• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rgb
    • Feb 2013
    • Horsham

Cruise control not working, replace clock spring

I have just replaced my clock spring in my 2007 NS pajero. My cruise light was on , on the display but the controls stopped working at 240k km's. For a short while they worked if I tried it lots of times. I checked the sender units others have referred to underneath. Mitsubishi quoted me $50 to try an diagnose the fault.

I used part no 8619AO18 from Kowze auto parts on Ali express. They have parts on ebay but only up to gen 3 and NP...
    I found the details via the clock spring unit thread https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=40645[/url]
    I paid $49 US plus $7 uS for the cheapest faster shipping and got it in 16 days,

I used Slo78u post on 15/3/2015 details at

and IronMan post on 21/6/14

to replace it.

The new Kowze part looks identical to the OME which I was quoted $380 for.

There is a little white plastic clip with a ring pull on it..dont take this off untill the part is installed. It makes sense when you have the old one to play with.

It took me three hours in total. Should take an hour if you had done it before. The main problem I had was the clips on the terminals so thats why I am writing this.

My steps were: Clock Spring Unit (CSU) removal:

1) disconnected battery and put lights on, break pedal down etc to make sure no residual power as per other posts.

2) removed top and bottom plastic covers over steering wheel column on dash side. There are two screws undeneath near the tip of the steering column height adjustment lever...then pry the top and bottom apart, starting near the seround of the indicator stalk and the wiper stalk.

3) looking up from the foot well, remove the little plastic plate at the bottom of the steering wheel. This reveals a yellow (to airbag from CSU ) and a black(horn) terminal blocks.

Black block : put small screw driver up and press down on the clip you can see, then remove terminal.

Yellow block...this is what had me stumped. you know from the new CSU it has a short block but the only clips I could see were on either side, 5 cm up near the top of the long yellow assembly.....these are not relevent, trust me. If you look at the new CSU you see the outside of the yellow plug slides up and down the inside bit that has the wires of the yellow terminal block. The outside part locks in the terminal. To remove this plug you hold the out side edges 1cm up from the base of the yellow assembly and pull down...this frees the central part of the plug (where the wires are) and you can pull it down...

4) On either side of the main steering wheel assembly are two torx bit screws in a hole. Using a #30 torx bit undo these. The plastic hole has barbs that stop you getting them back out..I jiggled them until thy dropped down inside the plastic steering wheel assembly so i knew they were out.
    The other 2 philips heads nearby, facing towards the driver, hold the cruise and sound panel buttons and you dont touch these...

5) 4 clips hold air bag assembly (centre of steering wheel) on, as per Slo78u instructions pull off, starting at the top.

6) Now you can see the central steering wheel nut, loosen but DON'T REMOVE NUT COMPLETELY as it will stop you pulling the wheel all the way off as you pop it off, there are still some wires we need to disconnect and we don't want to rip em off.

7) knees under steering wheel, pull on top until it moves on spline and will pop off.

8) I cleaned the two ring terminal that screw onto the aluminium housing as in PaulF 28/7/14 post https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=40645
    ( they go to illumination LED of cruise buttons) and can become corroded) but mine seemed ok

9) unplug the black terminal block from the base of the CSU, it has an obviuos black clip to press down on. Take steering wheel off.

10) Remove old CSU by two screws. There are two plugs at the rear of it, I carefully tilted CSU top forward untill I could get it off (there are spikes on the back of it into the white plastic housing which help locate it) and I could more easily get at the plugs on the bottom rear of it, facing the dash.
    The two plugs ,one black and one yellow have obvious clips to press down for removal but the green tab also needs to be folded down as well when removing the yellow plug

11) Replace with new clock spring unit (CSU). The grey grease lubricant on the face of the white plastic housing is supposed to be there.
    Once the new CSU is in the slots of the white plastic ring housing you can pull the lock ring tab off the CSU.
    I suggest you dont over tighten the 2 screws holding the CSU on as its only into a white plastic housing

12) replace the plugs on back of CSU (from step 10)and fold the green tab back up, put SCU back on, reinstall steering wheel. Before I put the airbag back in and its connector, I connected battery and drove the car to make sure I had the steering wheel on the correct spline for straight ahead.

Then I disconnected battery and switched lights on, pressed brake etc to make sure no residual current before reinstalling air bag.

I hope this helps.

As a post script: at the start, I followed the suggestions to make sure there was no residual current by disconnecting the battery and putting my foot on the brakes...and I also switched on the lights for extra paranoia. I thought the circuit will not be open unless I turn the key on...which I did, even though the battery was disconnected....however when I put it all back together the air bag warning light was on.....I wasn't worried as I did the clock spring deliberately before the air bag recall and the local dealer are good people with my foibles so they reset it for me when they did the air bag.....I suggest you do nothing but disconnect the battery or plus maybe wait a while or perhaps just flash the high beam lever ( which works with key in off position anyway) but don't turn the key on even if the battery is disconnected. OR maybe (and more likely) step 12 was the cause of the airbag warning light coming on as I had the battery connected but no airbag was connected...I don't know how you would be sure you got the steering wheel back on the correct spline without step 12.....someone else will have to make a suggestion.

Had to do another clock spring at 250,000 km, cheaper on ebay, just disconnected the battery and no error light afterwards. I put marks on with white out pen to get steering wheel back on same splines.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by rgb; 05-06-20, 04:49 PM. Reason: grammer
  • scribble88
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2014
    • Geraldton, WA

Brilliant write up rgb.

Also including links and the forum members who got info on: classy

I can guarantee I will remembering your post for future reference. Well done
    2010 3.2 DiD Activ Pajero 5sp Manual. Bilstein and HD Lovells 50mm lift, Toyo Open Country II A/T, Diff breathers, SPV EGR Mod, Exedy HD Clutch, Electric brake controller, Kings Lethal 9” LED’s.Reversing camera system for trailer, Airtec Snorkel. Full set of Bushskinz bash plates.

Comment

• Dicko1
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2014
      • Cairns, FNQ

Hopefully I will never have to replace mine. Great write up and just the kind of step by step information that will be of huge assistance to others in the future.

Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• P4J3R0
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2013
        • Brisbane

I gotta do mine again.

Maybe next week I'll order a new one
        NS Pajero, with stuff.

Comment

• rgb
          • Feb 2013
          • Horsham

Thanks for the feed back. Please note my new postscript about the airbag warning light.

Comment

• P4J3R0
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2013
            • Brisbane

Yeah, step 12 opened the circuit causing the air bag light.
            Last edited by P4J3R0; 15-06-17, 11:17 PM.
            NS Pajero, with stuff.

Comment

• tj90
              • Mar 2009

RGB:

Thanks for the writeup and time to link the previous discussions. I actually used them to help me as well - I found that slo78u instructions to match my 2003 Montero perfectly.

I was paranoid about getting my steering wheel straight without tripping the airbag light. My solution was to tape a straight edge and use a bubble level to get the wheel as straight as possible. Below is a picture of a professional version of what I did with a ruler,level and tape.

I ultimately found that the splines are coarse enough that it was pretty obvious how to reorient the wheel on reassembly. The bubble level confirmed I had it right on reassembly. No guessing and no reason to drive without airbag.

Im excited to have cruise back. I inspected the original clock spring and the flex circuit had been abraded and caused a few conductors to open. I used Kowze part and hope that it lasts a while. It was $25 USD versus OEM best price of $171+shipping. Seems like the price is droppng from Kowze. There must be a warehouse full of these in China somewhere!

Cheers!
              Attached Files
              Last edited by tj90; 07-08-17, 02:52 PM.

Comment

• dcollie87
                • Jan 2018
                • Brisbane

Hi everyone,

Thanks for this thread! It helped me heaps! I did a video of it and thought I would post it as I couldn't find any on line. I hope this helps people. Sorry for the low quality video making, I'm no professional

David

Video link:

Comment

• koshari
                  • Oct 2018
                  • gippsland

just done ours , took about 40 mins, great pics.

will just add, there is a little barb on the black plastic block that you need to push in to release the earth connector on the airbag, its a little tight because you dont have a lot of wire, and the 2 t30 torx screws can be fiddly replacing, otherwise all went pretty well. :-)

Comment

• Turorit
                    • Oct 2016
                    • Adelaide

Thanks for the writeup, rgb!

I managed to swap mine in around 45mins. The airbag plug was a little fiddly but your comments helped.

After putting the wheel back on I realised I'd forgotten to poke the clock spring connections through. Luckily there is a removable plastic section underneath the steering wheel so I could feed them back through!

My t30 torx screws dropped back inside the casing when I was putting everything back together, as initially the airbag didn't line up inside the hole. I had to pull the horn/airbag cover off again, mildly annoying but not a deal breaker.

All in all, pretty painless experience though I had already spent most of the weekend ripping apart the dash to do a bunch of other mods!
                    2013 NW GLX. 285,000km | ARB Deluxe Bar, Boo's bashplates, 4x4 Tough Winch, underbonnet dual battery & db140i isolator, D697 265/70r17, Rhino tracks & vortex bars, DIY rear drawers, Waeco CF40, 60L water bladder, 2.5m awning, Vlad TC mod, Provent 200, TJM Airtec, Uniden UH8060.
                    --SOLD--1995 NJ GLS 3.5L Manual. 348,000km 2" Toughdog/EFS suspension, 265/75r16 Toyo Open Country A/T II

Comment

• steevo
                      • Mar 2020
                      • Fraser coast , qld

clockspring

RGB.

Thanx rgb, could not have made it any easier . Great tutorial with excellent reference material.

2011 nw

Comment

• rgb
                        • Feb 2013
                        • Horsham

Your welcome. I have had to do 2 clock springs now. Never had to touch one in any other car.

Comment

• galaga72
                          • Nov 2016
                          • Adelaide

Cheers rgb; likewise, I've replaced 2 clocksprings on my NT now. Used your advice both times, and takes less than an hr.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X