• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RUGGA
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2014
    • Adelaide

Originally posted by RUGGA View Post
    How did you go with the Yabbies? I have mates that have come home with 10's of Kgs in a matter of hours! Apparently the back waters are producing in abundance and are forecast to remain this way for a couple years

Caught up with one of my mates last night and even though he was a bit pi$$ed, I asked him to send me all his photos of what they caught cause he a great one of him holding a BIG one that was much bigger than his hand. Anyway I was Very surprised that he even sent any photos at all! so this all all I have

Three different size eskies where almost filled in a 1 day trip (not over night)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    02 NM 3.2, Auto, Exceed, I/C and sump guards, L&B 2" lift, 265/75/16 OPAT2.

Comment

• Steve_H
      • Feb 2012
      • Melbourne

I think KHV could work if it's used as part of a hollistic approach to cleaning up our waterways, which I get the distinct impressions it's not at the moment. It appears that many people, pollies included think KHV is a magic bullet that will rid the carp and instantly clean up our waterways. It wont. It's immediate effect will be tonnes of dead fish polluting the waterways and causing more damage, I haven't seen one proper clean up program suggested yet.
      After the initial kill, there will need to be a massive change in the way our waterways are used and protected, in order to get the rivers back to a clean state before the immune carp re-populate (probably in 5 years or so). Water flow, habitat re-seeding, farming practices, pollution and urban run off will all need to be addressed, else we'll be back to square one, but with an immune carp population.
      2018 NX GLS - Stock

2002 NM Exceed 3.5l Auto. Oricom 280 UHF, Full Boar Snorkel, Maxxis 980's. Diff breather kit *still* waiting to be fitted. Heading for the great scrap yard in the sky very soon.

Comment

• Dicko1
        Valued Member
        • Dec 2014
        • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Steve_H View Post
        I think KHV could work if it's used as part of a hollistic approach to cleaning up our waterways, which I get the distinct impressions it's not at the moment. It appears that many people, pollies included think KHV is a magic bullet that will rid the carp and instantly clean up our waterways. It wont. It's immediate effect will be tonnes of dead fish polluting the waterways and causing more damage, I haven't seen one proper clean up program suggested yet.
        After the initial kill, there will need to be a massive change in the way our waterways are used and protected, in order to get the rivers back to a clean state before the immune carp re-populate (probably in 5 years or so). Water flow, habitat re-seeding, farming practices, pollution and urban run off will all need to be addressed, else we'll be back to square one, but with an immune carp population.
        We will never get the Rivers back to how they uased to be 50 years ago..never. Mans stupidity and greed has seen to that...
        Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• flyboy
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2017
          • SA

One of the problems with the river cleanliness is having a continual flow.

200 years ago (unless in flood), the Murray was a series of pools that trickled over rocks into the next one.

This is important, because the majority of water stays stagnant in the pools and only the top layer flows. This allows sediment to fall out and settle on the bottom.

Since the river has been changed into one continuous flow, the sediment never falls out and is continually mixed.

A good example is the river Torrens in Adelaide. A disgusting, dirty river you can't see more than an inch into. Yet in the later stages of the river (about 2km from the outlet) they've done landscaping to return it to a series of deep pools separated by rock walls and small waterfalls.

The water in this area is magnitudes clearer as all the sediment is falling out. The last 1km to the sea is continuous flow, and it goes back to brown water.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X