• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Detonator
    • Aug 2011
    • Traralgon

Cooling System Woes

Calling Old Jack.
    In a post late last year (2016) I said how the second motor in my Challenger was showing cooling problems similar to the first motor. The first motor was replaced at 120,000km, the new motor has 50,000km on it. After much stuffing around they changed the thermostat. No one could figure out how this could fix the problem but it seemed to work for 5000km. Then on a hot Xmas day the Challenger tried to boil itself whenever the A/C was turned on. On reaching Adelaide I noticed the radiator overflow bottle was full and fluid was everywhere under the bonnet. I kept topping it up just to get it back to Victoria. I took it back to Mitsubishi. they did a few tests . Now the fun starts. I had to give them permission to pull the head because if a problem couldn't be found then I might have to cover the cost. Well it problem is obvious with head off. On the upper part of the cylinders, pitting has taken place on the edges of cylinders where they meet the water jacket. When too much pitting occurs , it blows the head gasket so that motor compression enters the cooling system which pushes coolant out of the radiator. Pictures and a full report have been sent to MMA and I await news if its going to be covered by warrantee.
  • 02-SR5
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2010
    • Toowoomba

Are you in a position to arse hole it and get something else?

If you are, I'd get them to put it back together, top it up and drive around the corner and trade it in for something to get you around till you can get something you want.

That's what I'd do.
    MY17 Triton GLX Plus with Mitsubishi Canopy. Keeping it light and simple. 265/70/16 Nitto's, Bilstien shocks, Kings Springs front, Formula leafs rear, ECB nudge bar, Ligjtforce 170's, twin batteries and a ARB fridge.

Comment

• Detonator
      • Aug 2011
      • Traralgon

More to tell

Yes O2-SR5.
      Some facts !!
      We are in the process of getting an NX Pajero.
      The dealer is pushing for a warrantee claim.
      The Challenger will be the trade-in vehicle.
      Warrantee work is paid for by MMA not the dealer.
      If MMA says NO to a warrantee claim , then a new head gasket will be fitted ( along with a couple of cans of bars leak) and it will be traded for the best I can get. It will then be on-sold to some unsuspecting used car dealer.

Comment

• itsamitsi
        Valued Member
        • Aug 2015
        • Hervey Bay Queensland

I wouldn't buy another Mitsubishi product after owning my first one from new. If I can get rid of it sooner rather than later I will.
        Paul 2015 PC Challenger LS Auto - 2" Ultimate lift, Duraturn 265/70/17 A/Ts , catch can and resistor mod, Custom MCC Bullbar ,12000lb winch , Dual batteries ,Boo's Bash plates ,E-Drive throttle controller,Auto Mate, In car entertainment and more.

Comment

• 02-SR5
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2010
          • Toowoomba

Sweet.

As long as you don't have to put your hand in your pocket, then no reason to loose any sleep then.

Good luck which the Pagero.
          MY17 Triton GLX Plus with Mitsubishi Canopy. Keeping it light and simple. 265/70/16 Nitto's, Bilstien shocks, Kings Springs front, Formula leafs rear, ECB nudge bar, Ligjtforce 170's, twin batteries and a ARB fridge.

Comment

• old Jack
            Regular
            • Jun 2011
            • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by Detonator View Post
            Calling Old Jack.
            In a post late last year (2016) I said how the second motor in my Challenger was showing cooling problems similar to the first motor. The first motor was replaced at 120,000km, the new motor has 50,000km on it. After much stuffing around they changed the thermostat. No one could figure out how this could fix the problem but it seemed to work for 5000km. Then on a hot Xmas day the Challenger tried to boil itself whenever the A/C was turned on. On reaching Adelaide I noticed the radiator overflow bottle was full and fluid was everywhere under the bonnet. I kept topping it up just to get it back to Victoria. I took it back to Mitsubishi. they did a few tests . Now the fun starts. I had to give them permission to pull the head because if a problem couldn't be found then I might have to cover the cost. Well it problem is obvious with head off. On the upper part of the cylinders, pitting has taken place on the edges of cylinders where they meet the water jacket. When too much pitting occurs , it blows the head gasket so that motor compression enters the cooling system which pushes coolant out of the radiator. Pictures and a full report have been sent to MMA and I await news if its going to be covered by warrantee.

There is something not right here, for a new block to have this sort of damage in such a short time. I suspect it could be coolant electrolysis. Briefly this is a condition were the coolant obtains an electrical charge due to incorrect grounding/earthing and this can cause rapid electro erosion and pitting, normally on aluminium parts but steel parts can also be effected. I would suggest anyone that has had an engine changed or wants to do this check just out of interest do this simply test, it could save your engine and cooling system. Unfortunately for Detonator it is too late as the engine needs to be fitted and running in the car to check.

Hear is further explanations of the problem and how to measure it;

http://http:/www.dieselduck.info/mac...ectrolysis-101

Plenty of other article online for extra reading, just google engine coolant electrolysis.

Good luck to all, especially Detonator.

OJ.
            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
            MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Detonator
              • Aug 2011
              • Traralgon

Good news.

I've just been told that MMA will fit a short motor. Thank Buddha for that !!
              I'm buying a new NX Pajero. $52,000 includes cargo barrier, window tint and towbar. I'm getting $12,500 for the Challenging as a trade, (fair price for a 170,000km truck). That's better than me paying to fix motor! I'm taking all my good stuff off the Challenging inc air horn, winch, DC/Dc charger, fridge slide, LED lights etc.
              The local dealer will be doing 4 short motor replacements this week.

Comment

• Spoonman
                • Nov 2015
                • Canberra

All Challengers?
                SOLD - 2012 PB Challenger LS Manual|BFG KO2 245/70/17|Opposite Lock Premium Bullbar|Kings Domin8r X Winch|HID Driving Lights|Ultimate Suspension Lift|Safari Snorkel|Bushskinz Intercooler and Sump Guard|Mitsubishi Towbar|Extended Diff Breathers|GME UHF|SPV EGR Mod|Provent Catch Can|Drifta Drawers

Comment

• littleriver
                  Valued Member
                  • Jan 2013
                  • Queensland

I've just been told that MMA will fit a short motor. Thank Buddha for that !!
                  I'm buying a new NX Pajero. $52,000 includes cargo barrier, window tint and towbar. I'm getting $12,500 for the Challenging as a trade, (fair price for a 170,000km truck). That's better than me paying to fix motor! I'm taking all my good stuff off the Challenging inc air horn, winch, DC/Dc charger, fridge slide, LED lights etc.

well done ...

must be the heat

170k km new motor there is hope for all

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• Detonator
                    • Aug 2011
                    • Traralgon

Tritons Too

Originally posted by Spoonman View Post
                    All Challengers?
                    I believe its Tritons as well

Comment

• Detonator
                      • Aug 2011
                      • Traralgon

Mma

Originally posted by littleriver View Post

well done ...

must be the heat

170k km new motor there is hope for all

Mitsubishi have been terrific.
                      I reckon all Manufacturers have problems with their cars. Its how they react when their cars develop a problem that sorts Mitsubishi from the rest. My new (5000km demo) NX Pajero is my vote of confidence in MMA

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X