• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • keenkean
    • Jan 2016
    • Central Coast NSW

NX rear diff weeping - dealer says "check at next service"

So the NX went in for mitsubishi dealer 45k service. I prewarned them via a phone call that I noticed rear diff leaking whilst fitting bash plates (I phoned as my other half has the memory of a sive when it comes to anything other than our 12month old). Car is in immaculate condition otherwise.

The other half dropped car off for service, then she picked up car later. No phone call to me saying they're not going to repair it. Just a note on the receipt about "recheck"

Dont know about you guys, but I assume that once a seal aint working it doesnt suddenly heal itself right? I'd rather not have a leaking seal when I go through water/sand/mud is my thinking and having muck sucked into the diff. It's the front seal from memory that faces the drive shaft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

1. It has been acknowledged by Mitsubishi as a fault while the vehicle is under warranty. They are obliged to fix the fault, and any consequential damages, regardless of whether the vehicle remains under warranty or not. May be cold comfort if catastrophic failure occurs on a big trip.

2. Did you call the dealer to find if they checked the oil level and / or topped it up?

3. You could jump up & down now, have it fixed now, and put 55k km / xx months of wear on the new parts, or let them string it out to the end of warranty, then dig your heels in and exit warranty with a brand new pinion seal (and hopefully a few other seals while they're at it).
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• hinsch
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2010
      • Perth

Sorry I would be asking for the fix now
      NX 2016 GLS, Graphite, Nudge Bar, Pirelli Scorpion Plus.

Comment

• RoyHarvey
        • Mar 2008
        • Adelaide

If it ain't broke........

Metal components or assemblies are usually protected during manufacture by an oil or wax film that may develop a wet witness appearance in service.

If the seal is leaking you should be able to see at least a few drops on the ground where the car is normally parked.

An old story comes to mind about an aircraft log book where the pilot had made a number of entries about the plane. Two that I recall were: something is loose in cockpit and the left tyre almost needs replacing. The mechanic made corresponding entries: something tightened in cockpit and left tyre almost replaced.
        2016 NX Pajero GLX
        Prev....2002 NM petrol passed on to SIL

Comment

• Pwoffey
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2013
          • Adelaide

P: Left inside main tire almost needs replacement. S: Almost replaced left inside main tire. P: Test flight OK, except auto-land very rough. S: Auto-land not installed on this aircraft. P: Something loose in cockpit. S: Something tightened in cockpit. P: Dead bugs on windshield. S: Live bugs on back-order. P: Autopilot in altitude-hold mode […]
          BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni Raid 90 front, Dobinson IMLrear shocks with Kings 34-HD springs front, 35-EHD rear, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads, Mark's 4WD reduction gears

Comment

• RoyHarvey
            • Mar 2008
            • Adelaide

LOL....That was the llist, seems I have forgotten quite a few.

Should have mentioned previously, if there is any oil dropping on the ground the seal should be rectified.
            2016 NX Pajero GLX
            Prev....2002 NM petrol passed on to SIL

Comment

• keenkean
              • Jan 2016
              • Central Coast NSW

Thanks for reply guys. No oil on ground that I have noticed. Weeping is a fair description but what happens with sand and mud and sudden temp change with diff going through water/mud, I have been lead to believe potential for sucking in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X