• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smithd0
    • Mar 2009
    • Geraldton W.A

Relocating Air-con control dials to bottom din

Gday all,

I brought a no name double din GPS/DVD from ebay and before it turns up I decided to relocate the air-con / vent controls to the bottom single din slot where the 6 stack cd is located.

To complete this you need to remove the six stack in the slot and replace with the air-con vent controls.

The process of removing the centre surrounds to get to the stacker has been posted by forum members (thanks King Triton) so I won’t replicate here (link to process below).

To remove the radio surround is simple (also posted by other members)

Remove two screws to the top and use a flat screw driver / chisel to push in at the bottom four locations and pull the surround down from the top and out. Unclick the hazard light loom.

To remove the air con / vent unit
    1. unscrew four corner screws of unit and pull unit out
    2. Unclip 3 loom connectors at back of unit
    3. Unclip Vent Dial cable eye on underside of unit
    4. Unclip Temperature Dial cable eye on underside of unit
    5. Remove unit.

The vent and temperature cables are connected like a brake cable in two locations

1. The cable eye is connected to a plastic lug on the underside of the unit. The
    plastic lug has push-in springs on each side to hold the cable eye on.

2. 25 mm down the cable, the cable is crimped by a spring type clip which is pushed
    in to the underside of the unit.

Unclipping the cables from the unit stumped me for a while hence the post to show how I removed them.

I used a 7 mm open end spanner and slid if over the plastic lug to push in the springs. I held the spanner in place and pulled the cable eye down at the same time. You will need to access the underside of the unit from the lower din slot.

Next was unclipping the cable from the unit. You need to use a small flat screw driver and push in the clip housing from the top to compress the clip so that is slides out of the unit. Takes a bit of fiddling around but if you put the screw driver to the back of the clip housing (front of car) and lever forward it will compress the clip and you can pull the cable down from underneath with your other hand.

The unit should now be free.

Relocating the unit to the bottom single din was pretty simple.

1. Place in single din slot
    2. Plug in 3 looms
    3. Reconnect Vent Cable (left cable) eye to plastic lug on the underside of the unit
    and push spring clip holding the cable sheath back up into back of unit.
    4. Reconnect Temperature Cable (right cable) eye to plastic lug on the underside of
    the unit.

If you try to clip the spring clip holding the cable sheath back up into the back of the unit you will find the metal sub-frame in the way. Some have notched this to fit the cable and some have used cable ties. I selected the cable ties which is really quick and simply.

You need to pull the cable down the outside of the metal frame from the top where it was previously located and attach the ties as detailed. The ties need to be securely fastened to the spring clip to prevent the sheath moving when the Temperature Dial is moved.

BEFORE

AFTER

Link to remove centre console

Cheers
    Des.
    Last edited by smithd0; 22-10-11, 11:24 PM.
    2005 NP 3.2 DiD Platnium Edition (Black) 265/70/17 BF Goodrich TA/KO, Rhino Aero bars, roof basket, Bilstein B6 HD, 2" lift Lovells HD front SD rear, GME TX3400 radio, bash plates, 7" in dash GPS/DVD/DTV, ABR Delux Bar, Narva 225 Ultima, HID 55w Kit. Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller, Windsor Rapid 521A.

On Order Snorkle
  • fordriver1
    • Aug 2011
    • adelaide

nice write up- i did the same.

does any one know if the updated controls (with round dial controls, not the long ones) connects to all the same workings behind?

Comment

• hinsch
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2010
      • Perth

relocate

Did this change today, did you find the vent cable was a bit stretched, my vent select knob does not go fully to torso now, but good enough.
      I think the set up looks better this way.
      Thank you for the detailed info helped.
      NX 2016 GLS, Graphite, Nudge Bar, Pirelli Scorpion Plus.

Comment

• smithd0
        • Mar 2009
        • Geraldton W.A

Originally posted by hinsch View Post
        Did this change today, did you find the vent cable was a bit stretched, my vent select knob does not go fully to torso now, but good enough.
        I think the set up looks better this way.
        Thank you for the detailed info helped.
        I didnt find the vent cable tight. The vent dial can turn to all locations.

What I did find a little tight was the heater dial turning towards heat (or the right).

That is ok though because we dont really use the heater so can live with that.

I have installed the no name 7" GPS/DVD/DTV etc and will post some pics of the install tonight, after I have set up oziexplorer on it
        2005 NP 3.2 DiD Platnium Edition (Black) 265/70/17 BF Goodrich TA/KO, Rhino Aero bars, roof basket, Bilstein B6 HD, 2" lift Lovells HD front SD rear, GME TX3400 radio, bash plates, 7" in dash GPS/DVD/DTV, ABR Delux Bar, Narva 225 Ultima, HID 55w Kit. Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller, Windsor Rapid 521A.

On Order Snorkle

Comment

• smithd0
          • Mar 2009
          • Geraldton W.A

I have installed the 7" DVD/GPS/DTV which was really simple.

The unit came with ISO connectors and I purchased an Aerpro harness APP0111 from Auto One from $12.95.

Here is a photo of the unit installed.

For the GPS I ran the cabling from the unit behind the glove box and under the drivers side pillar molding. Below is a photo, though I might flip the GPS up and hide under the visor.

The accuracy of the GPS is excellent and I'm really happy with the unit.

I just need to work out how to wire in the factory roof mounted DVD loom into this unit.
          Last edited by smithd0; 11-11-11, 12:15 AM.

On Order Snorkle

Comment

• 3.8v6lover
            • Aug 2010
            • newcastle

hi, i have done same set up as u. ive got a polaris 7 inch touchscreen head unit and bought an ebay roof mount dvd player and just connected them with a standard av cable. works beautiful and so much easier to fiddle round with all the movie stuff up the front instead of reaching around up over your head. K
            Keeps the 4 kids occupied anyway!
            Until we hit the bush that is, then everything gets turned off!!
            2003 np pajero, lightforce 170's, remote head uhf mounted above rear vision mirror, 7 inch touchscreen stereo, arb under bonnet air compressor, 10 inch roof mounted dvd player, electric brake controller,

Comment

• Ranger J
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2007
              • Perth, Western Australia

Found this guide very helpful for the install of my dig_options ebay unit last friday.

The cable clips were a bit of a pain and so was having to file the fascia to fit it over the unit, but pretty happy with the outcome.

Being able to listen to the ipod and have ozi running on the same unit is great.

Will post up some pics next week.
              NP GLS DID Auto: ARB Bar, Warn XD9000, Rear ARB Locker, Dobinsons, Bilsteins, 33" BFG MT's, 61Lt Sub Tank, Striker 170's, Dual Batts, etc. etc. etc.

Comment

• Phil
                Valued Member
                • Aug 2008
                • Sydney

Great write up Des, what unit did you install.

Ranger J, did you get Oziexplorer with your unit or was it at extra cost.
                MY05 NP DiD Auto Platinum. Custom scratches. ARB bar & 12000lbs winch. Maxxis Bighorns. BushSkinz Bash plates & slidders. TJM auto guard. Gear box, trans & diff breathers. Rhino racks & Pod. Awning with LED. Dual batteries. HID Narva 225's. Airtec snorkel. 2" Lovell/Bilstein lift. GME TX3500. Wetseat covers. Pioneer BT deck. Cargo barrier. Beaudesert exhaust. Rear storage & CF80. ARB onboard air. NS 18s for the black top, 80L LRA tank. HPD Catch Can. HPD Intercooler.

Comment

• Ranger J
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Phil View Post
                  Great write up Des, what unit did you install.

Ranger J, did you get Oziexplorer with your unit or was it at extra cost.
                  Nope, the demo was included - you just have to purchase a serial number for $40.
                  NP GLS DID Auto: ARB Bar, Warn XD9000, Rear ARB Locker, Dobinsons, Bilsteins, 33" BFG MT's, 61Lt Sub Tank, Striker 170's, Dual Batts, etc. etc. etc.

Comment

• Phil
                    Valued Member
                    • Aug 2008
                    • Sydney

Originally posted by Ranger J View Post
                    Nope, the demo was included - you just have to purchase a serial number for $40.
                    Nice deal, did you use this unit.
                    MY05 NP DiD Auto Platinum. Custom scratches. ARB bar & 12000lbs winch. Maxxis Bighorns. BushSkinz Bash plates & slidders. TJM auto guard. Gear box, trans & diff breathers. Rhino racks & Pod. Awning with LED. Dual batteries. HID Narva 225's. Airtec snorkel. 2" Lovell/Bilstein lift. GME TX3500. Wetseat covers. Pioneer BT deck. Cargo barrier. Beaudesert exhaust. Rear storage & CF80. ARB onboard air. NS 18s for the black top, 80L LRA tank. HPD Catch Can. HPD Intercooler.

Comment

• Manjimike
                      • Jan 2012
                      • Manjimup SW WA

Is it possible to do this to a 99 NL?

Mike
                      03/99 NL 3.5 GLS

Comment

• Manjimike
                        • Jan 2012
                        • Manjimup SW WA

I have been out and had a look just now and I think I have answered my own Q, no

Mike
                        03/99 NL 3.5 GLS

Comment

• Ranger J
                          Valued Member
                          • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Phil View Post
                          Correct!

Comment

• Wainy
                            • Sep 2010
                            • Caroline Springs

Looks great.
                            I've got 3 gauges where the CD was.
                            2 x Volts and Oil Pressure.
                            Attached Files
                            2000 NM GLS LWB, 3.5L 5sp auto, Aerobar Alloy bar, dual batteries, Dueler LT A/Ts, Alpine headset, 16GB of Aussie tunes, Nokia Bluetooth, GME TX3200, DOTI Roof Console, SAAS Pedals, Oval Alloy Roof Rack, Rock Sliders, PolyAir susp, RooLites, LED working body tail/brake lights, Xenon headlights, Dual rear work lamp, reversing sensors, hat savers, a Schipperke and a crazy Kelpie....Oh, and a great lookin' passenger!

Comment

• Ranger J
                              Valued Member
                              • Jun 2007

If you're planning to do this mod, I recommend you put a notch in the frame.

I had my dash apart for the second time since doing the mod, as the hoops had 'come off' the dial levers. The first time was due to heavy corrugations, the second was due to pushing the temperature dial 'too far'.

So, yesterday I went and bought myself a Dremel, a grinding bit and a round file. I put a ~6x12mm notch in the frame, and now I have a fully functioning temperature dial (as opposed to only being able to go to 2 o'clock).

I hoping this will be of some benefit to other members planning to perform the mod in the future.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X