• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1989pajero
    • Mar 2016
    • Brandon Mississippi

new to me

hello everyone. Just acquired a 1989 pajero recently imported from Japan and I am loving it. I have read several threads and it seems everyone loves their first generation pajero. Just one question, I found a manual for the 4d56t engine but I do not see a maintenance interval for the timing belts. Just wondering how long to go before changing them?
  • wazza87
    • Apr 2015
    • Gold Coast

Timing belt

Gday mate welcome! 80,000kms usually. Probably safe for 100,000kms though. I have recently renewed my belts,seals waterpump etc at 200,000kms, the balance shaft belt was so brittle that it fell apart in my hand basically. If oil has been leaking inside the timing belt cover it may have caused premature wear and tear. It's quite easy to remove the top timing belt cover front the motor and check the condition of the belt, 5 or so bolts hold it on (removed in pic below). I would check it and if it has signs of aging, then update as needed - better safe than sorry right!
    Attached Files
    -jero- 1990 SWB NG TDi import, 33'' BFG KM2 muddies on 15x8 'sunnies', steel winch bar, custom rock sliders, Steel roof rack, Domin8r 12,000lb winch, 2.5" straight through exhaust, Allisport TM intercooler, Boost Tee, EGR delete, 22' LED bar, GME UHF + GME antenna, high gain fm/am antenna, duel batteries, 2in lift - Lovells springs and Gabriel shocks/struts + tough dog torsion bars, snorkel, catch can, diff breathers, VDO boost, oil pressure & EGT gauges, fusion speakers, more to come...

Comment

• 1989pajero
      • Mar 2016
      • Brandon Mississippi

thanks for the info. Just checked out the belts and the balance shaft belt is starting to crack. Mine has about 170,000 km and I don't have any maintenance records. I will be replacing them soon. This will be the first time working on this engine but I have replaced timing belts before.

Comment

• wazza87
        • Apr 2015
        • Gold Coast

No worries. I had done timing belts before also but had numerous bumps in the road getting it finished. Took me a few weeks maybe like 2 10hr days equivalent. I did the seals water pump tappets had the injectors rebuilt all while i had access to another vehicle. If you need any help PM me. I got the kit from repco and it worked out alright. Cheers

Edit - just noticed you are in the US, hence no repco. Make sure before you buy the belt kit that you count the balance belt teeth. Good luck.
        -jero- 1990 SWB NG TDi import, 33'' BFG KM2 muddies on 15x8 'sunnies', steel winch bar, custom rock sliders, Steel roof rack, Domin8r 12,000lb winch, 2.5" straight through exhaust, Allisport TM intercooler, Boost Tee, EGR delete, 22' LED bar, GME UHF + GME antenna, high gain fm/am antenna, duel batteries, 2in lift - Lovells springs and Gabriel shocks/struts + tough dog torsion bars, snorkel, catch can, diff breathers, VDO boost, oil pressure & EGT gauges, fusion speakers, more to come...

Comment

• 1989pajero
          • Mar 2016
          • Brandon Mississippi

well I just bought a balance belt with 83 teeth. Not sure how many teeth are on mine yet. Guess i should have done that first. What are the other options? I found milners in the UK and they only list the 83 tooth balance belt for my pajero

Comment

• wazza87
            • Apr 2015
            • Gold Coast

Tooth count

Hey mate, look I cant remember how many teeth the other one had, from memory mine was 83 also. When I bought the water pump/seal/belt kit he specifically asked me how many teeth my balance belt had. So I took it in with me next time to make sure I got the right one. Either way mate, just double check before you get too deep into the job. Afaik you can do the belts with radiator still in tho if you're doing seals and pump, its gotta come out. Cheers

Comment

• 98NL GL
              • Oct 2011
              • Cairns

Originally posted by wazza87 View Post
              No worries. I had done timing belts before also but had numerous bumps in the road getting it finished. Took me a few weeks maybe like 2 10hr days equivalent. I did the seals water pump tappets had the injectors rebuilt all while i had access to another vehicle. If you need any help PM me. I got the kit from repco and it worked out alright. Cheers

Edit - just noticed you are in the US, hence no repco. Make sure before you buy the belt kit that you count the balance belt teeth. Good luck.
              Could you post the number for repco kit.
              XSWAT 1998 NL GL, 3.5L MANUAL, 2" OME 50 mm Lift, MAXXIS 751 33X12.5R15 on CSA N26 RIMS with -11 OFFSET, UNIDEN UHF, NARVA 175 SPOTTIES, AIRCON & RADIO/CD,......CONVERTED to SEVEN SEATER, Manual Hubs (ex tritton)
              1990 NG SWB 2.5 TDI AUTO JAPAN IMPORT, 33s, LIGHT BAR, GEN 2 IDLER & PITMAN ARMS. PLANS - Dual Battery.
              1999 NL SWB 2.8 TDI AUTO JAPAN IMPORT, INVECS TIPTRONIC AUTOMATIC GEARBOX, ARB BULLBAR, DUAL BATTERY, SPOTTIES, ROOF RACK.
              2016 MY16 PAJERO GLX AUTO DID GRAPHITE COLOR STOCK

Comment

• wazza87
                • Apr 2015
                • Gold Coast

Hi mate,
                I have no idea what the kit number was? Sorry. It was a dayco timing belt kit from repco and a generic water pump!

Cheers,
                Waz

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X