• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stumagoo
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2014
    • Perth WA S.O.R

Yes the ecu's are extremely capable, however the research required to mod a Paj ecu to a level similar to yours is beyond me for sure and the magna/evo guys have no desire or need to do it, NL is the earliest that will take reflashing as far as tactrix/openport goes. one day I intend to look into a NM ecu but unfortunately its not any time soon.
    1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
    *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
    1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• NMPajboy
      • Oct 2016
      • QLD

Some good debate going on here. Thanks guys.
      The cops have 3 wires going to them;
      A 12v switched ignition positive supply
      A negative or ground wire
      And a 5v logic signal wire.

So only the logic signal wires get paired together to drive the coils from the 1 ecu output and these are only dealing with milliamps to drive the pnp junctions in the ignition module that is built into each COP.
      So spark strength is not effected as each coil has its own 12v load supply.
      Running COPS in wasted spark format is a bit of a waste but will still perform better than wasted spark coils, as no leads and as each plug has its own coil, if a plug dies it only effects that cylinder where as with a wasted coil, a dead spark plug will often effect the paired cylinder as well as the HV circuit actually goes on 1 plug and back on the other so what effects one cylinder will effect both on that coil.
      My 4 cylinder bike engine running wasted spark wont run at all if i pull one plug lead as actually drops 2 cylinders as you've broken the HV circuit.

Comment

• stumagoo
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2014
        • Perth WA S.O.R

Originally posted by NMPajboy View Post
        Some good debate going on here. Thanks guys.
        The cops have 3 wires going to them;
        A 12v switched ignition positive supply
        A negative or ground wire
        And a 5v logic signal wire.

So only the logic signal wires get paired together to drive the coils from the 1 ecu output and these are only dealing with milliamps to drive the pnp junctions in the ignition module that is built into each COP.
        So spark strength is not effected as each coil has its own 12v load supply.
        Running COPS in wasted spark format is a bit of a waste but will still perform better than wasted spark coils, as no leads and as each plug has its own coil, if a plug dies it only effects that cylinder where as with a wasted coil, a dead spark plug will often effect the paired cylinder as well as the HV circuit actually goes on 1 plug and back on the other so what effects one cylinder will effect both on that coil.
        My 4 cylinder bike engine running wasted spark wont run at all if i pull one plug lead as actually drops 2 cylinders as you've broken the HV circuit.
        All good guys. happy to learn it's a viable MOD
        1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
        1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• NMPajboy
          • Oct 2016
          • QLD

I'll do a full step by step " How To" when i do this engine swap, including the COP's mod and report my findings on it all.

Comment

• wah11
            • Aug 2012
            • Townsville

very interested, looking to do the same with my NM 3.5
            2002/2007 NM/NS VRX/Exceed (White, 200,000klms)
            3.2 Diesel transplant.Had to transplant everything, Wiring, ECU'S.
            dual battery system. Arb Winch Bar and 9000 winch. 2" Dobinson heavy duty lift kit. Snorkel. UHF.

2013 Pajero VRX Gunmetal Grey
            Turbo Diesel

Comment

• NMPajboy
              • Oct 2016
              • QLD

Originally posted by wah11 View Post
              very interested, looking to do the same with my NM 3.5
              Well, as with most of these things, posting this and doing much, much more searching, i find that this is not an easy conversion, as the NM engine is COMPLETELY different to the NL and as such the bolt and play swap of engine parts will not work.
              The only spannering option is to have the 6G74 Paj block bored to take the 380 pistons and then fit the 380 crank, rods, pistons and heads onto the paj block. But i dont have the money for the engine machining, or the new rings and bearings either.
              So, i figure, the engine will bolt to the torque converter and bell housing, so thats the tricky engineering stuff sorted, the rest is just fabrication and head scratching, so i am going to give it a crack anyway at fitting the 380 as is and show how to get around the various problems. I have sourced another NM engine for next to nothing with noisy big ends, so can use this to measure mounting points from and strip the sump and oil pump and various other bits needed to either modify or copy to fit the 380.
              i want to use as much of the 380 as possible just because its all newer and cheaper to come by than Pajero stuff.
              I also figure that by going this way, if i have engine problems in the future, its cheap to source another 380 and swap my bits over to that and fit it than have to rebore another Paj block etc.

Anyway, maybe it can be done, maybe it cant, but i think the former is possible and going to have fun trying lol

Comment

• stumagoo
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2014
                • Perth WA S.O.R

everyone told me the NL engine cant go in the NJ...... a bit of head scratching and some fabrication later (and a lot more head scratching when it came to decoding the ecu) I had the old engine out and the new one in in 2 weekends.

Comment

• NMPajboy
                  • Oct 2016
                  • QLD

Originally posted by stumagoo View Post
                  everyone told me the NL engine cant go in the NJ...... a bit of head scratching and some fabrication later (and a lot more head scratching when it came to decoding the ecu) I had the old engine out and the new one in in 2 weekends.
                  Good work bud. Always like doing what cant be done lol

Comment

• kocsog
                    • Jan 2017
                    • Melbourne

So does anyone know how to fit the 380 engine or how to stroke the 3,5 with the 380 crankshaft? Has anyone done it?

Comment

• NMPajboy
                      • Oct 2016
                      • QLD

I will be posting a how to on this as soon as i get some time. From what i have checked so far, there are alot of little issues to overcome. So it wont be an quick swap. And access to a AC TIG welder for alloy welding to create a new thermostat housing is a must and probably the most involved part of the conversion. But i will cover all this in detail when i start.
                      But as far as stroking the 3.5. Its just a case of getting the 3.5 block rebored to take the 380 pistons, then rebuilding the 3.5 block with the 380 crank, rods, pistons, heads and cams. Then re use everthing else from the 3.5.

Comment

• kocsog
                        • Jan 2017
                        • Melbourne

I will be posting a how to on this as soon as i get some time. From what i have checked so far, there are alot of little issues to overcome. So it wont be an quick swap. And access to a AC TIG welder for alloy welding to create a new thermostat housing is a must and probably the most involved part of the conversion. But i will cover all this in detail when i start.
                        But as far as stroking the 3.5. Its just a case of getting the 3.5 block rebored to take the 380 pistons, then rebuilding the 3.5 block with the 380 crank, rods, pistons, heads and cams. Then re use everthing else from the 3.5.

This is what I'm going to do.

Comment

• stumagoo
                          Valued Member
                          • Jun 2014
                          • Perth WA S.O.R

Originally posted by kocsog View Post
                          So does anyone know how to fit the 380 engine or how to stroke the 3,5 with the 380 crankshaft? Has anyone done it?
                          Yes I believe this has been done, and on a NM I think, the thread is on the forums here as well. can not remember where its located and who was the author

Comment

• NMPajboy
                            • Oct 2016
                            • QLD

Originally posted by stumagoo View Post
                            Yes I believe this has been done, and on a NM I think, the thread is on the forums here as well. can not remember where its located and who was the author
                            I believe it was a triton install but was the same basic 6g74 as the nm paj bored out and rebuilt using the 380 stuff.

Comment

• stumagoo
                              Valued Member
                              • Jun 2014
                              • Perth WA S.O.R

I believe it was a triton install but was the same basic 6g74 as the nm paj bored out and rebuilt using the 380 stuff.
                              you may be correct there, I do remember something like that and pretty sure it was taken out to 4.0 or something as well

Comment

• stumagoo
                                Valued Member
                                • Jun 2014
                                • Perth WA S.O.R

actually here is one https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=38287

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X