• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AlfA01
    • Nov 2019
    • Greece

Gearbox differences in Petrol and Diesel Pajero's

Hello.

I'm in need of a gearbox for my 2006 Pajero III LWB (5-door). It's got the 4M41 DiD with a V5A51 gearbox. I've found a potential replacement, but not sure if there were any differences between the transmissions installed on the petrol and diesel cars. I've been told they are the same, yet I see in the VIN number diagrams, the petrol has a different code added to V5A51.

Anyone know what are the exact differences between the two and whether they can be interchanged. I want to make sure I find a solid gearbox and don't overlook any possible gearboxes while I'm searching.

Cheers,
    Dan
  • Fulcrum
    • May 2019
    • Adelaide

Oh I know this one! I've recently been through the same thing with my manual NM. The diesel and petrol gearboxes are not interchangeable. I thought I could get away with changing the bell housing over and using a diesel box on my V6, but I found that the input shafts are a different length due to the diesel engine being longer than the V6. Basically the petrol gearboxes are longer than the diesel ones, and everything behind the box (transfer case, shafts, diffs) are the same.

Comment

• wah11
      • Aug 2012
      • Townsville

the auto are the same. I have just installed a diesel into my NM. I kept the same gearbox I had in the v6. the only difference is the bellhousing.
      2002/2007 NM/NS VRX/Exceed (White, 200,000klms)
      3.2 Diesel transplant.Had to transplant everything, Wiring, ECU'S.
      dual battery system. Arb Winch Bar and 9000 winch. 2" Dobinson heavy duty lift kit. Snorkel. UHF.

2013 Pajero VRX Gunmetal Grey
      Turbo Diesel

Comment

• AlfA01
        • Nov 2019
        • Greece

Originally posted by wah11 View Post
        the auto are the same. I have just installed a diesel into my NM. I kept the same gearbox I had in the v6. the only difference is the bellhousing.

Awesome. I just bought a second hand one from a V-6 model that was crashed. It was affordable, so I took a chance after studying some material on the transmissions.

Comment

• AlfA01
          • Nov 2019
          • Greece

Originally posted by AlfA01 View Post
          Awesome. I just bought a second hand one from a V-6 model that was crashed. It was affordable, so I took a chance after studying some material on the transmissions.
          Any idea if the torque converters have the same stall rating? I have a feeling mine is bad as I had a lot of metal filings throughout the system. I'm certain the transmission pump was near to failure. There could be a lot of metal debris in the torque converter that could have wreaked havoc on the bearings.

Comment

• nj swb
            Resident
            • Jun 2007
            • Adelaide

Originally posted by AlfA01 View Post
            Any idea if the torque converters have the same stall rating?
            Not a definitive answer, but the Russian service manual for a 2008 model lists the same transmission and stall torque ratio for both 4M4 and 6G7 variants.

NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• AlfA01
              • Nov 2019
              • Greece

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
              Not a definitive answer, but the Russian service manual for a 2008 model lists the same transmission and stall torque ratio for both 4M4 and 6G7 variants.

http://faq.out-club.ru/download/paje...0038500ENG.HTM
              Great info. Thanks for that. I left mine to pour out the oil today and it definitely had a significant amount of metal in it. I will start installing the new one tomorrow.

Comment

• wah11
                • Aug 2012
                • Townsville

the diesel has a different stall rpm to the petrol.
                I had to change the torque converter when I did mine
                2002/2007 NM/NS VRX/Exceed (White, 200,000klms)
                3.2 Diesel transplant.Had to transplant everything, Wiring, ECU'S.
                dual battery system. Arb Winch Bar and 9000 winch. 2" Dobinson heavy duty lift kit. Snorkel. UHF.

2013 Pajero VRX Gunmetal Grey
                Turbo Diesel

Comment

• nj swb
                  Resident
                  • Jun 2007
                  • Adelaide

Originally posted by wah11 View Post
                  the diesel has a different stall rpm to the petrol.
                  I had to change the torque converter when I did mine
                  In which vehicle? Your signature lists three.
                  NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X