• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mckenzl
    • Mar 2013
    • WA

Ride On Mower

If Not ok here please delete.

I'm getting a ride on mower soon but the choices are massive. I thought I'd ask a crowd with good sense as most of us own Pajeros. I was thinking of a Troy Built with a 22HP Kohler engine. Anyone have any opinions or experience with them or recommend something else?

I have a few of acres Grassy scrub to keep neat that is not nice and level so I need a bit of power and something that's strong.

Thanks. Liam
    Sold. 2007 NS VRX DID

Now. Isuzu MU-X MY17 LST
  • Amok
    • Dec 2016
    • Sydney

Wish I knew about ride on mowers! I don't even have a backyard
    MY17 NX GLX with too much cash blown on it

Comment

• Josht
      • Nov 2014
      • Streaky bay

At work we had a cub cadet with a kohler engine and it hard the hardest life and never had engine troubles. We use John deere mowers now and they are great. Also kawasaki engine are good we had one that did over 2000hrs when we sold it. Fabricated decks last longer than pressed deck but cost more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• _jp_
        Valued Member
        • Dec 2013
        • Adelaide Hills, SA

I have a Kubota T1560 which was left by the previous owner. Its been a great workhorse and I've probably put it through more punishment than it was designed to do. It would be about 15 years old and is built very well compared to today's mowers. Its had new bearings put through the deck, new drive belts and gets an oil change every 40-50 hours.

It has a hydrostatic transmission which I was a little hesitant about to start with, but wouldn't have it any other way now.

Maybe its worth looking at a second hand one which is of an older vintage? Even find a cheap one that needs a bit of love. I think it would make a great project. I've always liked the look and build quality of Greenfields mowers. Plus they're assembled in Australia.

The in-laws have a Yard Machines ride-on (grey import model) and they've run in to problems getting spares, so I'd suggest you get one with good parts availability.
        NW GLXR - SOLD
        --------------
        EVO 6 TME

Comment

• craka
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2009
          • Newcastle (Newie)

When I was looking into them about 2-3 years ago. Was advised go with Kohler or Kawasaki powered engine, fabricated deck (stronger than a pressed deck) and it seemed that Toro and Husqvarna where the top two.

For what it's worth, and keep in mind I do not have first hand experience but if you dig around the net the troy bilt stuff review wise from owners is not great.

I notice you said you have few acres with a bit of scrub. Would you not be better off with small tractor and slasher?
          NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.

Comment

• Martynhpajero
            • Jan 2011
            • Mount Gambier

I have a Troy built 50" zero turn with the 22hp Kohler V twin.
            Bought it new in 2009 and really happy with it. Makes short work of my 5 acre block. The only things I have had to replace are the bearings in the blade spindles. Easy job.
            It gets used pretty hard too, sometimes cutting grass 2 foot tall. I paid five grand for it and nothing at the time came anywhere near it for value for money.
            NJ Exceed, Alloy bullbar, factory locker,ORU 9000lb winch, eBay snorkle,31" AT's
            NL GLS 2.8, PC Challenger auto for the wife.

Comment

• Trisome
              • Dec 2012
              • Bray Park

Always get one that is too big for the job as you never know when you will need it.

I use this one to mow 55 acres, it gets worked hard, has been a great mower so far.

I guess like anything mechanical, keep good oil in it.

Trisome
              Attached Files
              2007 VRX, Cold Air, HPD Intercooler, 3" Exhaust, Just Autos Tune, Lovels Springs, EFS Shockies.

Comment

• psproule
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2007
                • Googong, NSW

Watch the transmissions that they use. Essentially there are two manufacturers of the hydrostatic transmissions used in ride-ons. Hydrogear and I believe TuffTorq or similar. In my research on a ride-on to maintain our 3 acres I discovered that the smaller John Deere's and Husqvarnas use a transaxle that seems much more prone to failure. I think the TuffTorq is the culprit. Lots of stories of transaxles needing a rebuild after only a few years service.

To get away from that I had two options - buy a really expensive ride-on (10k+) or buy an MTD / Troy Built who use the Hydrogear. And then I got a 10% voucher at Masters one day and on a whim bought one of their tractor style TroyBuilt "Horse" models with a 46" cut and 26hp Kohller Courage single. Due to the slope of our block I didn't want a front-deck. I think I paid all of about $2,400. I thought it would be a pile of crap and last a year or so but it has actually been awesome. Heaps of power, easy to operate, fairly quick, happily tows a trailer around, good wide cut, tight turning circle, easy to drop the deck for maintenance and parts available over the counter from the local mower store in Queanbeyan. The Kohler Courage is a cheaper line of engine and the early ones did have issues with cam gears I believe. You can check the serial number range off a website. But you can get parts and even a complete engine is cheap to buy. All I do is throw a filter kit and oil at it every season along with fresh blades (lots of rocks here). After 3 years it needs a set of belts but other than these wear items we have had nil issues. I'd happily buy another. Oh, and it runs rings around the neighbours John Deere in long grass.

Cheers - Pat
                Last edited by psproule; 04-03-17, 05:31 AM.
                2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
                2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

• 2bad4u
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2009
                  • Perth, Western Australia

I'm looking at a Cox at the moment. Choice of Briggs & Stratton or Honda motors. Swing back blades and solid shaft for the rough stuff (I have a few rocks on my block). Just deciding if I want a ride on or zero turn.
                  Warren
                  2012 NW DiD Activ - Retired
                  2023 Nissan Y62 Patrol Ti

Comment

• mckenzl
                    • Mar 2013
                    • WA

Thanks guys. I will post a photo or two when I get one. But which one?!

Liam
                    Sold. 2007 NS VRX DID

Now. Isuzu MU-X MY17 LST

Comment

• 2bad4u
                      Valued Member
                      • Jun 2009
                      • Perth, Western Australia

I just bit the bullet and went a Kubota BX2370 compact tractor with 4' slasher and loader/bucket. Going to add a mowing deck later. A ride on or zero turn just wasn't going to cut it (no pun intended) on my block which is more scrub than grass.

FWIW, Kubota have some good deals on zero turn mowers at the moment if you're still looking mckenzi.
                      Warren
                      2012 NW DiD Activ - Retired
                      2023 Nissan Y62 Patrol Ti

Comment

• Roach
                        • Nov 2013
                        • Cairns

Don't buy husqvarna! I have a ts242 over the past 13 months its been back to the shop a total of 9 times! Single biggest waste of 4k I have ever spent.
                        Swb nh import 3.0 v6 5spd man, ralliart, lifted, locked and charged on 37" creepys!!

Comment

• pajeromack
                          Valued Member
                          • Jun 2014
                          • NSW

Don't get a John Deer. We had a JD ride on suffer an ECU failure under warranty. They replaced the part but JD refused to pay for diagnostics or labor. Very frustrating.
                          Also had a Honda for a while which suffered a transmission failure.

Comment

• bigdog1
                            • Mar 2012
                            • gleninns nsw Australia

m8 you cant go past a greenfield it go through any think it about 20 years old only replaced belts iv got a new cox 16hp it ok but i got a diff in it pie on grond it stops were the old one keeps going
                            Last edited by bigdog1; 26-03-17, 04:39 PM.

Comment

• Kpaj
                              • Jun 2013
                              • Adelaide

Hi,
                              Anyone had experience with the Snapper rear engine ride on? I understand that this is direct drive and made in the USA.
                              thanks
                              1995 NJ 3.5 DOHC GLX LWB|Uniden UHF|Bull Bar||Maxxis A/T 771/roof rack/awning

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X