• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aussieintas
    Valued Member
    • Feb 2013
    • Sorell, Tasmania

Originally posted by cruisn06 View Post
    The only gain in traction will be seen in acceleration. you're turning and stopping is not improved by running 4wd at all. unless you are rally spec driving and whipping it into a corner hard enough that your angle is 90 degrees to the corner and you are using the power of spinning tyres to help pull you through the turn... otherwise this is moot.
    So are you saying on a gravel road or wet oily road going round a corner there is no difference in traction being in 4H or 2H, unless accelerating?
    2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
    88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
    92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
    92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
    99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
    95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
    08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• Jasonmc73
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2019
      • Brisbane

[QUOTE=Ozzz;639756]
      Originally posted by Jasonmc73 View Post

I highly appreciate super select while looking for a 4wd. I guess 2H is a great option for soccer mums when their Paj never leave bitumen. Due to Paj monocoque design, the idea to minimise the vibration and improve fuel is excellent to help sales or meet the emission requirement? When I tested drive the Paj, sales person put it on 2H, and I switched it to 4H

I appreciate it as well, but i guess you & i will use it differently
      Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• Patagonia
        Valued Member
        • Dec 2009
        • Santiago, Chile!!!!!

Originally posted by cruisn06 View Post
        The only gain in traction will be seen in acceleration. you're turning and stopping is not improved by running 4wd at all. unless you are rally spec driving and whipping it into a corner hard enough that your angle is 90 degrees to the corner and you are using the power of spinning tyres to help pull you through the turn... otherwise this is moot.
        I dont agree, driving in 4wd will change de dynamic weight afecting its response while turning for example, also asc will have two more wheels to play actively (not only braking them but transfering torque to them) and remember while normal driving torque split front/back varies according to driving condicions.

In my experience in dirt roads 4wd driving behavour is easely noticable from 2wd...maybe a little more boring but noticable hehehe.
        2000 SWB NL 3.5 SOHC V6 AT.
        Adjustable suspension, Rear Locker, Suspension Seats, Cruise Control, 8500 Lbs winch, all factory fitted.
        31x10.5R15 Pirelli ATR?s and forever thinking on the lift.
        2009 SWB NS 3.2 DOHC DID AT 265/70/17 BFG AT/KO, OME SD Springs +4 Rear locker, 8.500 Lbs Winch...new toy!!!

Comment

• cruisn06
          Valued Member
          • Jan 2011
          • Perth WA

Originally posted by aussieintas View Post
          So are you saying on a gravel road or wet oily road going round a corner there is no difference in traction being in 4H or 2H, unless accelerating?
          Exactly. Unless you’re tossing it into corners no difference. Sorry but the laws of physics still apply. I grew up in Canada, in the winter you see way more 4wds upside down in the ditch cause they accelerate on ice/ gravel like nothing is wrong then hit a corner and oops.. in the ditch. Like I said though, if you’re tossing it around hard ya 4wd will help as your pulling the car through the corner, but acs has to be off. So besides accelerating there is zero Benefits to be in 4wd.
          07 Mitsubishi Pajero Shorty - Currently rolling around... Parked in Armenia for the moment

Insta: https://www.instagram.com/wrongturnadventure/

Comment

• aussieintas
            Valued Member
            • Feb 2013
            • Sorell, Tasmania

I will not go into my experience in driving in differing countries and my current role in my employment but safe to say I know a little bit about driving. Saying you saw more 4wd in ditches is possibly more to do with the driver ability than the vehicle being driven....who knows. I see too many times drivers who think the vehicle will save them or drive them out of a situation where they have messed up.

When in 4H the system apportions power 33/67% front to rear, thus when driving around in 4H I believe there is a safety benefit. It apportions this power regardless of accelerating or cornering or braking so with all 4 wheels driving the vehicle I believe there is a benefit, especially when things are slippery for what ever reasons.

You are contradictory in your statement and slightly confusing as you say there is......"only a gain when accelerating......otherwise this is moot". Thus my point isn't moot as there is a gain

Anyway, we'll agree to disagree my friend and as I said in my post, everyone has a differing take for many reasons on this matter.
            2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
            88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
            92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
            92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
            99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
            95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
            08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• old Jack
              Regular
              • Jun 2011
              • Adelaide, South Australia.

I too have made the same observations as Crusin06, both in the snowfields and the outback, but my conclusions are slightly different.
              1. Ththere a more damaged 4wd/AWD vehicles because generally there are more of these vehicle operating in these areas on roads, than convential 2wd cars.
              2. The extra traction and control provided by an AWD and 4wd means that many people are now travelling faster than they should. This is a major problem when you lose traction and the vehicle is no longer under your control. The higher the speed the greater the momentum and the more inertia and less time so things go pear shape very quickly. Most drivers do not have the training or skill to handle a vehicle once it has lost traction, this is why all the automatic safety systems on new vehicles are so good, problem is they do give many a false sense of security and an inflated sense of ability.

If you veiw traction as the cars grip on the ground and this is what you need to accelerate, maintain a set speed, brake and steer. Once traction is lost then you lose the ability to have 100% control of the vehicle and physics take over.

We have brakes on all 4 wheels so having drive on all 4 wheels is an added advantage for maintaining traction whilst accelerating, braking, steering and the maintaining a desired speed.

OJ.
              2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
              MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• cruisn06
                Valued Member
                • Jan 2011
                • Perth WA

Originally posted by aussieintas View Post
                I will not go into my experience in driving in differing countries and my current role in my employment but safe to say I know a little bit about driving. Saying you saw more 4wd in ditches is possibly more to do with the driver ability than the vehicle being driven....who knows. I see too many times drivers who think the vehicle will save them or drive them out of a situation where they have messed up.

When in 4H the system apportions power 33/67% front to rear, thus when driving around in 4H I believe there is a safety benefit. It apportions this power regardless of accelerating or cornering or braking so with all 4 wheels driving the vehicle I believe there is a benefit, especially when things are slippery for what ever reasons.

You are contradictory in your statement and slightly confusing as you say there is......"only a gain when accelerating......otherwise this is moot". Thus my point isn't moot as there is a gain

Anyway, we'll agree to disagree my friend and as I said in my post, everyone has a differing take for many reasons on this matter.
                But you mention it so I will too... I also work all over the world and also spend 99% of my time in 2wd as 4wd just isn't needed, from the worst gravel in Congo to dirt roads in French quiana.., and seeing more 4wds in the ditch in a certain country does have an obvious outcome, we dont know the skill level, but if you are in 4wd and take off quickly you will go "this road is in great shape" nek minnut... off the road in a corner.

PHYSICS PEOPLE. you have a finite amount of traction/friction available. if you accelerate you lose friction available for steering and vice versa.

Now, if you apply the brakes in a corner when you are losing it, obviously the weight transfer will help regain turning ability, not so much the 4wd system.

4wd = acceleration only on roads. not handling ability.

The issue is most on here keep saying you can turn and handle better.. you cant. maybe during a club meet there should be a test or something. do a turn on gravel and see which vehicle scrubs out quicker when turning.
                07 Mitsubishi Pajero Shorty - Currently rolling around... Parked in Armenia for the moment

Comment

• willneill
                  • Mar 2019
                  • Melbourne

4wd is being thrown around a lot here. I wonder how many of you actually mean AWD or 4H? I use 4H as soon as I leave a sealed road or am driving in the wet. My question would be (as a newbie to 4wd's) when should I be locking the centre dif (4Hlc) and actually be in 4wd? I have always reserved 4wd for when a track gets a bit tougher, but have heard 4wd should be used even on an average dirt road at 60-80km/h.
                  2009 NT GLS Manual DiD, Cool Silver Metallic, OzTec shocks & raised King springs,Falken Wildpeak AT3W 265/70R17,OEM nudge bar, BushSkinz bash plates, BushSkinz side steps, ARB alloy rack, ARB awning, Ultra Vision light bar, Uniden comms, 100AH lithium battery and 30L Dometic fridge, custom drawers, work in progress...

Comment

• vrx26
                    • Sep 2014
                    • Melbourne, Victoria

Originally posted by willneill View Post
                    4wd is being thrown around a lot here. I wonder how many of you actually mean AWD or 4H? I use 4H as soon as I leave a sealed road or am driving in the wet. My question would be (as a newbie to 4wd's) when should I be locking the centre dif (4Hlc) and actually be in 4wd? I have always reserved 4wd for when a track gets a bit tougher, but have heard 4wd should be used even on an average dirt road at 60-80km/h.
                    Here is a good explanation of the super select system

I usually drive in 4H most of the time but uses 2WD mode as well at times just to save a bit of fuel on long drives and to make sure system is being activated once in a while. In saying that I have never experienced loosing traction even on scenarios when you turn in on loose surfaces at allowable speed. Not sure if driving a Petrol Pajero makes a difference maybe because of lesser kerb weight and mass than diesel Pajero and because of substantially less torque rating 329 versus 441 Nm.
                    09 NT Pajero Exceed V6 (OEM Nudge bar, Bonnet Protectors+Headlight Protectors, Stedi light bar, IDrive throttle controller, Lifted with Dobinson IMS Suspension)
                    Bucket list: Bushkinz plates

Comment

• Ian H
                      Valued Member
                      • May 2015
                      • Melbourne

Originally posted by willneill View Post
                      4H can be used on any surface, including bitumen. 4WD (4HLC) can only be used when the surface will allow some slip, like on a dirt or gravel road.
                      2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• Paj11
                        • Jun 2017
                        • Sydney

Interesting argument, I always drive in 4H as I feel it would give me better handling, wasn’t having AWD one of the reasons why the Nissan GTR Godzilla was so dominant in the early 90s, but then if you look at other Championships such as F1, NASCAR, Supercars, Indy’ Le Mans don’t employ AWD, but I guess it’s no advantage if every team has it and perhaps the extra parts,weight,design, cost vs advantage doesn’t stack up anyway, perhaps it’s just the rules. Even in Rally Driving it was really only Subaru and Lancer that had AWD, everyone other team I am sure was either Front Wheel and Rear Wheel Drive. Food for thought.
                        2011 30th Anniversary NT, TME Tuned, 2 inch Billies/Dobs lift HD rear/MD front. Arb Deluxe Bar, Mitsi Tow bar, LRA Aux tank, Clearview Mirrors, Tekonsha Electric Brake Controller, iDrive, Manta 3 inch Turbo back Exhaust, Provent Catch Can, Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus 265/70/17 all corners plus spare, 9 inch iluminators, 7 inch Stedi reverse flood light, Rhino Rack, Kings Side Awning.

Comment

• pharb
                          Valued Member
                          • Jul 2007
                          • Tyers,Vic

Originally posted by Paj11 View Post
                          Interesting argument, I always drive in 4H as I feel it would give me better handling, wasn’t having AWD one of the reasons why the Nissan GTR Godzilla was so dominant in the early 90s, but then if you look at other Championships such as F1, NASCAR, Supercars, Indy’ Le Mans don’t employ AWD, but I guess it’s no advantage if every team has it and perhaps the extra parts,weight,design, cost vs advantage doesn’t stack up anyway, perhaps it’s just the rules. Even in Rally Driving it was really only Subaru and Lancer that had AWD, everyone other team I am sure was either Front Wheel and Rear Wheel Drive. Food for thought.
                          The Nissan Skyline GTR was basically banned when the Australian Touring Car Championship replaced their Group A rules with their own rules with the introduction of their Australia only V8 Supercar series, effectively banning the Skyline with mandatory V8 engines and rear wheel drive.

Audi was the first manufacturer to jump on all wheel drive rally cars, and won the Group B World Rally Championship that year in 1982.
                          Then Lancia was the last manufacturer to win with 2wd the next year in 1983 with the rear wheel drive 037.
                          Then Audi again in 1984, then Peugeot in '85 and '86. That was the last year of Group B.

Introduction of Group A saw the all wheel drive Lancia Delta win 6 years in a row, then Toyota Celica GT4 in '93 and '94, then Subaru for 3 years, then Lancer Evo V in '88.

Group A rules were replaced with "World Rally Car" in 1989. All World Rally Cars are all wheel drive.

Every championship winning car since the Lancia 037 has been all wheel drive.

Lancia is to World Rally Championship what Pajero is to Paris to Dakar

Can you tell I'm a Lancia fan, as well as Pajero
                          PCOV Member 1107.
                          Daily driver NX GLX
                          Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
                          Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
                          Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

• Paj11
                            • Jun 2017
                            • Sydney

I think it’s settled, put it into 4H😝
                            2011 30th Anniversary NT, TME Tuned, 2 inch Billies/Dobs lift HD rear/MD front. Arb Deluxe Bar, Mitsi Tow bar, LRA Aux tank, Clearview Mirrors, Tekonsha Electric Brake Controller, iDrive, Manta 3 inch Turbo back Exhaust, Provent Catch Can, Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus 265/70/17 all corners plus spare, 9 inch iluminators, 7 inch Stedi reverse flood light, Rhino Rack, Kings Side Awning.

Comment

• cruisn06
                              Valued Member
                              • Jan 2011
                              • Perth WA

Originally posted by Paj11 View Post
                              I think it’s settled, put it into 4H😝
                              That doesn’t settle anything, they are throwing the car sideways and pulling through a corner. Not driving the speed limit and to conditions.

Comment

• Paj11
                                • Jun 2017
                                • Sydney

All things being equal you have to say 4WD/AWD will
                                give you better handling across all aspects of driving and differing conditions.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X