• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • UltraFire
    • Aug 2010
    • Melbourne

D gear indication lamp not light anymore

Hi there,

My paj is 2003 NP petrol v3.5 semi-auto, I found that the indication lamp for D gear is not on when gearshift on position, but lamps for other gear still work fine (P, N, R and 1-5). So far the car still goes fine with no warning lights on.

Any advice about this issue? is it looked like a big problem?

Thanks a lot!

Ted

BTW, when the car start moving from stop position (e.g. red light) a block blue smoke would come out the tail, is it normal?
    NP 2003 3.5 Petrol Semi-Auto
  • mrbitchi
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2007
    • Brisbane

Do they have a light for "D"? Mine doesn't and never has... unless it's been blown all along..

A puff of blue smoke on take off usually means worn valve guides.
    Cheers, John.
    LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
    Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

• UltraFire
      • Aug 2010
      • Melbourne

Thanks John, yes there is a D indicator light with other gear-position indicators on the right side of tachometer and it was working fine days ago and they are looked like LEDs...

Sorry to ask but is it nessessary to replace valve guides ? and appox how much would I look for it?

Thanks again for your information

Ted

Comment

• MickSA
        • Jun 2009
        • Southern Suburbs of Adelaide S.A

Originally posted by mrbitchi View Post
        Do they have a light for "D"? Mine doesn't and never has... unless it's been blown all along..

A puff of blue smoke on take off usually means worn valve guides.
        John, Yes there is a D for drive light mate, ours has it, probably a blown lamp.
        Cheers Mick 2012 NW GLX MANUAL

Comment

• mrbitchi
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2007
          • Brisbane

Fair enough. Mine has never had one so I wouldn't worry about it.
          The valve guides will need replacing eventually but I wouldn't panic about it. They won't cause you to break down or anything, just use a bit of oil. Don't know about cost. Some one else may be able to help you there..
          Cheers, John.
          LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
          Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

• Lance
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2009
            • Melbourne

Yep, rip out the dash cluster and replace the LED.

More info is needed for the smoke problem, and I would suggest you start a new thread for that.
            2005 NP Platinum Edition, DiD Auto
            2009 VW Crafter motorhome

Comment

• UltraFire
              • Aug 2010
              • Melbourne

Thanks a lot for all replies, really appreciated I'll try to get the light replaced and see how it go.

Lance thanks for your advise I'll start a new thread about the smoke.

Cheers mates

Ted

Comment

• Rusty Nail
                • Mar 2010
                • Munich, Germany

Jup, it's just a small bulb.
                You might want to replace it with a led, mine blew again after 3 months.
                2001 3.2 DiD, OME Lift, 265/75 16 Cooper STs, Winch w/ custom mount

Comment

• redturboeclipse
                  • Nov 2009

just wanted to add i have this problem too.

and i have the USDM counterpart Montero.

I noticed one day the green circle light for D (Drive) indicator in the cluster was not lighting up.

For those who switched it, how easy/difficult was it? pics? can we replace them with LED bulbs for nicer look, but im assuming the cluster has a green screen so no matter what color we pick it will look weird? anyone know the spec on the bulb size replacement.

Comment

• Rusty Nail
                    • Mar 2010
                    • Munich, Germany

The cluster is pretty easy to remove, 2 screws for the plastic cover and 2 more for the cluster.
                    The bulbs are very tiny. Not sure if there are any leds that small.
                    2001 3.2 DiD, OME Lift, 265/75 16 Cooper STs, Winch w/ custom mount

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X