• Show
Clear All
  • stevemc181
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2012
    • Thornlie/Perth

[QUOTE=Morville;535434]
    Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
    Maybe we can lure Harry and Wilma along.....(saves us carrying a chainsaw )
    Congratulations Steve on the new vehicle, it looks great.

Sorry boys, not this year, we are going to Europe and England in May/June.
    Would love to come and see Steve's turn to drag a pumpkin and also pushing another one.
    Peter
    Bahahahaha, she is already lifted slightly and diff top hats will be coming soon for attacking it with more gusto!
    Enjoy your trip overseas, we thought about heading to the USA this year, but bought a new Patrol instead. I am planning a 6 or 7 week adventure to an as yet undetermined location around August/September. I need to be in Brisbane for a wedding, so may duck up to the Kimberley and then down to Alice and across the Simmo.
    2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

Current vehicle: 2016 Y61 GU Patrol Legend series Auto, (Last of the Breed)
    3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

• stevemc181
      Valued Member
      • Sep 2012
      • Thornlie/Perth

Originally posted by Nab View Post
      Yeehah! Trip to the powerlines to test her out???
      Jeez, I wouldn't want to get her dirty!

I don't mind the power lines if it's not mud, but I hate mud! Love it at the time, but I hate the clean up afterwards.

Sat-Nav is all fixed now, called Nissan and they took it in straightaway and fixed it, as I suspected, the installer hadn't wired in the handbrake switch correctly for the GPS and hance locked me out of a heap of functions. This one comes with the
      2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

• stevemc181
        Valued Member
        • Sep 2012
        • Thornlie/Perth

A couple of pics below showing the rear diff and axle housing lamination. (Welded on sections on the bottom of the axle housings left and right) This was a necessary part of the GVM Upgrade to 3505kg as it exceeded the factory axle specs and the load analysis shows the strengthening is required

Comment

• Nab
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2012
          • Perth

I didn't know they modded the diff. I have never heard of Patrol diffs breaking, only the top rear suspension mounts.

Another thing I remember about Patrol ownership, whenever I did any rock hopping or serious low range work, I always locked the front hubs in manually with the tyre wrench. If you don't, sometimes, if you get stuck going forward and try to reverse back (hubs in auto position) they would unlock then relock after spinning a little (maybe 1/4 turn). But if neither front wheels turn the drive won't engage to them. Only happened once to me, not a common occurrence but I locked the hubs every time after that.

That was a 1999 model, not sure if they have the same hubs (probably do haha!!!).
          SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
          NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

• stevemc181
            Valued Member
            • Sep 2012
            • Thornlie/Perth

Originally posted by Nab View Post
            I didn't know they modded the diff. I have never heard of Patrol diffs breaking, only the top rear suspension mounts.
            Yep, part of getting the 3505kg GVM upgrade approved when it increases the axle load limits. I could have gone to a 3300kg GVM without the need for the diff laminating, but quotes I received were around the same money anyway. I guess at least this way, I know I've got the rear end strengthened to sustain some additional loading.

Yep, not sure on the auto hubs, but the 4wd system is ancient compared to the super select, hopefully no flashing green or orange dash lights though.

Comment

• Nab
              Valued Member
              • Mar 2012
              • Perth

Originally posted by stevemc181 View Post
              Yep, part of getting the 3505kg GVM upgrade approved when it increases the axle load limits. I could have gone to a 3300kg GVM without the need for the diff laminating, but quotes I received were around the same money anyway. I guess at least this way, I know I've got the rear end strengthened to sustain some additional loading.

Yep, not sure on the auto hubs, but the 4wd system is ancient compared to the super select, hopefully no flashing green or orange dash lights though.
              Haha the only flashing lights in a Patrol are the indicators!
              SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
              NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

• Richie-Rich
                • Mar 2013
                • Perth

Laminated diff? Wow.

Yes replace the auto hubs with the Manual hubs. Stronger and easy to use, plus the auto hubs will disengage in reverse!

Whens the maiden powerlines run?

Comment

• stevemc181
                  Valued Member
                  • Sep 2012
                  • Thornlie/Perth

Originally posted by Richie-Rich View Post
                  Laminated diff? Wow.

Yes replace the auto hubs with the Manual hubs. Stronger and easy to use, plus the auto hubs will disengage in reverse!

Whens the maiden powerlines run?
                  I can just engage the auto hubs manually, that will solve the disengaging momentarily in reverse problem.

Powerlines Run? Good Lord! I wouldn't want to get it dirty
                  Its been awhile since I've been away camping though, I might have to rectify that soon. I've been out of action for nearly 8 weeks due to some surgery on my foot, but she is getting back to normal now. So hopefully a couple of more weeks and I can get a shoe back on and walk normally

Comment

• Nab
                    Valued Member
                    • Mar 2012
                    • Perth

I never had any issues after I started locking the hubs manually. I took it to some serious tracks with front diff lock and it always came back for more. Manual hubs just make it easier, and there is no need to explain to the nice policeman why you have a wheel brace alongside your seat...
                    SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
                    NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

• Richie-Rich
                      • Mar 2013
                      • Perth

The Manual hubs are actually a heap stronger.

The other great option is a spartan or detroit front auto locker. This also requires the manual hubs.

Comment

• stevemc181
                        Valued Member
                        • Sep 2012
                        • Thornlie/Perth

I can't believe I still haven't had a chance to get offroad in the Patrol yet! (Had a few health issues that need attending to) I'm currently in the middle of modifying an ORS drawer system to suit my needs and am having the below 3" Turbo back Manta exhaust system with a high flow cat fitted today. Hopefully it will make a noticeable difference to the power output. I noticed the factory system has two cats one after the other, can't be very good for flow?

It's looking like the Troll's inaugural trip will be up to Karijini and depending on weather, onto Rudall River area for an explore. I'm expecting a distinct lack of clear track if I try the run to Hanging Rock, I don't think too many people do it over the years, so will go and have a look if it isn't wet!

Comment

• stevemc181
                          Valued Member
                          • Sep 2012
                          • Thornlie/Perth

The 3" exhaust has made a hell of a difference to the general drive-ability of the Patrol. I've only had a chance to do some short runs, so will see how it feels over the next couple of weeks and make a decision on a Remap or Chip etc. I also have a Tillix manual boost controller on the way, as the ECU controlled boost in these is less than ideal. https://www.tillix.com.au/product/bo...l-zd30-di-crd/ This should smooth out the boost curve and get rid of a known turbo lag issue these have between 1900 and 2100 RPM.

I only did a short 20km run yesterday after picking it up from the exhaust shop, but I took it on the hwy and tried the Torque Converter lock at 100kph, and she seemed much happier and didn't sound like it was labouring in the wrong gear, so some definite improvement there. The Turbo is also spooling up much quicker from a standing start, so I'm a happy camper again.

Comment

• stevemc181
                            Valued Member
                            • Sep 2012
                            • Thornlie/Perth

Well I was happy with the exhaust until it started leaking at the dump pipe flange on the way home! Prick of a heat shield to remove to get to it unfortunately. WTF is it with the lack of quality of workmanship these days? I even mentioned to this guy that I was sick of having to get rework done nearly every time I get something fitted, and he assured me he would do it right first time!

Comment

• grhyso
                              Valued Member
                              • Aug 2012
                              • Perth

he assured me he would do it right first time!
                              Famous last words
                              2010 NT GLS DiD Auto Silver | TJM T13 Bullbar | Lightforce LED 180 Spotlights | Runva 11XP | Dual Batteries | TJM snorkel | Bushskinz & TJM bash plates | Custom alloy roof rack | Sunseeker II Awning | MDC RTT | EGR Block | Bilstein/Lovells | Dick Cepek Fun Country tyres | Wet seat seatcovers | Uniden UH7760NB | Parrot Asteroid Smart | Morel, Soundstream and Kicker Audio | MM Cargo Barrier | Storage Drawer | Onboard water system |

See our latest adventures at http://www.treksandtinroofs.com

Comment

• nj swb
                                Resident
                                • Jun 2007
                                • Adelaide

I even mentioned to this guy that I was sick of having to get rework done nearly every time I get something fitted, and he assured me he would do it right first time!
                                Sounds like the last time Dominos saw any of my money. I explained I'd been disappointed the last few times with poorly made / sparsely topped pizzas, and the man on the phone assured me he was the manager, and this pizza would be perfect.

Being young, and foolishly trusting, I didn't check in the store. When I got home, it was probably the worst pizza I'd ever seen - about a third had little more than sauce and a little cheese.

The chain has lost me for life.
                                NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X