• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dunk
    • Jan 2008
    • melbourne

Donaldson filter kit

Okay peoples Donaldson do a filter kit included are Air filter Oil filter Fuel filter l ordered through Repco cost $108.00 my opinion is that Donaldson air filter way better fit l have used donaldson on my trucks for over 30 years lm glad they do a kit for my NW
  • Axis
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2011
    • Highett Vic

I fitted a Donaldson kit to my NS last weekend when I did an oil change.

The air filter is a much better fit than the other aftermarket kit I had been using. Less movement and thicker rubber edge.

I'll probably keep using them for this reason despite no drain screw on the oil filter (got used to having one).
    07 NS DiD GLX Manual, Alloy Bullbar, 2" lift, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, Kumho MT51, Oricom UHF088, Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Airtec Snorkel, Bushskinz Intercooler Guard, Boo's Sump and Tansmission Bash Plates

Comment

• Hill
      Valued Member
      • Sep 2007
      • Adelaide

Dunk

Agree with air cleaner being a good fit.

If you contact Donaldson they may be able to give you a direct supplier.

I think I paid around $75 for my last service kit.

Hill
      200 Series
      AOR Quantum 4

Comment

• ticky
        Valued Member
        • Jan 2015
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by Hill View Post
        Dunk

If you contact Donaldson they may be able to give you a direct supplier.

I think I paid around $75 for my last service kit.

Hill
        X2
        2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

• Dunk
          • Jan 2008
          • melbourne

Originally posted by ticky View Post
          X2
          Donaldson filter kit to Suit NW 3.2td
          Attached Files

Comment

• ticky
            Valued Member
            • Jan 2015
            • Adelaide

Originally posted by Dunk View Post
            Donaldson filter kit to Suit NW 3.2td
            Now its time to look at your secondary filter.

Donaldson Kit P903316

Replacement Filter P551615

Steve
            2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
              Valued Member
              • May 2017
              • Sydney

This is as good a place as any...

Found this online:
              Donaldson Filters supply a diesel fuel filter kit, to protect modern common rail diesel engines from contamination. We review what you get in the kit.

Checking The Kit Will Be Large Enough

It’s easy enough to check. We consistently get fuel economy of 18 to 18.5 litres/100km. Let’s assume worst case of 22 litres/100km, pushing into a headwind across the Nullarbor.
              After one hour travelling at 100km/hour, we’ve used 22 litres. In other words, 22 litres/hour. However, additional fuel is continually pumped through the common rail system to cool the injectors. Up to 80% of the fuel pumped through, returns to the tank.
              So our 22 litres/hour may only be 20% of the total fuel travelling through the fuel filter. Therefore, the total fuel flow rate is 22/0.2 = 110 litres/hour (where 0.2 represents 20%).
              We’re at less than a third of the maximum rating of 379 litres/hour, so it’s okay.

The Donaldson P551615 which I've just put on my NX is 114L/hr. So it's okay even if using as high as 22L/hour. Provided it's changed regularly so that flow isn't restricted. Is this other people's understanding?

Comment

• Dicko1
                Valued Member
                • Dec 2014
                • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by HeavyPizzaz View Post
                This is as good a place as any...

Found this online:

Checking The Kit Will Be Large Enough

It’s easy enough to check. We consistently get fuel economy of 18 to 18.5 litres/100km. Let’s assume worst case of 22 litres/100km, pushing into a headwind across the Nullarbor.
                After one hour travelling at 100km/hour, we’ve used 22 litres. In other words, 22 litres/hour. However, additional fuel is continually pumped through the common rail system to cool the injectors. Up to 80% of the fuel pumped through, returns to the tank.
                So our 22 litres/hour may only be 20% of the total fuel travelling through the fuel filter. Therefore, the total fuel flow rate is 22/0.2 = 110 litres/hour (where 0.2 represents 20%).
                We’re at less than a third of the maximum rating of 379 litres/hour, so it’s okay.

The Donaldson P551615 which I've just put on my NX is 114L/hr. So it's okay even if using as high as 22L/hour. Provided it's changed regularly so that flow isn't restricted. Is this other people's understanding?

Heaps of us on here have been using the same Donaldson kit as yours and no problems whatsoever. I now change the main fuel filter at about20,000-25000klms and Donaldson secondary at 25,000. Wasting money doing it too often , plus they work better with some filter blocking. There are many threads on here about it so I wont go into the details. Checked both after swapping at 18,000klms and both could have gone another 10,000klm easily.

Cheers
                Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
                  Valued Member
                  • May 2017
                  • Sydney

Cheers mate, yep I did a bit of reading before settling on the Donaldson. I do like anecdotal evidence but I like to understand the math too.

Berrima Diesel’s website FWIW says that as high as 9L/hr can be returned for every 1L burnt and that’s a common figure. That’s 90%. Manufacturers not specified. So assuming that’s accurate, let’s say you’re towing a heavy van and using say 15L/100km at 100km/hour then you’ve burnt 15L in that hour and your fuel pump has a flow rate of 15 / 0.1 = 150L per hour. So the Donaldson at 114L/hr is achieving only 76% of that which is a 24% constriction. Have I got the maths wrong?
                  Last edited by HeavyPizzaz; 25-03-19, 06:22 PM.

Comment

• nj swb
                    Resident
                    • Jun 2007
                    • Adelaide

Originally posted by HeavyPizzaz View Post
                    Cheers mate, yep I did a bit of reading before settling on the Donaldson. I do like anecdotal evidence but I like to understand the math too.

Berrima Diesel’s website FWIW says that as high as 9L/hr can be returned for every 1L burnt and that’s a common figure. That’s 90%. Manufacturers not specified. So assuming that’s accurate, let’s say you’re towing a heavy van and using say 15L/100km at 100km/hour then you’ve burnt 15L in that hour and your fuel pump has a flow rate of 15 / 0.1 = 150L per hour. So the Donaldson at 114L/hr is achieving only 76% of that which is a 24% constriction. Have I got the maths wrong?
                    I have no issues with your math, but I do want to challenge your assumptions.

Berrima's figures lead to "as high as" a 90% return rate, but under what conditions? I suggest the high end return rate is under optimum conditions, when the engine is running efficiently and consuming maybe 8 or 9 litres per hour. This doesn't mean the same return rate would be achieved when the engine is working hard (consuming your example 22 L/hr), nor that the engine requires it.

Let's look at it another way. Let's assume that the engine needs a minimum return of two thirds for everything to function normally in the longer term - it must return 2 litres for every litre consumed. If the Donaldson can flow 114L/hr, and two thirds should be returned to the tank (to keep things working properly) that's 38 L/hr for the engine to burn.

If you regularly empty your tank in a little over 2 hours, beware. Personally, I'd be happy to use it.
                    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Hill
                      Valued Member
                      • Sep 2007
                      • Adelaide

Donaldson Engine Liquid Filtration Guide

This should answer most questions.

Hill
                      200 Series
                      AOR Quantum 4

Comment

• Mike1960
                        • Jun 2020
                        • Maitland

Donaldson filter kit NT 4M41

I have used the Donaldson kits for years on heavy duty truck and my diesel Pajeros. They are top quality 100% recommend.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X