• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Peterng
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2013
    • Northern Rivers NSW

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
    1st and reverse gears on all cars apply about 2 to 3 times the engine torque at the rear wheels due to the reduction of the gear ratios. So if an engine is producing 400Nm at 2,000rpm then it could easily convert to 800Nm or more at the rear axles. Put an auto trans in between the engine and the diff's and with the torque multiplying effect if the torque convertor and the torque at the rear axles can multiply 1.5 to 2 times so that is at least 1200Nm at the rear axle. Change into low range and the torque multiples between 1.5 and 2.5 again depending on the low rang ratio. These massive amounts of torque put huge loads on driveline components in the order of 2500Nm to 3500Nm easily . To protect everything there is a mechanical fuse between the engine and driveline, in a manual trans this is the clutch but in an auto trans it is the torque convertor. In modern systems there is a series of "self protect" programmed functions within the auto' ECU, these are designed to stop you cooking the torque convertor. The AT ECU senses input and output shaft speeds, wheel speed, engine rpm and accelerator position, if there is too much power being generated by the engine (due to your right foot) and the AT ECU detects there is a large difference in speeds between the input and the output shafts for any given gear and this slip continues for more than a certain amount of time then the AT ECU automatically reduces the engine output and the car goes into "Limp Mode". All modern autos do this, some just sooner than others!

Manufacturers can also set different trigger points for "self protect limp modes" this is also used to reduce the maximum torque that can be delivered through a set gear. In VW's they use an 8 speed dual clutch auto, this is a complicated gearbox with many parts that is crammed into the size of a normal 5 speed gearbox, therefore the size of the components are smaller and cannot take the extreme loads.

OJ.
    This vid might explain what has been mentioned above to some degree.

JTech Amarok Flash Tune - Fixing the Auto Reverse IssueThis Video was shot at Salt Creek, Coorong SA to show the problem that torque limiting creates on a V...

Comment

• Ian Sharpe
      Valued Member
      • Nov 2000
      • Tasmania

Originally posted by Peterng View Post
      This vid might explain what has been mentioned above to some degree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Sgqtu0XPLI
      wow, how utterly useless, why would anyone buy this?
      NS shorty 3.8l petrol with winch, front/rear E-lockers
      NT shorty 3.2l tdi, pretty stock with rear locker

Comment

• Shopping Trolley
        Valued Member
        • Nov 2013
        • Brisbane

Originally posted by Ian Sharpe View Post
        wow, how utterly useless, why would anyone buy this?
        To tow a caravan or heavy tradies trailer. That low first gear would be perfect for hill starts. No need to put it in low range then stop just up the road to put back to high range.
        2003 NP DiD Auto: 265/75R16 Yokohama Geolander G015 A/T, dual batteries, Kings Springs and Monroe Shocks, to do list that is more expensive than the truck

Comment

• Ian Sharpe
          Valued Member
          • Nov 2000
          • Tasmania

Originally posted by Shopping Trolley View Post
          To tow a caravan or heavy tradies trailer. That low first gear would be perfect for hill starts. No need to put it in low range then stop just up the road to put back to high range.
          yeah but but but NO USEABLE REVERSE???????????

Comment

• nj swb
            Resident
            • Jun 2007
            • Adelaide

Reverse is useable.

Not very, but useable.

This is the biggest concern I have with the concept of 8 speed autos and no low range. Yes, you might get a nice low 1st gear for forward, but what do you do about reverse?

I would've thought that it would be possible to find a combination of brakes & clutches to get an optional low reverse too.
            NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Ian Sharpe
              Valued Member
              • Nov 2000
              • Tasmania

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
              Reverse is useable.

Not very, but useable.

This is the biggest concern I have with the concept of 8 speed autos and no low range. Yes, you might get a nice low 1st gear for forward, but what do you do about reverse?

I would've thought that it would be possible to find a combination of brakes & clutches to get an optional low reverse too.
              NJ, did you see the video where he was going nowhere in reverse in the sand, to me that is totally useless & owners should be lining up at dealers to get this fixed. Imagine if our Pajeros were like that?

Comment

• Shopping Trolley
                Valued Member
                • Nov 2013
                • Brisbane

How does this compare to a Pajero or PS in high range? My thoughts are the Amarok has more usable power than my old NP. If you're not driving in sand, how much torque do you really need.

Every time I've had to reverse a heavy trailer up hill I have had to do it in high range because I need to steer. I have never needed 50% power let alone 100%.

All I'm trying to point out is that while it doesn't tick the boxes for everyone, it does tick the boxes for some and they tend to be the groups more willing to spend the money.
                2003 NP DiD Auto: 265/75R16 Yokohama Geolander G015 A/T, dual batteries, Kings Springs and Monroe Shocks, to do list that is more expensive than the truck

Comment

• nj swb
                  Resident
                  • Jun 2007
                  • Adelaide

NJ, did you see the video where he was going nowhere in reverse in the sand, to me that is totally useless & owners should be lining up at dealers to get this fixed. Imagine if our Pajeros were like that?
                  Yes, I saw the video.

I simply disagree with the language you use. "NO USEABLE REVERSE".

In most circumstances, for most people, reverse will be perfectly adequate. In some specific circumstances, it isn't.

Another example of a manufacturer developing a product without a proper understanding of the requirements of their target market, and testing the product's performance against those requirements.

I agree that the performance demonstrated in the video is laughable, but it is only in that scenario that reverse wasn't useable. Look at the number of Amaroks on the road. How many of those owners have ever experienced NO USEABLE REVERSE? For most of them, their shopping trolley / Mum's taxi / tow tug has a perfectly usable reverse - because they have never attempted to use it in circumstances where it doesn't work.
                  NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X