X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • torana68
    • Mar 2014
    • near bredbo

Thanks for the picks, cant really tell what the Police ones are (brand) but don't look like pencil beams, If your going over 200 on some crazy length straight road in WA they would be usefull

"When do people use driving lights and for what purpose?"
    back when .... they were used to make up for the absolute crap headlights cars had, I know peeps here say new cars are no good headlight wise but they need to go drive an early Holden (early=pre 1970) in the dark. Cars in the 70's and before had crap lighting so you added driving lights, and they were usually pretty crap till Cibie came along with the Oscar and super Oscar. Other use, Police pursuit cars used to have them in every state , until better lights came out. Driving lights should be seperated from spot lights and fog lights all have a different use. Spot (pencil beam) are pretty useless unless you have driving lights with them...... they have their uses.

Comment

• stumagoo
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2014
      • Perth WA S.O.R

Originally posted by torana68 View Post
      Thanks for the picks, cant really tell what the Police ones are (brand) but don't look like pencil beams, If your going over 200 on some crazy length straight road in WA they would be usefull

back when .... they were used to make up for the absolute crap headlights cars had, I know peeps here say new cars are no good headlight wise but they need to go drive an early Holden (early=pre 1970) in the dark. Cars in the 70's and before had crap lighting so you added driving lights, and they were usually pretty crap till Cibie came along with the Oscar and super Oscar. Other use, Police pursuit cars used to have them in every state , until better lights came out. Driving lights should be seperated from spot lights and fog lights all have a different use. Spot (pencil beam) are pretty useless unless you have driving lights with them...... they have their uses.
      I work as a panel beater, the WA ones we have had to replace have been Hella and 1 pencil one widebeam.
      1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
      *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
      1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• Antman77
        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by torana68 View Post

One of my toys was a 61 VW and it's lights were terrible, It didn't go out to much at night.
        Are you saying that the term driving lights and wide beam wide beam lights are interchangeable, but spot lights are on their own?

I don't use my lights in built up areas, or areas with high traffic, so dazzling other road users doesn't even come into the equation. I use the driving lights in country areas when there is little to no traffic around. For example on a run from Sydney to melbourne and back home again, between Sydney(Marulan) and Albury we saw no more than 20 cars per trip, and it's divided road so risk to dazzling other drivers is minimal.

Comment

• torana68
          • Mar 2014
          • near bredbo

Originally posted by stumagoo View Post
          I work as a panel beater, the WA ones we have had to replace have been Hella and 1 pencil one widebeam.
          thanks, a reasonable combination

"One of my toys was a 61 VW and it's lights were terrible,......................................... ........
          Are you saying that the term driving lights and wide beam wide beam lights are interchangeable, but spot lights are on their own?"

I had a '64 beetle , converted it to sealed beam plus 2 long range and 2 spread beam lights , but then it was a rally car if you want to be exact, you cant go into a shop that knows anything and ask for "driving lights" without them asking "what sort?" , maybe call them auxillary lights , which come with different lens's, drive, spot and fog............ hopefully ther is a diagram attached, its a bit exagerated but should explain it a bit. Really you don't need spot or pencil beam at the legal limit
          Attached Files

Comment

• Les PK Ranger
            • Dec 2015
            • Adelaide

Originally posted by Antman77 View Post
            I was looking at improving the headlights, But I think i will just put LED driving lights on.
            We do a bit of driving at night,
            My main driving lights are HID's. Current secondary lights are halogens and are aimed out to the sides
            If you need more light to the front more to the road sides, then take my advice and don't just get a single light bar, even with flood lenses to the side leds.

Get 2 x min 80w and off set angle to the side.

I have LF Genesis (35w) hids, and like you find them great for down the road, a good 700m usable light, but reflectors / animals eyes etc out to a km.
            All well and good, but to the sides in front for that critical 100m to 200m not enough light, even with combo lens on one to spread the light a bit.

So I went for an 80w Stedi single row 8 x 10w crees 2 floods either side of 4 spots.
            Not bad, certainly makes a difference, but not enough for decent roo protection on my long night drives.

So, next was no mucking about, went the Stedi 42" 240w curved light bar, 80 x 3w crees, 2 rows of 40, 8 floods each side of 64 spots
            Now mounted to my cab roof bar.
            Wow, unbelievable, and the curved bar with the side floods really lights up well.

Maybe you can look at curved light bars and go one, Stedi make them in 22", 42" and 50".

Nowhere to go, all day to get there . . .

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X