Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 3 Pajero

Generation 3 Pajero NM - NP Models 2000 - 2006

Old 16 Hours Ago

The reason there's a viscous fan is because electric fans will fail if you do several water crossings especially mud.

The best way to wire the fan is to buy an engine watchdog which will read your block temps and not your coolant temps and it can switch the fan on and off as required. You don't need to run the fan if the AC is running. The AC radiator has it's own fan. If the engine warms up the engine watchdog will look after the electric fan as required.

Next - Bullbar - winch - larger tranny cooler
Old 15 Hours Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&S Evo7 View Post
i have a 3.5 gdi (4 cam) engine in mine and have noticed recently the fan noise more than normal.

it always used to roar just at startup for a couple of minutes then quieten down, it seems to roar all the time. which cant be good for fuel economy.

i dont get any issues at all with it overheating

thanks in advance
The roar at start up is usually the AC fan not the radiator fan (viscus clutch)
Oct 2005 NP Diesel Auto, Roof Racks, Redark Brake controler, Tobar, Rear Suspension Air Bags, Turbo Timer, Oricom UHF030 CB, ARB Bar, Warn 10000 Magnum Winch, Old Man Emu 2" Kit, Bushskinz Cooller, Sump, Transmission and Transfer Bash Plates, Tigerz11 Rear Awning and Net, Tigerz11 side Awning, Dual Batteries, Cooper AT3s, home made steel rack, rear home made Draws, Donaldson 3 micron second fuel filter, ERG blank, all breathers extended and Integra side steps.
Old 7 Hours Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfarru View Post
The reason there's a viscous fan is because electric fans will fail if you do several water crossings especially mud.

The best way to wire the fan is to buy an engine watchdog which will read your block temps and not your coolant temps and it can switch the fan on and off as required. You don't need to run the fan if the AC is running. The AC radiator has it's own fan. If the engine warms up the engine watchdog will look after the electric fan as required.

yeah i can understand the potential fail issue if they get too wet and muddy , friends who have fitted them to other 4x4s would switch them off during a water crossing normally, so they arnt loaded up trying to drive through water

ive read about the watchdog , it seems a decent bit of kit .

i had initially assumed the ac had its own fan but couldnt see it ( normally in front of the rad ) so then came to the conclusion it wouldnt need one if the engine fan is constantly running . I will have a better look tomorrow when its light .

thanks for the reply
Old 6 Hours Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
The roar at start up is usually the AC fan not the radiator fan (viscus clutch)

its definitely the viscous as its speed increases with rpm.
Old 5 Hours Ago

so , as an update 2 things have happened,

i went out with my torch, my shogun definitely does not have a separate fan for the a/c .

even more confused I called an old friend who is an ex Mitsubishi (Ralliart to be exact) tech. he said--

"as far as i know NO pajero's or shoguns with a viscous fan have a separate a/c fan , larger vehicles fitted with inline engines often have viscous fans as they provide a good reliable cooling solution as the fan can be easily driven mechanically , as opposed to a transverse engine where no straightforward mechanical drive would be possible , in that case they need an electric fan for cooling and normally a second fan to cool the ac condensor that can be controlled independantly , if a vehicle has a viscous fan a second a/c fan would be of no benefit if there was a fan already running continuously. "
i asked him of his understanding of how a viscous fan works on a shogun too ,
he said at normal op temp or when cold ( after the initial few seconds of running ) the fan is only partially engaged so is almost free running but still providing some cooling , its not fully engaged until the bi-metalic strip warms up or the temp goes over the normal operating range. then it provides more airflow, he said he would not expect to hear it when the truck was driving normally ,

Mine is audible all the time and im sure it wasnt prior to its holiday so i guess it needs replacing

and i can find ac fans for the gdi on ebay , confused.com ......

Last edited by C&S Evo7; 4 Hours Ago at 05:55 AM.
Old 1 Hour Ago
Valued Member

Well I think your friend needs to see my '02 V6 Pajero Exceed - it has a large (about 30cm) electric fan, factory fitted, in front of the air con radiator, on the left side (battery side). It is very noisy when running, although not audible from the cabin - when idling and standing outside the Paj, it's clearly cutting in and out each time the air con compressor starts/stops.
I've wondered at times about putting another one alongside to replace (or help) the viscous clutch fan, but in January 2015 I finally fitted a new viscous one that works (it's a Truflow brand, the previous Dayco one gave up not long after fitting, and the original one didn't respond to the replacement oil treatment) I've not had any further cooling 'issues'.
'02 NM auto V6 Exceed silver. Extra transmission cooler & transmission temp gauge, activated rear lights, Impco sequential LPG system, Redback (Wildcat) Headers, heavy duty radiator. Lovells shocks F & R, Polyair bags in rear - original springs.
Original Pajero experience - '90 NG Superwagon, 3.0 V6 manual bought new and kept until about '97. Great vehicle, no problems apart from the noisy valve lifters typical of that engine.