• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

Tyre Topic: BFG Mud Terrain KM2

This Tyre Topic is for members to post about BFG Mud Terrain KM2. Post your thoughts on grip, noise, wear, airing down, or anything else you consider of interest to other members.

BFG Mud Terrain KM2.

Rules for Tyre Topics:
    • Tyre Topics are intended to be information sources. Both positive and negative reports are encouraged.
    • Tyre Topics are NOT for slanging matches. Any posts which don't contain useful information may be deleted.
    • Please post first hand accounts only - "my tyres" or "I saw" reports. Any "mate said" or "I heard" stories may be deleted.
    • Comparisons with other tyres are acceptable, if they contain first hand accounts (see above.) "Buy XXX instead" opinions (without first hand stories to back them up) are not.

An index of Tyre Topics can be found in the Tyre Topics Index.
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box
  • nzspearo
    • Jan 2017
    • Auckland

I have these on my NW in 245/70R17 - hadn't intended to change to MTs when I bought them, but got these on a steal so couldn't turn them down.

I have to keep reminding myself how cheap they were to console myself about how noisy they are. Will be going back to ATs once I wear these out a bit more - they are starting to show some uneven wear, but most likely my fault in leaving a rotation too long, or mixing up rotation direction. Have been doing 5 tyre rotation every 10K (ish), but just realised that the tyre shop I last got a rotation done (during some other work) rotated a different direction to what the Paj manual shows. Direction of rotation shouldn't really matter, but need to keep going the same way or I've just put them back to where they came from last rotation.

Have behaved themselves in the wet on tarmac better than I expected.
    NW 2014 GLS: ECB Big Tube Alloy Bar | BFG Muds | EGR mod | 2" Lift (Dobinson Sport Coils/Monroe Gas Magnum Shocks) | Boos Bash Plates | MM4x4 Auto-Mate |

Comment

• jaffles
      Valued Member
      • Nov 2020
      • Tamborine Mountain

I had a set of 6 of these tyres however on a defender that was a daily driver, and the get away holiday car. So a bit noisier than a Pajero and all wheel drive all day long. I found them very positive in the wet and dry until they were almost spent. On dirt I'd say the last 1/3 was wanting. I got almost 100K out of them BUT I managed them, lots. I rotated every 10K and worked out their best pressures for laden and un-laden weight using the 4psi rule.

Off road I found them bomb proof, with good side wall durability and rarely cut or chipped. If fact the only way I cut up a set was too higher pressure on gibber at GVM. The gap in the lugs allows the lugs to clear and bite well on all surfaces except way to much clay. They type that doesn't flick out no matter how quick a wheel turns.

At 16psi on sand forget about everything, sticks poking up awkwardly, tree roots, getting bogged, super soft powdery sand, none it it mattered, they just do it. From empty to GVM floating around Fraser to crossing untracked desert I felt very confident in the tyres durability. I didn't drive over 50 at that low psi though.

Back to that gibber, I could run something like 27-29psi at 85-90kmH on a 3.5T truck and nail cricket ball sized rocks and corrugations for hours. Then stop to see how the shocks and tyres were coping. To my very pleased self, visually no obvious stress or wear to the tyre what so ever. Keep the pressure up and its a different story. At 40psi they didn't fail but death by a 1000 cuts was certainly what come to mind.

Would I buy them again, well yes for the shear abuse they can cope with. However I would need to be doing another 8000km trip with lots of dirt, sticks, rocks that type of thing.
      For occasional weekend adventures and the daily driver probably not. What they gave they also took. The last 1/3 of wear they heal and toe'd a lot, which made driving an endurance test as the steering wheel wobbled left and right. That might be a live axel thing over IFS though, don't know. Perhaps if the IFS eliminated that, then I would consider them for the short list. Particularly if your travels see you doing a bit or you do it often.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
      Working...
      X