Below Nav Bar Ad Module

Collapse

Front Spring/Strut Choice - What is everyone using???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ranger J
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2007
    • Perth, Western Australia

Front Spring/Strut Choice - What is everyone using???

Hey all,

Just looking to get the front of the new NP up off the floor. It currently has a 2" tough dog lift in the rear with polyairs, as the car has done a bit of towing prior to my ownership.

I hear the words lovells and bilsteins bounced around a bit, but just wanting to know what the rest of you run and are happy with. Looking for about a 2-3" lift, keeping in mind I will be fitting an ARB bar and winch to the vehicle very soon.

Cheers,
    NP GLS DID Auto: ARB Bar, Warn XD9000, Rear ARB Locker, Dobinsons, Bilsteins, 33" BFG MT's, 61Lt Sub Tank, Striker 170's, Dual Batts, etc. etc. etc.
  • wilyum
    • Jul 2008
    • Canberra

I have had Tough Dog springs and foam cell struts and shocks for 70,000Km. They are performing extremely well in all conditions. They certainly do the job.
    Cheers,
    Wilyum.

Comment

• nervis
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2009
      • Central West NSW

I have Lovells in mine all round, very happy with them.
      Mick: MY15 NX GLX Manual DID, SprintBooster, EGR blank, Redarc remote EBC on factory loom, GME UHF, TJM Snorkel.

Comment

• Pathy
        • Aug 2007
        • Wondai QLD

bilsteins and kings in mine very happy.
        Marc
        1st month 2004 GLS Pajero 3.2 diesel, auto, ecb bullbar, compact ralley 4000's, towbar,Kings Springs, Bilstein Shocks, Pirelli ATR's,Homemade Bash Plates, Homemade Diff breathers.

Comment

• hobbo
          Valued Member
          • May 2009
          • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

KYBs and 2" HD Kings all round, rides sweet, not too hard and not too soft, should have done it 12 mth ago.
          NP 05 Platinum Edition, 3.2 DiD Auto, Extra H/D 50mm Kings, Garmin GPS, Waeco 40, Turbo Smart Boost Gauge, Lambwool Covers, Kumo Tyres, Rock Sliders Pending, Surrey Downs Adelaide Sth Aust.

Comment

• mrbitchi
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2007
            • Brisbane

Bilstiens and Kings, however the Kings seem to be a bit prone to sag after a while. Would get Lovells if doing it again.
            Cheers, John.
            LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
            Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

• Snapcatcher
              Valued Member
              • Feb 2009
              • Brisbane

Originally posted by nervis View Post
              I have Lovells in mine all round, very happy with them.
              Hey nervis, Im very interested to hear that you are are happy with your setup. Im also searching for a lift, and enquired about the same set up you have (dobinsons & lovells) through Suspension Stuff at Slacks Creek, as thats what they list as their 'mates rates' kit.

They said that they dont reccommend the lovells shocks/struts for Pajero's anymore, cause they had a few people come back and complain that they were too stiff. They now reccommend their own brand shock/struts. It seems a bit dubious that they offer their own brand as an alternative.

So my question to you is: Have you found your setup to be too stiff at all, and do you have the HD springs for load carrying or normal ones ?

Last edited by Snapcatcher; 12-08-09, 08:34 PM.
              Silver NM Pajero 3.5L Auto. ARB bullbar, Opposite Lock Rear bar, Front Lokka, Uniden UHF, Bilstein shocks, Lovells HD coils, TJM OX 9500lb Winch, Snorkel, 33" BFG KM2's on 16x8 Advanti Rims, Custom bash plate, Cargo Barrier, Lightforce 170s, Rhino Pioneer Platform, Ironman Awning, Duel battery system.

Comment

• Zed
                • Jun 2008
                • Hunter Valley

Very happy with my Lovells and Bilstiens allround, I have the raised std duty and still carries load in the back with a camper in tow real well, the std duty coils are near twice as big as the stock ones, a mate has a NM with tough dog and proforms equally as well.

Comment

• Richo-NT
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2009
                  • Brisbane

if I had my time again I would have gone the Lovell / Bilstein combination. Instead I have OME Sport springs and shocks and really not very impressed.
                  2009 NT Pajero GLX 3.2 Auto - Sold

Comment

• Ranger J
                    Valued Member
                    • Jun 2007
                    • Perth, Western Australia

Originally posted by Zed View Post
                    Very happy with my Lovells and Bilstiens allround, I have the raised std duty and still carries load in the back with a camper in tow real well, the std duty coils are near twice as big as the stock ones, a mate has a NM with tough dog and proforms equally as well.
                    Zed, your's sits quite nicely, and is how I would like mine to be.

Just wondering how it would go with a steel bar and winch on the front though.

Rexy ??? and the others with winches and steel bars, what are you running?
                    NP GLS DID Auto: ARB Bar, Warn XD9000, Rear ARB Locker, Dobinsons, Bilsteins, 33" BFG MT's, 61Lt Sub Tank, Striker 170's, Dual Batts, etc. etc. etc.

Comment

• Snapcatcher
                      Valued Member
                      • Feb 2009
                      • Brisbane

Originally posted by Ranger J View Post
                      Zed, your's sits quite nicely, and is how I would like mine to be.

Just wondering how it would go with a steel bar and winch on the front though.

Rexy ??? and the others with winches and steel bars, what are you running?
                      You can get Heavy duty springs to cater for the extra weight your steel bar and winch. When ordering springs ya tell them what accessories you have, and they will advise which spring rating is best for you.
                      Silver NM Pajero 3.5L Auto. ARB bullbar, Opposite Lock Rear bar, Front Lokka, Uniden UHF, Bilstein shocks, Lovells HD coils, TJM OX 9500lb Winch, Snorkel, 33" BFG KM2's on 16x8 Advanti Rims, Custom bash plate, Cargo Barrier, Lightforce 170s, Rhino Pioneer Platform, Ironman Awning, Duel battery system.

Comment

• dbdb
                        • Aug 2008
                        • Adelaide Hills

I have just installed dobinsons springs / sus stuff shocks combination from suspension stuff in Queensland. So far very happy with ride / height etc, but haven't really tested them out. I'll know more by end of September after a few thousand ks of corrugations and sand hills.

Richard
                        14 NW GLX-R automatic, dual battery, Icom 440 UHF, redarc tow pro, Bushskinz bash plates, light bar, Dobinsons suspension, HPD front mount intercooler, ARB bull bar and other stuff.
                        04 NP GLX now gone

Pajero Service Manual link

Comment

• Zed
                          • Jun 2008
                          • Hunter Valley

You can get Heavy duty springs as snapcatcher said but I'm not convinced you need them,
                          how heavy do you think would be between alloy bar (40kg?) and a steel bar (60kg?)
                          How heavy's a winch?
                          I can load the rear cargo area up with 100kg approx and a camper with 130kg ball weight and only have about 25mm sag in the rear.
                          I did consider HD springs when looking but got talked out of it and glad I went with SD ones. I recon the SD lovells are like HD OME ones.
                          Have a look in Photo's to see before and after shots.

Comment

• Snapcatcher
                            Valued Member
                            • Feb 2009
                            • Brisbane

Originally posted by dbdb View Post
                            I have just installed dobinsons springs / sus stuff shocks combination from suspension stuff in Queensland. So far very happy with ride / height etc, but haven't really tested them out. I'll know more by end of September after a few thousand ks of corrugations and sand hills.

Richard
                            Just wondering if you took measurements to see exactly how much lift that kit gave you ?

Comment

• CeeJay
                              Valued Member
                              • Sep 2008
                              • Samford, QLD

I have steel bar, winch and dual battery which adds around 100kg to the front. I have HD Lovell springs and they are 45mm above OEM standard height (after 8,000km of corrugations and dunes). I'm glad I went HD, I think i'd be down to a 25mm lift by now otherwise. I have HD's in the rear also, these are now at 60mm above OEM (they were 70mm , and drop to 50mm when I'm loaded up to GVM for touring.

2008 NS DiD GLX, ARB bar, Warn winch, BFG ATs, Bilstein/Lovell 2" lift, Milford barrier, VMS GPS, Rhino platform rack, Uniden UHF, Mobile 1 antenna, MMA tow bar, DIY dual battery system, Outback rear storage, Bushskinz bash plates x 3, custom steel sliders, Airtec snorkel, Narva HIDs, Ironman awning, ERPS, Glind hot water

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X