• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Clint B
    • May 2016
    • Picnic point

New suspension guidelines announced NSW

Apparently this has just been announced by Duncan Gay. My question is how does this effect us? and is this new or old news. I just saw some post this as a new announcement.

I’m delighted to announce I’ve approved for gazettal two new light vehicle standards.

The first is titled the Light Vehicle Modifications Manual – Suspension and Ride Height (also known as the ‘Suspension Manual’), while the second is called the Vehicle Standards Information 60: Carrying Motorised Mobility Devices and Motor Cycles on Vehicles.

These standards were developed by the NSW Vehicle Standards Working Group, a committee I established in 2012 to allow motor enthusiasts direct input in formulating vehicle-related policies and regulations in NSW.

Great news for Australian Confederation of Motor Clubs 4WD NSW & ACT Alan Hay - Patron Australian Confederation of Motor Clubs Australian Street Rod Federation Inc Drag-ens Hot Rod Club Classic Garage Motorcycle Council of NSW Inc - Since 1981 - 35yrs of motorcycle advocacy Disability Council NSW Garry Warnes
  • JeepChallenger
    • Aug 2015
    • Sydney

Now we can have 2inch suspension lift and a tyre Diameter increase of 50mm without the need for any certification....

If your car came with 31s you can go upto 33s without worrying....

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

• JeepChallenger
      • Aug 2015
      • Sydney

Last edited by JeepChallenger; 25-11-16, 05:38 AM.

Comment

• Clint B
        • May 2016
        • Picnic point

I'm interested to see the finer details. Are ESC car covered by this or still exempt?

Comment

• JeepChallenger
          • Aug 2015
          • Sydney

Not sure but I got this from Duncan Gay's Facebook page and also it is on 4wd association NSW page as well....

Comment

• old Jack
            Regular
            • Jun 2011
            • Adelaide, South Australia.

What is the date of this document?
            I could not find a media release relating to this matter in the last 18 months.
            RMS website states VSI50 is still work in progress and states VSB-14 the National Code should be used. VSB-14 was last updated in November 2015.

VSB-14 thread;

OJ.
            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
            MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Toddyh
              Valued Member
              • Nov 2013
              • Lalor Park, NSW

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
              What is the date of this document?
              I could not find a media release relating to this matter in the last 18 months.
              RMS website states VSI50 is still work in progress and states VSB-14 the National Code should be used. VSB-14 was last updated in November 2015.

VSB-14 thread;

OJ.
              What OJ said. My understand was that this was all updated last year and included ratios for suspension travel and a % increase allowable in tyre diameter.
              2010 PB LS- ARB Bull Bar, Runva 11XP winch, Cooper ST Maxx 265/70/17, Ultimate suspension lift, Bushskinz plates, Kaymar rear bar with single wheel carrier.

Comment

• Clint B
                • May 2016
                • Picnic point

It's been posted on the ACT and NSW 4x4 association official site as well. I to can't find it on his website as a media release either. In saying that a lot of the time these are not big ticket items so are slow to make it there. I still curious.

Comment

• Clint B
                  • May 2016
                  • Picnic point

I have done a little bit more research and this is indeed happening now. The publication will be made available in the near future.

Comment

• old Jack
                    Regular
                    • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Clint B View Post
                    I have done a little bit more research and this is indeed happening now. The publication will be made available in the near future.
                    Hi Clint,

Read post #1, #34 and #37 of this thread;

Regardless of the rule changes I doubt very much if a full 50mm suspension lift plus a 25mm ride height lift with a 50mm diameter increase will be possible on the Challenger without spending many, many thousands of dollars on serious modifications.

I will need to read the new rules when they are released so if you can PM me a link that would be great.

OJ.
                    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• JeepChallenger
                      • Aug 2015
                      • Sydney

It will be good for my Jeep.... Now I can legally run 34” tyres......

Comment

• Clint B
                        • May 2016
                        • Picnic point

To be honest OJ, I have a 30/40 mm Ultimate lift over original height of PC and will be happy if it just allows me to legally run 32"s. Not after full 50 plus 25. If I can find out anything more through my 4x4 association delegate I'll let you know.

Comment

• old Jack
                          Regular
                          • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Clint B View Post
                          To be honest OJ, I have a 30/40 mm Ultimate lift over original height of PC and will be happy if it just allows me to legally run 32"s. Not after full 50 plus 25. If I can find out anything more through my 4x4 association delegate I'll let you know.
                          What are your front and rear ride heights (EBH) measured centre of hub to under wheel arch in a vertical line?

You may already be legal to run 32" tyres as they lift the car 19mm above standard diameter tyres, so this leaves you with 31mm suspension lift, if you have front EBH of 565mm to 575mm and rear EBH of 575mm to 595mm then you are within the 2/3 travel rule and under the 50mm total height limit of VSB-14 even when fitting 32" tyres. Factory EBH specs have a very generous tolerance, front 542mm and rear 552mm +/-20mm so if the 2/3 travel requirement did not influence the situation, a front EBH of 593mm and a rear EBH of 613mm + 32" tyres would be legal.

OJ.

Comment

• 02-SR5
                            Valued Member
                            • Dec 2010
                            • Toowoomba

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                            Hi Clint,

Read post #1, #34 and #37 of this thread;

Regardless of the rule changes I doubt very much if a full 50mm suspension lift plus a 25mm ride height lift with a 50mm diameter increase will be possible on the Challenger without spending many, many thousands of dollars on serious modifications.

I will need to read the new rules when they are released so if you can PM me a link that would be great.

OJ.
                            I gained a true 50mm (and a little more) and running a 285 tyre with no additional cost as anybody else fitting tyres and suspension.
                            MY17 Triton GLX Plus with Mitsubishi Canopy. Keeping it light and simple. 265/70/16 Nitto's, Bilstien shocks, Kings Springs front, Formula leafs rear, ECB nudge bar, Ligjtforce 170's, twin batteries and a ARB fridge.

Comment

• littleriver
                              Valued Member
                              • Jan 2013
                              • Queensland

Originally posted by 02-SR5 View Post
                              I gained a true 50mm (and a little more) and running a 285 tyre with no additional cost as anybody else fitting tyres and suspension.
                              285/60/16 ?

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X