• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MyExceed
    • May 2014
    • Hobart, Tas

Rhinomax hybrid campers

Hi all,

We are considering a fairly lengthy trip in the next 12 months and the little lady isn't happy living out of the RTT on a trailer I've just spent 6 months building. Thems the breaks

So ive started researching campers, it's my ADHD my lady wants a proper caravan (Lotus Offgrid or the like) and I'd prefer a hybrid camper as I want to get well off the blacktop (including beaches) and minimise towing weight/size.

I stumbled across the Rhinomax hybrid campers made in Qld and they look pretty impressive. I saw a photo online of one hooked up to a Pajero, so I was hoping the owner might be on here??

If anyone has one, could they provide an opinion on build quality, after sales support and whether they will handle the rough outback tracks.

Thanks in advance

Mark
    Mark

NS Exceed V6, xrox bar with domin8r 12000lb winch, The Ultimate Suspension 2" lift, 265/70/17 BFG A/T, LED spots, LED fog lights, 40" roof mounted lightbar, OCAM alloy rack, dual batteries, Boos bash plates, diff breathers, Garmin 67LMT GPS, Tyredog TPMS, Uniden UHF, Engel MR40f in rear drawer system, external phone antennae, cargo barrier, dual side awnings, RTT, shovel holder, spare wheel lift
  • Ian H
    Valued Member
    • May 2015
    • Melbourne

My wife doesn't like roughing it too much either but we're very happy in our Tvan. It's easy to set up, a breeze to tow and is warm and comfortable.

The problem with the full off road vans is the generally the extra weight due to the upgraded chassis and off road suspension. Check the ATM and ball weight carefully before taking the plunge. It doesn't take much to make a well loaded Paj illegal when you add a van on the back. And don't forget that the allowable ball weight decreases to 180kg if you are over 2500kg on the van. I'm not sure on the Rhino specs, it's just my thoughts.
    2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• Dicko1
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2014
      • Cairns, FNQ

6 months building a trailer and the missus doesn,t like it....do a solo trip....
      Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• old Jack
        Regular
        • Jun 2011
        • Adelaide, South Australia.

Unless you are going serious off road then have a look at the Bowell Air and Edge range. The air is a semi off road A Van style fold out camper which has no canvas, separate sleeping and dining area so it would be easy to live in for extended periods.
        I toured the factory 7 years ago when they were first released and I was impressed by the design and build quality.
        Where do you want to go today? Bolwell RV have your needs covered with the Air and Edge Caravans. Pick a model, choose some options and you are on your way!

The Rhino Max 10ft Scorpion is the lightest model they do at 2000kg ATM, it is a similar concept to the RV Vista but better because you can leave the bed setup and use the dining area as the bed pivots up out of the way.

OJ.
        Last edited by old Jack; 18-07-19, 07:08 PM.
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• michaelmight10
          • Sep 2019
          • melbourne

look at MDC XT12

Originally posted by Ian H View Post
          My wife doesn't like roughing it too much either but we're very happy in our Tvan. It's easy to set up, a breeze to tow and is warm and comfortable.

The problem with the full off road vans is the generally the extra weight due to the upgraded chassis and off road suspension. Check the ATM and ball weight carefully before taking the plunge. It doesn't take much to make a well loaded Paj illegal when you add a van on the back. And don't forget that the allowable ball weight decreases to 180kg if you are over 2500kg on the van. I'm not sure on the Rhino specs, it's just my thoughts.
          I have been researching the MDC XT12 HR, $40k, more features than Rhinomax and life time chasis warranty. Part made in China, pat in Qld, but remember it's not where it's made, it is how it is made. Even Pajeros are not mad in Aus. Reviews give the MDC a tick and after 5 vidits to the melb showroom we are nearly ready to buy a MDC. Tare 1780kg, Ball weigth with full tanks is 190kg(I checked this myself). I think all the Aussie made vans are over priced.

Comment

• nj swb
            Resident
            • Jun 2007
            • Adelaide

Originally posted by michaelmight10 View Post
            I have been researching the MDC XT12 HR, $40k, more features than Rhinomax and life time chasis warranty. Part made in China, pat in Qld, but remember it's not where it's made, it is how it is made. Even Pajeros are not mad in Aus. Reviews give the MDC a tick and after 5 vidits to the melb showroom we are nearly ready to buy a MDC. Tare 1780kg, Ball weigth with full tanks is 190kg(I checked this myself). I think all the Aussie made vans are over priced.
            I'm not suggesting you shouldn't proceed with purchasing a MDC product, but I think some of your logic is questionable.

You comment that "Even Pajeros are not made in Aus" - but they're not made in China, either. Mitsubishi manufacture their export vehicles in Japan and Thailand, and more recently Korea has become a powerhouse in global vehicle manufacturing. China have a long way to go to catch these countries (but I have no doubt they will).

China are currently a huge player in caravans and campers in Australia - but Japan, Thailand and Korea are not.

China are competitive because there is a significant portion of this market that places more value on price than quality - and no other country can compete. (Even China can't compete with China on price - but that's another topic). China is still climbing the quality curve (that Japan began climbing in the 70s, and completely redefined for the world), and most Chinese companies still have a long way to go.

Australian vans are not overpriced. They sit at a different point on the price - quality curve. Many companies have tried importing vans from China, and failed, where Australia is home to the world's oldest manufacturer of caravans - so some Australian van manufacturers are succeeding where Chinese manufacturers cannot.

Horses for courses. You're entitled to think Aussie made vans are overpriced, others can think Chinese made vans are cheap.
            NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Brownie
              • Nov 2008
              • Brisbane

The following all make hybrid campers, and the choices are growing every year-

Australian Off Road campers - https://australianoffroad.com.au
              Lifestyle campers - https://www.lifestylecampertrailers.com.au
              Complete Campsite - https://completecampsite.com.au
              Kelly campers - http://www.kellycampers.com.au/
              Vista RV - https://www.vistarv.com.au/
              Trak - https://www.tracktrailer.com.au
              North Coast Campers - https://www.northcoastcampers.com.au/
              ask about their 12ft model – not advertised.

I have looked at a Rhinomax a couple of times, was impressed, but not enough to fork out $65,000+.

Hybrid campers have not been around a long time, and there is not a lot of choice in the second hand market, and even if you find one, they are still exy. Which of the above is best - that all depends on what you want. Happy researching
              Sold Pajero NS R SWB 2008
              Replaced with a 2018 Mazda BT50

Comment

• JoshF
                Valued Member
                • Jan 2008
                • Brisbane

Talk to Judith on this FB page - she rents them out and can probably give you the scoop on quality, warranty support etc. (Yes I know her but haven't tried them out)

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.
                NS Tall and Short (Trakryder/Bilstein 2" lift with Polyairs) DiD "R", Gunmetal on BFG 270/60/17 AT's, TJM Bullbar, 9500lb Ox Winch, Icom 450, AirTech Snorkel, Cargo Barrier, Dual Battery System to power a CF 40, ScanguageII, LRA Auxillary Tank
                Custom Intercooler/Sump/Transmission Bash Plates and Sliders by http://www.bushskinz4x4.com.au/

Comment

• JoshF
                  Valued Member
                  • Jan 2008
                  • Brisbane

MDC gets very balanced reviews

almost half of those who rate it, think its crap - beware is what is yells at me (but you need to read the reviews to see why)

Market Direct Campers (Caravan & Camper Trailer Shop): 3.8 out of 5 stars from 458 genuine reviews on Australia's largest opinion site ProductReview.com.au.
                  NS Tall and Short (Trakryder/Bilstein 2" lift with Polyairs) DiD "R", Gunmetal on BFG 270/60/17 AT's, TJM Bullbar, 9500lb Ox Winch, Icom 450, AirTech Snorkel, Cargo Barrier, Dual Battery System to power a CF 40, ScanguageII, LRA Auxillary Tank
                  Custom Intercooler/Sump/Transmission Bash Plates and Sliders by http://www.bushskinz4x4.com.au/

Comment

• Ian H
                    Valued Member
                    • May 2015
                    • Melbourne

Originally posted by michaelmight10 View Post
                    You'd be far better off with a good second hand Tvan for $40K. Quality beats price every time and if it rains, the bed in the Tvan stays dry when you pack up.
                    2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• Hill
                      Valued Member
                      • Sep 2007
                      • Adelaide

Re Rhinomax

Our friends have a 2017 Rhinomax Discovery.

Their roof required new pop rivets to hold the scissor lifts during 2018.

Check how roof is attached compared to other makes.

Hill
                      200 Series
                      AOR Quantum 4

Comment

• Pushbike
                        • Jun 2017
                        • Sydney

Hybrid Camper

Have a look at the new Jayco CrossTrak. Isn't as low profile as some of the other campers but seems to be very easy to setup and comes with the basics for $40k.

The neighbor bought a Fraser XTE fold fwd, motorised, remote control and all the good stuff,wheels matching tow vehicle,>$60k good quality canvas (too bulky for my liking) Except Al. extrusions on roof/floor -- all cut edges were raw, any lashings would cut through in no time. If this is an example of their finish/QA I would be checking the whole frame assembly.
                        Pajero NX GLX MY17, OEM Rubber mats, OEM Towbar and tongue, After market Rev. Sensors, MSA4x4 seat covers, OEM nudge bar.

Remember the science demonstration of a table covered with mouse traps loaded with ping pong balls and the teacher drops a ping pong ball into the middle.
                        Well, the ball has been dropped.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X