neilrsayers View Post
    Hi All,

I've been trawling the forums for a while now in regards to wheel/tyre fitment for an NL GLS. Im looking at getting some 33x11.5s or 285/75/R16 AT tyres. I've been getting my wires crossed a little bit in regards to wheel offset and the NL GLS brakes.

With a 2" lift, would the 33x11.5s or 285/75/R16s fit on the standard wheels without any rubbing issues, or should I get a set of 16x8 sunnies? with sunnies, I believe 0 offset would be good for a non GLS non blister guard gen2, but should I be looking at -10 or -20 for the NL GLS?

Thanks for your help.
    I have 285/75/16s on standard rims with 1.5" lift. No rubbing at all.
    NS shorty 3.8l petrol with winch, front/rear E-lockers
    NT shorty 3.2l tdi, pretty stock with rear locker

Comment

• neilrsayers
      • Dec 2013
      • Dubbo

Awesome, sounds good.

Some threads have been saying that I should be looking for -13 to -23 offset, so its all been hard to follow.

Any chance you've got pics?

Comment

• Ian Sharpe
        Valued Member
        • Nov 2000
        • Tasmania

Awesome, sounds good.

Some threads have been saying that I should be looking for -13 to -23 offset, so its all been hard to follow.

Any chance you've got pics?
        in fact i do have pics.

Last edited by Ian Sharpe; 10-12-13, 01:42 PM.

Comment

• Extremeautomarine
          • Jun 2012
          • Adelaide

33s with 16 inch gls... 2inch tough tog..... Never rubs
          Attached Files
          www.extremeautomarine.com.au
          NL 3.5 Pajero, 33 inch federals, tough dog susp, 2 inch lift, airbags,evaKOOL fridge, inverter, solar panel, roof tent, roof lights, full audio system, 3 amps tv,DVD headrests UHF, JVC nav, mudmaps, r,camera,Bluetooth, light force pro series hid 70w aurora LED Bar, tri battery system, tigerz11 winch, foxwing,rebuilt engine, new exhaust, new alternator rewound, new radiator, new pulleys, new water pump, dual volt meters, led dash,
          Safari snorkel, dual fuel tanks

Comment

• neilrsayers
            • Dec 2013
            • Dubbo

Awesome, thanks for the pics guys!

Have there been any problems with tyre shops? i've had a ring around and they're pretty hesitant to put 285's on a 16" wheel.

Comment

• nj swb
              Resident
              • Jun 2007
              • Adelaide

Awesome, thanks for the pics guys!

Have there been any problems with tyre shops? i've had a ring around and they're pretty hesitant to put 285's on a 16" wheel.
              On any 16" wheel, or your 16" wheel?

You're up against two different issues.

One is the increase in tyre diameter, which is either 15mm or 50mm, depending on the state you're in and/or the people you believe. 285/75R16 is well over the 15mm limit, and slightly over the 50mm limit (depending on who calculates the limit and/or how they do it).

Probably the bigger issue is the Tyre and Rim Association of Australia - Standards Manual. This manual is referenced in legislation, and determines what is (or isn't) a legal combination of wheel and tyre. This manual specifies (or did) that a 285/75R16 tyre requires a minimum rim width of 7.5" - factory NL GLS rims are only 7" wide, so many tyre shops will be very reluctant to fit 285s to the factory rims.
              NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• my.paj
                • Dec 2010
                • Tullamarine

I run 285/75/16 on -13 rims because my NL is on gas and my standard wheels/tyres can rub on the fuel tank filler pipe so I thought the bigger tyres would be worse.
                Rick
                Old, NP Exceed 3.5 petrol, ARB Bull bar, Warn winch, Bush Skinz Bash plates ,2inch lift, Safari Snorkel. ***Now Sold***
                New, RG Colorado Dual Cab Tray

Comment

• neilrsayers
                  • Dec 2013
                  • Dubbo

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                  On any 16" wheel, or your 16" wheel?

You're up against two different issues.

One is the increase in tyre diameter, which is either 15mm or 50mm, depending on the state you're in and/or the people you believe. 285/75R16 is well over the 15mm limit, and slightly over the 50mm limit (depending on who calculates the limit and/or how they do it).

Probably the bigger issue is the Tyre and Rim Association of Australia - Standards Manual. This manual is referenced in legislation, and determines what is (or isn't) a legal combination of wheel and tyre. This manual specifies (or did) that a 285/75R16 tyre requires a minimum rim width of 7.5" - factory NL GLS rims are only 7" wide, so many tyre shops will be very reluctant to fit 285s to the factory rims.
                  Yes, on my standard 16x7 wheels. I am also wondering if I should get some 265/75/R16 just to keep it all cheaper/legal/easier, but i'm sure I would have regrets for not going bigger.

Comment

• allanmac
                    Valued Member
                    • Jun 2007
                    • Eastern Suburbs Vic

Many tyre shops will not fit 285/75/16 on the standard GLS alloy wheels (16 x 7) & I think many of the tyre manufacturers recommend 16 x 8 wheels & as NJSWB said, 7.5 inch diameter is usually the minimum.

Personally I would not run 33's on the standard wheels & I have used both offsets; - 13 & -23 & neg 13 is perfect imo. I do run 265/75/16 A/T's on my original alloys & dont have a problem. Must admit, am surprised that Ian has no rubbing with the alloy rims.....
                    NL Pajero,F&R airlockers, reduction gears, Ironman susp, ARB bullbar, Tigerz winch, Uniden UHF, roolite driving lights, Mickey Thompson ATZ 4 rib &, BFG KM2' tyres

MUD SUCKS.

Comment

• Ian Sharpe
                      Valued Member
                      • Nov 2000
                      • Tasmania

Originally posted by allanmac View Post
                      Many tyre shops will not fit 285/75/16 on the standard GLS alloy wheels (16 x 7) & I think many of the tyre manufacturers recommend 16 x 8 wheels & as NJSWB said, 7.5 inch diameter is usually the minimum.

Personally I would not run 33's on the standard wheels & I have used both offsets; - 13 & -23 & neg 13 is perfect imo. I do run 265/75/16 A/T's on my original alloys & dont have a problem. Must admit, am surprised that Ian has no rubbing with the alloy rims.....
                      Nuh not a bit of rubbing, well none that I have noticed anyway. Where are they supposed to rub? There is heaps of clearance all round as far as I can see. & yes some shops might be reluctant to fit, but as I found just keep asking around, oh & it also helps if you buy your tyres from them as well. In the end its your dollar, so just say "ok i'll give my $$ to someone else"!!! thats usaully does the trick, especially when you are talking big $ for SUV tyres anyway.

Comment

• neilrsayers
                        • Dec 2013
                        • Dubbo

Just to confirm guys: 16x8 -13 sunraysias (gecko) WILL fit on my nl gls with 285/75R16 will fit without rubbing issues? I'm about to order but the wheel shop is suggesting 0 offset because the wheel suppliers have advised -13 might not clear the callipers

Comment

• nj swb
                          Resident
                          • Jun 2007
                          • Adelaide

Just to confirm guys: 16x8 -13 sunraysias (gecko) WILL fit on my nl gls with 285/75R16 will fit without rubbing issues? I'm about to order but the wheel shop is suggesting 0 offset because the wheel suppliers have advised -13 might not clear the callipers
                          Huh? More negative moves the tyre away from the brakes, which are inside the rim anyway. I'd say somebody at the wheel supplier isn't thinking too clearly.

I have zero offset on my NJ, which I chose deliberately, and would choose again. Never any rubbing issues at the front (with a 2" body lift, not that I think it makes that much difference), but it does mark the inside of the rear wheel well at max articulation - I only know because of the mark, it's never presented a problem, and I've never noticed a noise.
                          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• neilrsayers
                            • Dec 2013
                            • Dubbo

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                            Huh? More negative moves the tyre away from the brakes, which are inside the rim anyway. I'd say somebody at the wheel supplier isn't thinking too clearly.

I have zero offset on my NJ, which I chose deliberately, and would choose again. Never any rubbing issues at the front (with a 2" body lift, not that I think it makes that much difference), but it does mark the inside of the rear wheel well at max articulation - I only know because of the mark, it's never presented a problem, and I've never noticed a noise.
                            Thats what i thought, but i figured the wheel suppliers should know what they're selling! I read the opposite and that the NL GLS required a more negative offset sunraysia due to break clearance issues on the larger callipers.

Comment

• allanmac
                              Valued Member
                              • Jun 2007
                              • Eastern Suburbs Vic

Neil, I can tell you from experience that 0 offset WILL NOT fit. Had this argument when I bought new tyres & rims & salesperson said they will. So told him to go ahead etc etc as he didnt want to listen. Guess what, when he tried to fit them, they wouldnt fit, so then had to get the rims with -13 & refit the tyres to the new rims.

PS. 0 offset will not fit on the NL GLS as they have bigger brakes, but I believe they can be fitted on earlier gen 2's.
                              NL Pajero,F&R airlockers, reduction gears, Ironman susp, ARB bullbar, Tigerz winch, Uniden UHF, roolite driving lights, Mickey Thompson ATZ 4 rib &, BFG KM2' tyres

MUD SUCKS.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X