• Show
Clear All
  • NJ94
    Valued Member
    • May 2009
    • Melbourne East

Triton wheels on camper

Hi all
    Long time no post. I have an MN Triton that I absolutely love. We went outback and towing the camper around as well as crossing the Oodnadatta Track, returned mileage of 13.5 litres per 100 kms.

I want to have triton wheels all round so I bought 4 new rims. They won't fit the camper which currently has 16" Hi-Lux whels. As a matter of fact not even the triton wheelnuts go on the thread??

Can anyone help me as to how I can eventually have triton wheels all round? The camper is an O'Brien model. Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated. I have looked on the search part but could only find stuff about the offset, not the incompatible threads??

Peter
    "We have two lives, and the second begins when we realise we have only one." Confucius (551-479 B.C.)

MN Triton GLX Plus, dual batteries, ARB winchbar, Airtec snorkel and 3T towbar. Love it!!
  • Trisome
    • Dec 2012
    • Bray Park

You will need to change the hub assembly as the wheel studs will be different.....and the maybe the offset is different as well. You should be able to measure the off set by laying the wheels on the ground and measure from the floor to the wheel centre. makes sure you measure from the same place on the rims, so, rim to wheel centre, not tyre to rim centre on one, and rim to wheel centre on the other.

Sometime the offset is stamped on the back of the rim.

Trisome
    2007 VRX, Cold Air, HPD Intercooler, 3" Exhaust, Just Autos Tune, Lovels Springs, EFS Shockies.

Comment

• GOSSAMER
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2008
      • doncaster east vic

Assuming your camper is 6 stud. I fitted these (see below) to my camper, the spacer makes up for the offset difference use the original nuts from the camper to bolt them on and triton nuts should fit the spacer. I have since been told it may be illegal to have spacers even on a camper. I took our camper up through the centre and Cape york like this.
      (2) 35 6 Stud 6x139.7 M12x1.5 Wheel Spacers Hilux Pajero Triton Dmax Ranger". price for 2 pcs WHEEL ADAPTERS SPACER (1 pair). High quality Aluminum Wheel Spacers and Adapters with machine pressed wheel studs and matching lug nuts with specifications as described below.

Given your probably not that far from me i'm more than happy for you to try mine before you buy if that helps.
      Back from the Dark side
      NT VRX, Ironbark, Dobinson suspension, Kanati muddies 275 65 18, Boo's bash plates (now with dents )

Comment

• 4wd26
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2007
        • Bayside, Brisbane & Stradie

very hard to fit genuine Mitsubishi rims onto an aftermarket axle due to the centre hub size of the factory rim

67mm vs normal hole diameter of around 110mm

can go aftermarket all around to "match" or get something like Prado rims which are +30 offset and are very close to the factory triton offset of +38 so everything can be switched around (if required)
        ML triton with some accessories
        National E Trek Libary
        Getting Out There

Comment

• GOSSAMER
          Valued Member
          • Apr 2008
          • doncaster east vic

Originally posted by 4wd26 View Post
          very hard to fit genuine Mitsubishi rims onto an aftermarket axle due to the centre hub size of the factory rim

67mm vs normal hole diameter of around 110mm
          The wheel spacers above space it out enough to clear the bearing
          Back from the Dark side
          NT VRX, Ironbark, Dobinson suspension, Kanati muddies 275 65 18, Boo's bash plates (now with dents )

Comment

• phicks
            Valued Member
            • Feb 2011
            • melbourne

You just need to get some new hubs for the Camper trailer, and then purchase some rims/tyres..
            if you sweet talk you're local dealer, they might give you some factory steel MN triton rims for nothing.. Many dealers have been throwing them in the bin - us included, as the MQ Triton had a wheel swap half way through from Steel to Alloy, so many dealers have hundreds of them that are no good to them..
            Then just have your camper people replace the hubs to match the triton stud pattern.
            NX Pajero GLS. Service Manager at Chadstone Mitsubishi.

Comment

• sharkcaver
              "2000"+ Valued Contributor
              • May 2009
              • Perth

I had a camper with 16" Triton wheels attached. The camper had standard ford slimline bearings. I just had to get a spigot turned on the hub nose to clear the inner diameter of the rim. It cleared the 67mm dia locating diameter, but not the smaller inner. So depending on the hub, it can be done, and done without illegal wheel spacers.

The wheel nuts will be an issue for you though. The triton has M12 fine. Sounds like you have 1/2" yota. You could just buy new lug nuts to suit.......

You could try a trailer joint for new studs, but what I found was the knurled head on the 1/2" studs are larger, so you cant interchange the stud. Maybe your trailer joint has 1/2" and m12 with the same head???

If not,, it would be new hubs. But they are cheap enough. Go see your local trailer parts supplier and get a price on new hubs, drilled for m12 studs. Whilst at it, get them to turn the stub to clear the rim.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by sharkcaver; 08-07-16, 09:17 PM.
              MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• sharkcaver
                "2000"+ Valued Contributor
                • May 2009
                • Perth

I made a mud map sketch here re the hub turning detail:

MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• NJ94
                  Valued Member
                  • May 2009
                  • Melbourne East

Thanks everybody. As I said in another thread I have been battling illness so I'm sorry I haven't been around.

I think in this case, the triton hubs will fit but the studs are wrong.
                  Cheers
                  Peter
                  "We have two lives, and the second begins when we realise we have only one." Confucius (551-479 B.C.)

MN Triton GLX Plus, dual batteries, ARB winchbar, Airtec snorkel and 3T towbar. Love it!!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X