• Show
Clear All
  • m_and_m
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2010
    • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

Originally posted by nuttyalmond View Post
    Hi All
    Also looking at getting one in the new year. Reading the FAQ on the website its says that "sometimes" there is an error code produced.
    Has anyone with a lockup mate had this happen and if so what happens next?
    Mark
    My experience is that when first installed, sometimes (rarely) the AT ECU seems a little sensitive to having the TCC lockup when it's not expecting it to be locked. Within a weeks or so, it adapts and is fine from then on. Doesn't happen to everyone but does occasionally happen.

For example, in my car, after 6 months of normal behaviour (no codes), my dealer reset the AT ECU's learned parameters using a MUT (to diagnose another issue) and it then happened.
    With SPORT mode, you can also 'cause' a code under some conditions if you change up a gear with the RPM way too low.
    Code is P2758, which is TCC stuck on.

If it does happen, you just clear it with a OBD2 reader.
    Last edited by m_and_m; 10-12-18, 11:18 PM.
    2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
    2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
    Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• m_and_m
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2010
      • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

Originally posted by TC.Barky View Post
      Hey Marshall, Looking at probably getting lockup mate next year. My only concern about it is, if it's as good as you say it is (and not saying it isn't mind you, looks absolutely amazing I was so excited for it when I watched the video) - why hasn't mitsubishi (or any manufacturer) made it this way from the factory. There must be some negative to the setup surely?

Does it unlock when it shifts gears?

Happy for you to PM me if you'd rather.
      No need for a PM - nothing to hide. My FAQ here on the web-site explains.
      No, it doesn't unlock when changing gears, and doesn't need to.

Here's my answer in the FAQ.

Why doesn't it come like this from the factory?
      The factory engineers need to balance the car's design within varying constraints. Smoothness, fuel economy, emission control regulations, customers’ expectations and limited R&D budgets - to name just a few.
      It’s the same reason there are so many after-market accessories available for our 4x4s. Not one size fits all customers.
      Customers like a smooth and refined transmission, and not all customers tow caravans, trailers, boats or horse floats. Hence compromises are made to achieve a balance. lockup-mate and auto-mate’s role is to optimise the control of the TCC to reduce transmission temperatures, plus get other benefits like fuel savings.

What I can add to the above is the gear changes are not quite as smooth when the TCC is locked. Interestingly, I had a Paj Sport for a week as a hire car. It controls the 8 speed trans the same way as I now control the 5 speed with auto-mate. But because the gear ratios in the 8 speed are so close together, it's still really smooth. The Paj Sport locks it in 3rd and then keeps it locked up to 8th. But still, some people complain the Paj Sport transmission isn't very good (ie not perfectly smooth) - hence, the compromise between better fuel economy/lower temps, and smoothness.
      So, MM have got it right in the Paj Sport, and there'll not be a lockup-mate or auto-mate developed for it.

You are right - no free lunches unfortunately. You lose a little of the refinement (i.e. slightly higher NVH)....but it worth it if you push your car harder than the average person.

Now, the smoothness in the 5 speed Paj is still very good, just not 'perfect'.
      2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
      2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
      Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• nuttyalmond
        • Apr 2014
        • Perth wa

Hi
        Id like to know whats involved in the installation, is there a pdf of the installation manual available, anyone? Thanks in advance.
        Mark
        Pajero 2012 NW gls. ECB Bullbar, Tow pro, Steinbauer module, Polyair air bags, Uniden 2 way, spv module, Provent catch can, Yokohama Geolanda G015 AT, Narva 175 lamps, Caravan rear view monitor, Ultragauge MX, Lockup mate, flashlube prefilter.

Comment

• TC.Barky
          Valued Member
          • Oct 2011
          • Melbourne

Originally posted by m_and_m View Post
          No need for a PM - nothing to hide. My FAQ here on the web-site explains.
          No, it doesn't unlock when changing gears, and doesn't need to.

Here's my answer in the FAQ.

Why doesn't it come like this from the factory?
          The factory engineers need to balance the car's design within varying constraints. Smoothness, fuel economy, emission control regulations, customers’ expectations and limited R&D budgets - to name just a few.
          It’s the same reason there are so many after-market accessories available for our 4x4s. Not one size fits all customers.
          Customers like a smooth and refined transmission, and not all customers tow caravans, trailers, boats or horse floats. Hence compromises are made to achieve a balance. lockup-mate and auto-mate’s role is to optimise the control of the TCC to reduce transmission temperatures, plus get other benefits like fuel savings.

What I can add to the above is the gear changes are not quite as smooth when the TCC is locked. Interestingly, I had a Paj Sport for a week as a hire car. It controls the 8 speed trans the same way as I now control the 5 speed with auto-mate. But because the gear ratios in the 8 speed are so close together, it's still really smooth. The Paj Sport locks it in 3rd and then keeps it locked up to 8th. But still, some people complain the Paj Sport transmission isn't very good (ie not perfectly smooth) - hence, the compromise between better fuel economy/lower temps, and smoothness.
          So, MM have got it right in the Paj Sport, and there'll not be a lockup-mate or auto-mate developed for it.

You are right - no free lunches unfortunately. You lose a little of the refinement (i.e. slightly higher NVH)....but it worth it if you push your car harder than the average person.

Now, the smoothness in the 5 speed Paj is still very good, just not 'perfect'.

Cheers mate, sorry must have missed the FAQ page. Congratulations on making such a good product that the 'too good to be true' alarms are going off ha.

I guess I'm comparing my experience with an old school torque converter lockup with an early GU which isn't really fair. In that car if you left it locked and switched gears it felt quite harsh as the engine speed has to snap down instantly so we used to always unlock it for gear changes as we were worried it was straining the engine/transmission having to change so suddenly
          MY14 NW GLX-R 3.2L Auto Build Thread
          Fitted: 265/70R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Domin8rX Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
            Valued Member
            • May 2017
            • Sydney

Just read the FAQ document. Looking to potentially buy a lock-up mate in near future. The very last point says that the factory AT ECU locks up the TC in 5th when over 100kmh anyway. So if I’m towing on the flat at just over 100kmh then it’s locked up, right? So you can do this on the flats and declines. But if I’m on an incline I could shift manually back to 4th in sport mode and it will lockup? Or may not? This is NX Pajero.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Ian H
              Valued Member
              • May 2015
              • Melbourne

Originally posted by HeavyPizzaz View Post
              Just read the FAQ document. Looking to potentially buy a lock-up mate in near future. The very last point says that the factory AT ECU locks up the TC in 5th when over 100kmh anyway. So if I’m towing on the flat at just over 100kmh then it’s locked up, right? So you can do this on the flats and declines. But if I’m on an incline I could shift manually back to 4th in sport mode and it will lockup? Or may not? This is NX Pajero.

pssst,.....It's illegal to tow at over 100 kph in most states.
              2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• TC.Barky
                Valued Member
                • Oct 2011
                • Melbourne

Originally posted by Ian H View Post
                Only NSW and WA isn't it? Vic is fine.
                MY14 NW GLX-R 3.2L Auto Build Thread
                Fitted: 265/70R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Domin8rX Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.

Comment

• old Jack
                  Regular
                  • Jun 2011
                  • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by TC.Barky View Post
                  Only NSW and WA isn't it? Vic is fine.

SA is fine to tow at the posted limit.

OJ.
                  2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                  MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                    Valued Member
                    • Aug 2016
                    • Greater Sydney

Discover caravan reviews, towing vehicle reviews, gear guides, location guides, and news for the Australian Caravan Tourer at Caravan World. Explore solar panels for your Caravan, Luxury Caravans, off-road caravans, and more for your next adventure!

Comment

• Ian H
                      Valued Member
                      • May 2015
                      • Melbourne

Yeah, that's true guys.

Depending on the weight, I'm not comfortable at speeds over 100 when towing a caravan.
                      2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
                        Valued Member
                        • May 2017
                        • Sydney

Originally posted by Ian H View Post

Wait, what?? Even small trailers? In NSW I mean. I may have read that years ago but must have forgotten.

Comment

• tnor
                          • Feb 2016
                          • Dubbo, NSW

Technically once the GCM of the vehicle and trailer is over 4,500kg the limit applies. But it doesn't seem to worry a lot of semi's and B-doubles!

Sent from my SGP771 using Tapatalk
                          Pajero NW MY13 GLX (x-NSW Police)
                          OL Steel Bull Bar; HR tow bar; Cargo Barrier; Bushskinz intercooler & sump plates and side steps; 50mm lift kit and polyair bags; GME UHF radio; dual battery & rear power; roof bars; Kenwood head unit; Tow
                          Pro brake controller; LED light bar and day-time running lights

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
                            Valued Member
                            • May 2017
                            • Sydney

“New South Wales
                            The maximum allowable speed of a tow vehicle towing a trailer in New South Wales is 110km, as per the maximum allowable speed on motorways and highways, so long as the tow vehicle has a GVM not exceeding 4,500kg.”

Comment

• Ian H
                              Valued Member
                              • May 2015
                              • Melbourne

I've just returned from a short 3 hour trip with the caravan on the back. The road was basically flat most of the way (Princes Hwy to Sale) and there wasn't any wind to speak of. Van is 16' full size caravan (not pop top) at around 2000-2200kg.

I averaged 13.6L/100klm with LU Mate on all the way. Got to be happy with that !

On the flat road I could easily tow in 5th with the TC locked and just jumped back to 4th for the steeper inclines. Was generally doing about 92-94kph GPS speed

Extremely happy with that result.
                              Last edited by Ian H; 03-01-19, 08:13 AM.

Comment

• Dicko1
                                Valued Member
                                • Dec 2014
                                • Cairns, FNQ

Just towed 1600kg trailer with boat on top (about2.4 mts high). Paj at near maximum allowable weight limit. Cairns to Tannum Sands..13l/100k and return trip 12.3 lts/100klm....Sat on 97-105kph GPS speed. Tow easy in 5th on flats and I would estimate that I only used sports mode less than 5% of the time. Hilly sections....GOTTA BE HAPPY WITH THAT. Noticed after about98kph fuel usage climbs accordingly. Around 97kph fuel usage sat on around 12lts. Around 105kph...fuel usage about 14 lts/100kph.

Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X