• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DaKaptin
    • Mar 2012
    • Brisbane, Qld

Choosing a main battery...

Looking at replacing the stock cranking battery with something like the Supercharge MRV70 Allrounder.

Will likely get a LiFePo4 in a battery box in the boot for the nights to keep the fridge cold. Eventually but not straight away.

I want the main battery (as above) for both cranking and running the fridge duties whilst driving only. There will be at least two trips coming up lasting a week or so each (driving mostly all day everyday)

Im not keen for overexpenditure in all the fancy ways we can recharge batterys whilst out there as I will just K.I.S.S. and recharge when at home again for the LifePO4.

So my query relates to:

1: this battery fits right? Just gotta take the plastic insert out and sqeeze the tight fitting earth terminal on??

2: will i be able to rely on it for this purpose seeing our summers are apporaching and it is still technically an AGM battery?? Or am i wrong? Should i just go for a N70 century Ultra hi performance one instead??
    2017 NX Pajero Exceed with:TJM AIRTEK snorkel, HPD oil catch can, KAON i/c and sump bash plates, BushSkinz Elite transmission and transfer case plates, Boo's rear bumper plate. Stock NW 17" rims with Cooper ST MAXX @ 265/70r17

Wish list: smart Bar or ARB B/B with Carbon 12k winch, +50mm suspension, Eatons front e locker,

Gone: 2004 NP PAJERO EXCEED with 3.8L petrol and 290,000ks of memories
  • Alex86
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Here and there

My personal experience with supercharge batteries (3 in the Escape, 1 in the boat) wasn’t great.
    One failed in the car within warranty (replaced, which is good obviously) but I barely got what I considered a good run from them (sub 2 yrs, however some of that time was spent in north-west WA heat etc). Other than longevity of the battery itself it otherwise worked fine, and in a place that overpriced everything to buggery, had good value.
    That was a few years ago though.

The best results I’ve had in the Escape are with Bosch.
    Century (marine maybe?) in the Shorty but I can’t remember.
    '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
    Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Comment

• pharb
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2007
      • Tyers,Vic

I have got in excess of 3 years out of every Century battery I haved used in the last 15 years or so.
      Even when I was building the house and the Paj was only used to drag tool trailer 50m from shed to house every weekend, so wasn't getting charged properly and frequently needed jump started.

Supercheap just had Century N70Zs (non maintenance free) for $140. I prefer the the non maintenance free so you can check and maintain fluid levels if required, and get a bit more life from the battery. Also enables easier fault finding when trying to diagnose battery health.
      PCOV Member 1107.
      Daily driver NX GLX
      Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
      Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
      Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

• ticky
        Valued Member
        • Jan 2015
        • Adelaide

I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER CENTURY BATTERY

MY 2 1/2 yo Century has not only been barely passable since new, it has also been leaking. as a result, I have no paint left under my battery tray. Spoke to Century, If I had the receipt, I dont, and supercheaps records only go back 2 years, AND if I had the battery which I didnt want to put on the rear carpet because it leaks, he said they MIGHT consider some compensation but he doubted it.

There was no damage to the battery, it simply didnt seal properly

NEVER AGAIN

I would avoid Century Batteries like the Plague.
        2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
        Working...
        X