• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • newshane
    • Jun 2011
    • melbourne

2010 manual challenger gearbox rattle

hi just putting a question out there in the hope that i am not alone in my problem, i have a manual 2010 ls challenger and i can hear a rattle from the gearbox that stops when i push in the clutch and starts to rattle when ever the clutch is off, also when you drive the car in between gear changes 1 to 3 i can hear a clink it not to loud but i still hear it. as i have only just done 5000km i would not think this was normal i took it to the dealer and they said it was normal and that he has heard louder noises i was not happy with that responce any advice or knowledge would be great thanks
  • fun510
    • Feb 2010
    • Port Stephens NSW

i have been through this process with my challenger. It is ongoing.

It is common/normal for larger transmissions to make a rattling noise when idling as whilst there is no load on the gears (In neutral) and they are spinning they rattle within the backlash (clearance) of the teeth.

When you depress the clutch pedal you stop the input shaft & thus cluster shaft from turning at any notable speed and the "gearbox rattle" should go away.

I have has several commercial vehicles V6 previously that have done this from new, if you pay attention. I have found the challenger/triton manual makes some rattliing type noise at idle, but nothing that sounds too bad.

Alternatively, there has been complaints from a few of us about the clutch itself squeeking (clutches also can rattle). The difference here is you don't need to fully compress the clutch pedal to stop the noise. Just the lightest of touches, that takes up the freeplay, will eliminate this noise. As the input shaft & cluster shaft are still spinning, if this takes the noise away, it is not the transmission.

I have some concern over the squeeking clutch noise. At 45K service My dealer stated this is "Normal" but is squeeks as loud as a set of slipping belts (and sounds similar). Its a chirping type sound.

At 60K service I will be pushing the poin,t as it is getting worse and I do no consider it normal.
    2010 MY10 Challenger 5spd Manual - ARB Front Bar, Baysie Bash Plates, King Springs & Bilsteins, Rhino Trade Bars & ARB awning, Home Made Storage System, GME Radio, Tows Trackabout Camper. MTZ285/70/17 on 17x8 Kings (Off Road) and ATZ265/70/17 on factory alloys (On Road)

Comment

• DaveXT
      • Mar 2010
      • Melbourne Outer East

I have the gearbox noise (only ever hear it in the Red Rooster drive through) it doesn't really bother me and I'm not concerned about it.
      I also have a squeak when I depress the Clutch ( again only hear it in the drive through) I am monitoring it and will jump up and down if it gets much worse.

Comment

• cate03
        • Jun 2010
        • Sydney

Originally posted by fun510 View Post
        there has been complaints from a few of us about the clutch itself squeeking (clutches also can rattle). The difference here is you don't need to fully compress the clutch pedal to stop the noise. Just the lightest of touches, that takes up the freeplay, will eliminate this noise. As the input shaft & cluster shaft are still spinning, if this takes the noise away, it is not the transmission.

I have some concern over the squeeking clutch noise. At 45K service My dealer stated this is "Normal" but is squeeks as loud as a set of slipping belts (and sounds similar). Its a chirping type sound.

At 60K service I will be pushing the poin,t as it is getting worse and I do no consider it normal.
        Mine does this now and then, I can go for months without hearing it, then I'll hear it for 2 weeks, then it goes away again.

It is the thrust bearing on the input shaft, as you lightly touch the clutch, the yolk assembly decrease/releases load on the thrust bearing and it quietens down. (also known as a clutch release bearing, or clutch throw-out bearing)

I had the same problem with my 80 series L/C, noise would come and go, particularly after long dry spells, dabbing the clutch pedal in and out a few times whilst stopped at the lights used to sometimes shut it up.

Spoken to gearbox mechanics about it, all say that it won't cause a problem, just annoying. Most also said, it is normal practice when removing the gearbox, is to change the clutch plate, pressure plate and this thrust bearing.

Carl

Comment

• newshane
          • Jun 2011
          • melbourne

gearbox noise

well thanks for the info it sounds like i will have to get used to the noise i am still very happy with this car and i cant wait to take it bush when the tracks in the high country are open again thanks all, cheers

Comment

• wasarangie
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2010
            • Ocean Grove

My Challenger has had the rattle from new. Never got any worse over 41,000 klm so far.

I think you will find a few on here have had the thrust bearing replaced due to noise. Mine is silent at the moment.

If you think this gearbox rattles you should hear a Range Rover with a few klm on it, you would think it is about to fall out!
            SOLD MY11 PB LS Challenger Manual,

MY18 Ford Ranger Wildtrak, Auto. Smartbar Stealth. Warn 9k winch, Redarc dual battery system. over tub rack system. Minecorp phone mount. Folding Phone and UHF antennae mounts. 9" LED driving lights. Assortment of extras from Tickford.

Comment

• AndrewF
              • Jun 2011
              • Burwood East

Same here... 2011 Challenger... About 4500k's on the clock, and I also get the rattle when sitting in neutral while idling, disengage clutch to go into gear and the "rattle" stops... Also hear the occasional "clink" going into third, only occasionally and I just assumed I was not being careful enough with my selections or trying to "guide" the change too much or something...

No squeak with the clutch though...
              2011 PB manual Challenger, Bushskinz, Dual batteries, 2" Ultimate lift, snorkel, ARB steel Bullbar, BFG 265/75/16 AT's, other bits n bobs.

Comment

• bigdave
                • Apr 2010
                • Adelaide SA

Originally posted by wasarangie View Post
                My Challenger has had the rattle from new. Never got any worse over 41,000 klm so far.

I think you will find a few on here have had the thrust bearing replaced due to noise. Mine is silent at the moment.

If you think this gearbox rattles you should hear a Range Rover with a few klm on it, you would think it is about to fall out!
                Yes, mine got fixed under warranty at about the 15000km mark - a big job though and very costly. After about 5000km, still running quiet so fingers crossed. My tip is that MMA decided it was going to cost too much to fix this fault on potentially every manual sold, and have "decided" to call this "normal operation".

Does anyone know of any Triton owners that have complained about this bearing squeel? If the drivetrain is the same (as I understand it is), but no Triton owners are complaining, to me it suggests a "batch fault" with the supply for the Challenger. Odd though, given both models are made in Thailand.

Cheers,
                Bigdave
                Cheers,
                Bigdave

Parted ways with my 2010 PB Manual after 9 years of reliable motoring...
                Icom 440 Remote UHF, 130AH AGM in rear, Tekonsha Primus IQ Brake Controller, Bridgestone D697s, HR Towbar, Kings KCRS-23 springs / Pedders 5899. Single axle 18' Caravan with muddies & good clearance - ATM 2.5T/Ball weight 250kg

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X