• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NTX
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2010
    • Niddrie, Melbourne.

Having come from 2005 GU 3.0 to the NT, I was shocked just how much better it did just about everything. Especially around town where 99.9% of my driving is done. Plus the economy, the Patrol was woeful on fuel. Personally I could not get rid of it quick enough once I test drove the NT swb. To make the GU capable off rode at least, it needed a front locker, 2" or greater lift, bigger wheels, transfer reduction gears (60%, can get 80% for Patrols!). Then it would be a different vehicle off road. But that was 10k worth when I purchased mine. It was such a dog around town and on fuel, I could not bring myself to spend the money on it. My wife could not stand driving it either. She refused to drive it after she had an under steer moment one day and ended up on the wrong side of a bend.
    I hope your experience is better then mine in every aspect mate. The CRD might be an improvement? The extra gizmos might make it more appealing also. I know plenty of GU owners that swear by them. I had a string of average experiences off road, plus my wife making nasty comments about it in my ear all the time, so it was a difficult beast to like.
    2009 NT Pajero. SWB X ARB Sahara bar. Xray HID converted Spot lights. Mickey Thompson STZ 265/60 R18. Unicorn Performance upgraded Intercooler. NP 16" rims under house, still no rubber! Rhino sports racks and Rhino aluminium basket and bag.

Comment

• stevemc181
      Valued Member
      • Sep 2012
      • Thornlie/Perth

Yes, the Patrol is not for everyone, I personally love the non car like feel of it, reminds me of how an old school 4wd should drive. The Pajero, while a very capable offroader, is just not tough enough for the trips that I am wanting to undertake. The off track desert trips and some of the North wests gully/rocky country will destroy the Paj in no time and I really prefer a simpler live axle system for this type of work. That and the fact I can actually get a GVM Upgrade that allows me to strengthen the rear end even further and keep it all legal at the same time is another big plus for me.

To make the Paj capable offroad requires the same amount of suspension modifications, lift/tyres etc, my mod list is pretty extensive on the NW. But horses for courses, it depends what you want your vehicle to do. No Matter what 4wd I buy, modding it is a given for me, so its a moot point really. I am lucky and have the best of both worlds I guess, The Paj is still in the family and will keep the missus happy as her daily driver, and the Patrol is a new project for me to work on.
      GVM Upgrade and Lift is already sorted, 33" tyres and maybe a front e-locker down the track will be about all I require for what it will be doing.
      2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

Current vehicle: 2016 Y61 GU Patrol Legend series Auto, (Last of the Breed)
      3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

• NTX
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2010
        • Niddrie, Melbourne.

Originally posted by stevemc181 View Post
        Yes, the Patrol is not for everyone, I personally love the non car like feel of it, reminds me of how an old school 4wd should drive. The Pajero, while a very capable offroader, is just not tough enough for the trips that I am wanting to undertake. The off track desert trips and some of the North wests gully/rocky country will destroy the Paj in no time and I really prefer a simpler live axle system for this type of work. That and the fact I can actually get a GVM Upgrade that allows me to strengthen the rear end even further and keep it all legal at the same time is another big plus for me.

To make the Paj capable offroad requires the same amount of suspension modifications, lift/tyres etc, my mod list is pretty extensive on the NW. But horses for courses, it depends what you want your vehicle to do. No Matter what 4wd I buy, modding it is a given for me, so its a moot point really. I am lucky and have the best of both worlds I guess, The Paj is still in the family and will keep the missus happy as her daily driver, and the Patrol is a new project for me to work on.
        GVM Upgrade and Lift is already sorted, 33" tyres and maybe a front e-locker down the track will be about all I require for what it will be doing.
        Off the shelf personally I found the Paj left the Patrol for dead in most offroad situations, mainly thanks to traction control. I did drive my mates early model GU with a lift and 33" tyres. It was a different vehicle to drive compared to my factory setup. It was like driving a Jason recliner over seriously rough country! I was jealous as hell and didn't want to get back into my newer GU. His is a 4.2L which made a fair bit of difference as well to throttle use. He also recently did the reduction gear upgrade which I would seriously consider if you are going t do some rock hopping. If you have a mechanic mate, apparently its not as difficult as it might look to install and save yourself a few bob. Good luck with it all mate.
        2009 NT Pajero. SWB X ARB Sahara bar. Xray HID converted Spot lights. Mickey Thompson STZ 265/60 R18. Unicorn Performance upgraded Intercooler. NP 16" rims under house, still no rubber! Rhino sports racks and Rhino aluminium basket and bag.

Comment

• stevemc181
          Valued Member
          • Sep 2012
          • Thornlie/Perth

Almost Done, the diff is in the jig and getting the braces welded on and then the GVM Upgrade is done. Then it's off to the tinting shop and back to Nissan for rego and handover. Hopefully I'll see it early-mid next week. Once I pick it up, then it's straight to the tyre fitters to trade the stock tyres for a set of Mickey T ATZ P3's in 285/70/17 (33") I managed to get a mates rates deal on the tyres, so it will only cost me $200 each for the changeover! Bargain!

2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

• grhyso
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2012
            • Perth

It's going to be a weapon Steve, bet you're like a kid on Christmas eve!
            2010 NT GLS DiD Auto Silver | TJM T13 Bullbar | Lightforce LED 180 Spotlights | Runva 11XP | Dual Batteries | TJM snorkel | Bushskinz & TJM bash plates | Custom alloy roof rack | Sunseeker II Awning | MDC RTT | EGR Block | Bilstein/Lovells | Dick Cepek Fun Country tyres | Wet seat seatcovers | Uniden UH7760NB | Parrot Asteroid Smart | Morel, Soundstream and Kicker Audio | MM Cargo Barrier | Storage Drawer | Onboard water system |

See our latest adventures at http://www.treksandtinroofs.com

Comment

• stevemc181
              Valued Member
              • Sep 2012
              • Thornlie/Perth

Originally posted by grhyso View Post
              It's going to be a weapon Steve, bet you're like a kid on Christmas eve!
              Hahaha, Yep, I am champing at the bit. I've started stripping the Paj out, as the missus won't need or use half the gear I have in there.

Comment

• nj swb
                Resident
                • Jun 2007
                • Adelaide

Hahaha, Yep, I am champing at the bit. I've started stripping the Paj out, as the missus won't need or use half the gear I have in there.
                What are your plans for the NW's rear suspension?
                NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• stevemc181
                  Valued Member
                  • Sep 2012
                  • Thornlie/Perth

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                  What are your plans for the NW's rear suspension?
                  I am going to be selling off the King coils and the Dobinson Remote res shocks. At the moment with no weight onboard she is sitting about 20mm too high.
                  I only fitted it all back in a few weeks ago, so maybe 300kms of road use on the brand new KCRR35HD-SP King coils, and the MRR shocks were rebuilt and revalved by Dobinsons after our CSR misadventure, so they are basically brand new also. I will be selling it all as a complete set-up, rear coils and rear shocks for $400, so less than half the new price. I know Sharkcaver had shown some interest, so I'll give him first dibs on these, but if you are interested let me know and I'll give you second dibs before I put them up in the market place.

I'll be putting an old set of Lovells coils CRR-91HD in and a set of near new OME Shocks for the missus. I am undecided yet as to whether I'll keep the airbags, mainly because it shits me trying to fit the friggin things! I keep pinching the airlines at the top. I'll probably change all this out on the weekend.

Comment

• nj swb
                    Resident
                    • Jun 2007
                    • Adelaide

I know Sharkcaver had shown some interest, so I'll give him first dibs on these, but if you are interested let me know and I'll give you second dibs before I put them up in the market place.
                    Definitely interested - have to think about the money I need to spend on Shorty, but it would be hard to pass up.

So I expect Shane will grab them. I think he'll appreciate them if he does.
                    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• stevemc181
                      Valued Member
                      • Sep 2012
                      • Thornlie/Perth

Definitely interested - have to think about the money I need to spend on Shorty, but it would be hard to pass up.

PM Sent

Comment

• sharkcaver
                        "2000"+ Valued Contributor
                        • May 2009
                        • Perth

Nah mate. I have all that crap fitted to mine already. I would have only grabbed these and they would have sat in the shed, so go for it.
                        MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Lando
                          Valued Member
                          • May 2013
                          • Lake Maquarie NSW

Man id love a patrol!....so tank like...but thats what i love about them, perfect for weekend shenadigans out bush awesome work steve!!

PS. If those shocks aren't snapped up ill put 2nd dibs in as i was after a set for the rear cash moniez your way asap
                          Last edited by Lando; 20-01-17, 10:15 PM.
                          MY14 NW GLX-R

This thing goes freaking everywhere!!

Comment

• stevemc181
                            Valued Member
                            • Sep 2012
                            • Thornlie/Perth

Originally posted by Lando View Post
                            Man id love a patrol!....so tank like...but thats what i love about them, perfect for weekend shenadigans out bush awesome work steve!!

PS. If those shocks aren't snapped up ill put 2nd dibs in as i was after a set for the rear cash moniez your way asap

You're out of luck Lando, nj swb has snapped these up.

Comment

• Lando
                              Valued Member
                              • May 2013
                              • Lake Maquarie NSW

All good...was never any stress as was gonna get some from Kieron anyways
                              MY14 NW GLX-R

This thing goes freaking everywhere!!

Comment

• Nab
                                Valued Member
                                • Mar 2012
                                • Perth

To share the love, I am probably (90%) driving to Adelaide in March/April and can deliver for free if you want to wait that long. No guarantees though, a couple things need to line up for me first....
                                SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
                                NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X