X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigpaj
    • Jul 2009

can't get upper ball joint off

So i have developed a leak in the front passenger side of the diff, so I bought the seal to try and fix it.

To do this I needed to remove the steering knuckle, which meant removing upper and lower ball joint.

Lower came off easily, but the upper ball joint just wouldn't come off. I broke 2 ball joint removal tools trying to pop the ball joint off, try hammering it from every angle and just had no luck. After almost two days of trying to get it off i am giving up and going to call someone to come out and do it for me. What a waste of money, but i just have no option.

What was I doing wrong, how hard have other people found taking the upper ball joint off is?
    08 NS Pajero (3.2 Oil burner) . 33 inch Mickey Thompsons, ARB bullbar, 9000LB ORU Winch
  • peter92
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2009
    • maryborough queensland

to get it out use one hammer held on the back of it and belt the front of it and it falls out
    regards peter
    used to be nl 1999 auto,3.5lt petrol.
    now 1994 80 series cruiser diesel wagon
    bull bar side steps, mags,dual batt system,2 waecos 35lt,40lt h/reese towbar,103amp agm batt, 500w inverter. narva spotties, uniden uh7700nb uhf 40 ch narrow band, 2.5kva inverter generator
    SKYPE NAME possum.58

Comment

• wasarangie
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2010
      • Ocean Grove

Originally posted by peter92 View Post
      to get it out use one hammer held on the back of it and belt the front of it and it falls out
      regards peter
      And if that does not work - Get a bigger hammer. I use 2 7lb hammers, works every time.
      SOLD MY11 PB LS Challenger Manual,

MY18 Ford Ranger Wildtrak, Auto. Smartbar Stealth. Warn 9k winch, Redarc dual battery system. over tub rack system. Minecorp phone mount. Folding Phone and UHF antennae mounts. 9" LED driving lights. Assortment of extras from Tickford.

Comment

• bigpaj
        • Jul 2009

do you guys hit the nut on the ball joint upwards or the steering knuckle downwards.

Like I said i tried it all. I thought I was hitting quite hard but maybe i just wasn't. I tried with a sledge hammer and normal hammer.
        08 NS Pajero (3.2 Oil burner) . 33 inch Mickey Thompsons, ARB bullbar, 9000LB ORU Winch

Comment

• peter92
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2009
          • maryborough queensland

take off the nut and i use a 2 and half pound sledge hammer and yes really swing the hammer but do not hit the nut. the idea of the 2 hammers is to jar the joint loose. it will work. you may need to put a bar , crow bar i use, under the ball joint and with some one lifting up the bar on the ball joint, belt the shit out of the joint until it flies out of the hole
          this is how i did mine and it will work
          regards peter
          used to be nl 1999 auto,3.5lt petrol.
          now 1994 80 series cruiser diesel wagon
          bull bar side steps, mags,dual batt system,2 waecos 35lt,40lt h/reese towbar,103amp agm batt, 500w inverter. narva spotties, uniden uh7700nb uhf 40 ch narrow band, 2.5kva inverter generator
          SKYPE NAME possum.58

Comment

• wasarangie
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2010
            • Ocean Grove

This may explain it better, although I would just hold one hammer against the side and hit with the other.

How to break the taper/remove an automotive suspension/steering balljoint using two hammers.Video to be used in an instructable on www.instructables.comThese...
            SOLD MY11 PB LS Challenger Manual,

MY18 Ford Ranger Wildtrak, Auto. Smartbar Stealth. Warn 9k winch, Redarc dual battery system. over tub rack system. Minecorp phone mount. Folding Phone and UHF antennae mounts. 9" LED driving lights. Assortment of extras from Tickford.

Comment

• Matatak
              Valued Member
              • Nov 2008
              • Perth

While you do it leave the nut on a few threads, so if you misshit you dont damage the thread.
              05 NP DiD Auto. 265/75R16, OME Suspension, ARB Dlx B/Bar, Warn Zeon 10-S, IPF HID's, Rear Drawer Setup, Pioneer Platform Rack, ARB 78l Fridge, GME TX3520SW UHF.

Comment

• Stevie-Ray
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2009
                • Peakhurst, Sydney

A couple of tips...

Originally posted by Matatak View Post
                While you do it leave the nut on a few threads, so if you misshit you dont damage the thread.
                As there's some thread above the nut, loosen nut 2-3mm & screw another on to the thread (if you need to, take the nut off other ball-joint), tighten the 2 nuts against each other then hammer the nuts to loosen.

Ball-joint remover won't break if you tighten them (but don't overtighten it!), then give it a couple of whacks with your hammer!

Also, if it's difficult to have a good swing at target to hit it accurately & firmly, I use a weighty brass rod in between, which helps prevent damage to remover or threads.

Hope these are helpful, cheers
                Steve

Runner-Paj; '95 NJ SWB 2.5L TD GL J-Top, low kms Project-Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, also low kms. Donor Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, with some parts & goodies to go onto other GLS.
                "I try to take life one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me all at once!"

Comment

• bigpaj
                  • Jul 2009

well i got lube mobile to come out and take a look as I couldn't be bothered putting it all back together and driving it somewhere.

They mechanic tried as well and said the ball joint has seized and he couldnt get it out.

So I have bought new ball joints now, and I am going to get them to come back out and cut the old ball joint off.

What a nightmare. Ball joints are tough, but I have never had one this tough.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X