• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fester
    Valued Member
    • Feb 2013
    • Gympie Qld

Storage bin/card slot

Guys has the storage bin/card holder slot unit changed with the NX/NW or thereabouts. I'm looking at changing it out to the single DIN slot as per the electric brake thread and factory loom instruction sheet. I've noticed in some pictures that the unit screws into bosses in the back of the fascia assembly but in the instructions it lists the DIN pocket and some brackets. I can't find any pictures or details of anyone covering the actual installation of the replacement pocket.

I had started pricing the pocket through our local dealer but whilst the pocket is not too bad, by the time you add in the brackets and screws etc it does start to get a bit expensive. He then mentioned the pocket looked like it fit other models as well. Did the rounds at local wrecker but came up with nothing. I am a bit reluctant to buy the pocket assembly new as I want to further modify it anyway for what I want to do, hence why I was hoping to find something at the wreckers. There were a couple there from a couple of cars but I glossed over them when I was expecting it needed some side bosses for mounting with the brackets shown in the instructions.

I'm also tossing up making it with brackets to suit as that may be just as easy to get what I want anyway but I don't have a lot of time to rip the car apart and can't leave it apart too long as the wife needs it daily.

Anyone got a link to pics of how the pocket mounts in a current model if it does need the side brackets etc.
  • psproule
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2007
    • Googong, NSW

Hadn't heard of this new DIN pocket. But I removed my useless card holder (4 screws from the back and a handful of broken stupid white dash clips) on the weekend and installed a Uniden single-DIN UHF. The hole is just slightly narrower than 1DIN which made using the supplied DIN dash insert brackets slightly annoying. I had to widen the slot just slightly. The uniden one has tiny screws either side from the front. Will be interesting to see if it handles rough roads.

Pat
    2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
    2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

• KiwiNTPajero
      Valued Member
      • Aug 2014
      • Wellington,New Zealand

i think vlad has installed a single din pocket/panel which is from a UK model pajero i beleive
      2009 NT GLS(NZ) diesel LWB auto
      BFG AT,Rhino Rack Vortex Bars,Foxwing Eco Awning,BUSHSKINZ I/C, sump guards and steps

"do not check the button for faster communication, this will throw a wobbly with some dongles"

Comment

• gringo
        • Jun 2009
        • Harrington Park (Sydney)

You can get a single din panel on eBay from England around $18 and it fits in that slot perfectly

Comment

• fester
          Valued Member
          • Feb 2013
          • Gympie Qld

Originally posted by KiwiNTPajero View Post
          i think vlad has installed a single din pocket/panel which is from a UK model pajero i beleive
          Saw that, he has the blanking panel. I want the actual pocket.

It does sound like other models do have a pocket that screws into the back of the fascia, just gotta try and work out which ones. Maybe the ones I saw at the wreckers will work.

Doesn't explain why the current listed pocket in the brake harness manual has side mounts and additional brackets.

Comment

• fester
            Valued Member
            • Feb 2013
            • Gympie Qld

Originally posted by gringo View Post
            You can get a single din panel on eBay from England around $18 and it fits in that slot perfectly
            Don't suppose you have actual details of a part number or what it is out of. Mind you I need it before Easter so UK is not much help.

Comment

• starjunk
              Valued Member
              • Mar 2011
              • Sydney

What's your idea for re-purposive the useless card holder slot? Been thinking what I can use it for myself... Had thought about relocating my UHF in there but I don't really mind where it is now, by my left leg. It's out of the way and the microphone cord is not in my way.... So looking for other cool ideas. Gauges? Switch panel? Hmmmm... The mind boggles.
              '92 NH GLS LWB 3.0V6 A/T ...sold Please DON'T consider
              '06 NP VR-X LWB Turbo Diesel Sports A/T..sold Please consider
              '96 NJ GLX LWB Turbo Diesel M/T..sold . Loved that car
              '08 NS GLX LWB Turbo Diesel M/T...daily driver. Wake up and Drive!

Comment

• fester
                Valued Member
                • Feb 2013
                • Gympie Qld

Originally posted by starjunk View Post
                What's your idea for re-purposive the useless card holder slot? Been thinking what I can use it for myself... Had thought about relocating my UHF in there but I don't really mind where it is now, by my left leg. It's out of the way and the microphone cord is not in my way.... So looking for other cool ideas. Gauges? Switch panel? Hmmmm... The mind boggles.
                Other people have done write ups with switch panels etc. I want to retain a pocket for a couple of things, mostly the shed door remote. However I intend to blank off say the right hand third and use that to mount my Tow Pro brake controller button.

I starting to mull over the idea of gluing the trip door shut and cutting the area of the pocket out, leaving the face over the card slot. Could gut the card slot and mount the controller over it in the face. Haven't looked at the viability of that but might work in the absence of finding the right pocket.

Either that or I just need to find time to make one.

Comment

• sharkcaver
                  "2000"+ Valued Contributor
                  • May 2009
                  • Perth

Here is a post I made back in November:

MMA wanted $101 for the pocket alone. No thanks.
                  MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• vladguan
                    Valued Member
                    • Mar 2015
                    • Adelaide

Originally posted by fester View Post
                    Guys has the storage bin/card holder slot unit changed with the NX/NW or thereabouts. I'm looking at changing it out to the single DIN slot as per the electric brake thread and factory loom instruction sheet. I've noticed in some pictures that the unit screws into bosses in the back of the fascia assembly but in the instructions it lists the DIN pocket and some brackets. I can't find any pictures or details of anyone covering the actual installation of the replacement pocket.

I had started pricing the pocket through our local dealer but whilst the pocket is not too bad, by the time you add in the brackets and screws etc it does start to get a bit expensive. He then mentioned the pocket looked like it fit other models as well. Did the rounds at local wrecker but came up with nothing. I am a bit reluctant to buy the pocket assembly new as I want to further modify it anyway for what I want to do, hence why I was hoping to find something at the wreckers. There were a couple there from a couple of cars but I glossed over them when I was expecting it needed some side bosses for mounting with the brackets shown in the instructions.

I'm also tossing up making it with brackets to suit as that may be just as easy to get what I want anyway but I don't have a lot of time to rip the car apart and can't leave it apart too long as the wife needs it daily.

Anyone got a link to pics of how the pocket mounts in a current model if it does need the side brackets etc.
                    See my TC On/Off Patch loom thread for instructions on how to remove it.

Once removed, you will note that there is a bracket inside that the existing card holder screws into (from behind). Brackets are not needed if you fit panels but will be needed if you fit a pocket for the extra support at the back. As to what sort of pockets will fit, I am not sure.
                    Please call me Vlad.
                    -----------------------
                    MY15 NX GLS - SPV EGR; Donaldson filter; Front sensors; Compass; DEI506T and DEI507M; LED interior and exterior lights; Blue LED step lights; 3T tow bar; 20% front & clear tint over privacy windows; Chrome handle protectors; 3x Bushskinz guards; Nudge bar; Hella Sharptones; Dual alarm horns; STEDI lightbar; TC mod loom; Paddles; ProVent 200; Dobinsons springs and MRR shocks; Bonnet struts; OCAM awning; Rear work light; Air compressor. TBD - UHF.

Comment

• Mundy55
                      Valued Member
                      • Nov 2015
                      • Gold Coast

Originally posted by psproule View Post
                      Hadn't heard of this new DIN pocket. But I .... installed a Uniden single-DIN UHF. The hole is just slightly narrower than 1DIN ..... Will be interesting to see if it handles rough roads.

Pat
                      I found the same but with a GME. 30k ago including Tanami and Gibb River roads and no problems - solid as a rock. But you need to keep the slot a tight fit, I think.

Comment

• fester
                        Valued Member
                        • Feb 2013
                        • Gympie Qld

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
                        Yeah I remember that. Was hoping to find a pocket at wreckers from another model at sensible price.

Comment

• gringo
                          • Jun 2009
                          • Harrington Park (Sydney)

The single din that I got just clips in and it's a great fit and if you need to remove it comes out without no problems just google single din cover on eBay

Comment

• vladguan
                            Valued Member
                            • Mar 2015
                            • Adelaide

Originally posted by gringo View Post
                            The single din that I got just clips in and it's a great fit and if you need to remove it comes out without no problems just google single din cover on eBay
                            Single DIN covers do not require additional fixings but a pocket that goes in 15 to 20cm and can carry heavy items need to be fixed to brackets on the inside.
                            Please call me Vlad.
                            -----------------------
                            MY15 NX GLS - SPV EGR; Donaldson filter; Front sensors; Compass; DEI506T and DEI507M; LED interior and exterior lights; Blue LED step lights; 3T tow bar; 20% front & clear tint over privacy windows; Chrome handle protectors; 3x Bushskinz guards; Nudge bar; Hella Sharptones; Dual alarm horns; STEDI lightbar; TC mod loom; Paddles; ProVent 200; Dobinsons springs and MRR shocks; Bonnet struts; OCAM awning; Rear work light; Air compressor. TBD - UHF.

Comment

• Sam Pato
                              • Jan 2011
                              • Brisbane

I'd dearly like to get rid of the ludicrous card slot too but I'm also a bit reluctant to spring $70- ish to get something from MM that I'm not 100% is what I want.

I had a quick google on the pocket part number MB877180 and eBay came up with a part for a Diamante - which I think is the Magna in the US. I had a 2005 Magna and there was a pocket just like that beneath the stereo. So I'm thinking that you/we might get what you're looking for out of a magna. Not sure about the brackets - it was a while ago and I can't picture it. I think Vlad may have already pointed this out in one of the threads I looked at.

Cheers

Sam
                              Pajero NS GLX 3.2DID 2008, SPVIII, DPF Delete, Inlet Clean, ARB bullbar, Pioneer Platform

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X