• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • glsgls
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2007

pilbara area

hi all, thinking about going up to the pilbara area in January 2018 is this a good time of year to do this trip, if not what would be the best time to go and maybe not come back
  • hinsch
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2010
    • Perth

Any time is a good time but I prefer going that way in May until about Oct.
    May is beautiful anywhere north of Carnarvon , Oct starts to get windy.
    Cyclone season starts about Nov -Dec until Feb
    Just go and have fun
    NX 2016 GLS, Graphite, Nudge Bar, Pirelli Scorpion Plus.

Comment

• NTPeach
      • Aug 2015
      • Brisbane

Will be very hot obviously, but can also get quite a bit of rain closing roads.

Comment

• Pwoffey
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2013
        • Adelaide

We were up there in May and June last year. Mostly great weather but got a bit hot sometimes even then. January? I reckon you'd be a bit brave, but I'm a cool climate guy and maybe you like things warmer. On average in January, inland at Newman, say, the average max is 39C with 26 days out of 31 having a max temp over 35C. On the coast , at Carnarvon, say, average max is 31.4C and you get just 5 days greater than 35C. Of course it's often the overnight temp that is hard to bear, average 26C in Newman, 23C in Carnarvon. As others have said, you would need to watch out for rain/cyclones up north in January.

It's a truly great area to travel about. Red Bluff north of Carnarvon, Ningaloo Reef, Karijini NP and Francois-Peron NP are just a few of the must-see places. Have a great trip.
        BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni Raid 90 front, Dobinson IMLrear shocks with Kings 34-HD springs front, 35-EHD rear, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads, Mark's 4WD reduction gears

Comment

• Alex86
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2007
          • Here and there

January will be hot. Very hot. And as mentioned its cyclone and storm season. Roads can close pretty quickly up there. Also lots of scrub fires from lightning strikes.

Do you like camping in 40+ degree heat where the nights don't really drop below 30? If yes then by all means go for it!

Otherwise May-Oct is the best I reckon. March/Nov can be ok. June/July/August you will need warm clothing, inland can be zero overnight. Coast can drop to 10 or 12.

Where are you planning to go?
          I spent 6 years in the red dirt. Loved the place. I Miss it.
          '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
          Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Comment

• glsgls
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2007

many thanks, for the very useful info, might just see how warm its going to be up there in January, may have to stay on the sealed roads just to be on the safe side, looking at port headland and surrounding areas atm thanks guys

Comment

• nj swb
              Resident
              • Jun 2007
              • Adelaide

What are you hoping to see around Port Hedland?

About 5 years ago I was up there for a project, and there wasn't much of huge interest (to me) around there. Some of us took a day trip to Karijini, and concluded we really needed to spend days out there to do it justice.

My project ran June to September. Days around June - July were beautiful, by September they were becoming hot and steamy. I wouldn't want to camp there in January.
              NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Alex86
                Valued Member
                • Jul 2007
                • Here and there

Skip Hedland. Go to Exmouth or Coral Bay.

Karijini is awesome but stinking hot in January.
                Last edited by Alex86; 24-11-17, 07:47 AM.
                '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
                Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Comment

• eci_thump
                  • Apr 2010
                  • Karratha, WA

Don't bother coming until at least May and give Hedland a miss. My opinion would be start at Marble Bar and head towards Nullagine/Carrawine Gorge area, then down to Karijini and then around Newman.
                  2011 NT Pajero RX2 DiD

ARB Commercial bullbar, 22" LED light bar, Black Duck seat covers, Rhino roof rack, Bushskinz, 2" lift, Tough dog front, King Springs rear, Bridgestone Dueler D697

Comment

• erad
                    Valued Member
                    • Mar 2015
                    • Cooma NSW

If you go to Karijini, DO NOT go down into the gorges, no matter how tempting. They are fantastic places to visit, but a thunderstorm miles upstream can cause sudden flash floods and you would then be history. Even worse, some SES people would then be called out to find/save? you. Some years ago, an SES man was killed by a flash flood whiilst looking for a tourist. As said above, ti will be hot at that time of teh year as well.

Comment

• NTPeach
                      • Aug 2015
                      • Brisbane

Originally posted by eci_thump View Post
                      Don't bother coming until at least May and give Hedland a miss. My opinion would be start at Marble Bar and head towards Nullagine/Carrawine Gorge area, then down to Karijini and then around Newman.
                      That would be my suggestion also. I thought Carrawine Gorge was a bit shit but that's just me. Marble Bar Road closes frequently with rain but you may get lucky.

Exmouth/Coral Bay will be blowing it's arse off so if you don't like wind and lots of flies you may not be happy going there. Ocean will be awesome for swimming though, middle of the tides for snorkelling the reef.

Comment

• hjtonner
                        • Nov 2014
                        • zilzie

spent 9years working in port hedland to hot for camping and you can see all of port in about 4hrs but the fishing is fantastic and the beer is cold:

Comment

• glsgls
                          Valued Member
                          • Dec 2007

thanks for the replys will go when its not so hot

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X