• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gussy154
    • Feb 2017
    • Brisbane

Problem with battery / wiring?

Hi all. 2007 NS VRX V6.

I had a previous thread regarding a dodgy starter motor problems. I've cleaned mine up and bought a new 140A fuse after mine had died causing the fuel pump not to work. See: https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=56097

After I cleaned up the starter it cranked fine but due to the fuse being blown the fuel pump wasn't delivering any fuel so had to replace that.

Once I put the new fuse in I expected it to start first go but unfortunately when I went to start I had no cranking and the battery light came on.

I had the battery disconnected while waiting for the part, I have even used a friend's battery instead of mine and same result. I even have my auxiliary battery hooked up to a Projecta battery isolator and after clicking the reset buttons to run from the auxiliary it still won't crank.

I'm out of ideas now as to the problem and was wondering if anyone else has heard of or dealt with a similar problem.

I can't think of what else might be causing it to act this way. I also live in a remote part of QLD so towing and taking to a mechanic are off the books.

Thanks for any help and advice.
  • Peterng
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2013
    • Northern Rivers NSW

I know this is not the done thing, but have you tried turning the iginition to the on position and shorting out the solenoid on the starter motor.
    Be careful when doing this though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• starjunk
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2011
      • Sydney

So... Am I getting this right? Pump fuse out and it cranks, fuse in and it won't? what else is on the 140a circuit besides the pump? (I wish I had an electrical schematic...)
      '92 NH GLS LWB 3.0V6 A/T ...sold Please DON'T consider
      '06 NP VR-X LWB Turbo Diesel Sports A/T..sold Please consider
      '96 NJ GLX LWB Turbo Diesel M/T..sold . Loved that car
      '08 NS GLX LWB Turbo Diesel M/T...daily driver. Wake up and Drive!

Comment

• Gussy154
        • Feb 2017
        • Brisbane

Originally posted by starjunk View Post
        So... Am I getting this right? Pump fuse out and it cranks, fuse in and it won't? what else is on the 140a circuit besides the pump? (I wish I had an electrical schematic...)
        It was cranking yeah. You've raised a good point though, I'll go take the fuse out and see if it still cranks. That would isolate the problem .

Here's an online schematic... scroll to the bottom of the selector and you get the wiring schematics.

Thanks for quick replies.

Comment

• Kingbrown
          Valued Member
          • Apr 2012
          • Port Augusta - SA

Backstepping a bit, has it been established why you blew a 140A fusible link and a 7.5A control fuse ?
          The 140A link in particular is a worry as it takes a fairly serious fault to blow that one.
          Is yours a manual or auto btw ?
          2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• Gussy154
            • Feb 2017
            • Brisbane

Originally posted by Kingbrown View Post
            Backstepping a bit, has it been established why you blew a 140A fusible link and a 7.5A control fuse ?
            The 140A link in particular is a worry as it takes a fairly serious fault to blow that one.
            Is yours a manual or auto btw ?
            No idea how the 140A blew... Not sure about 7.5A one since I haven't replaced one? I only realised it had blown when we put the OBD reader in and then when it and the fuel pump weren't working traced the wiring diagram back... checked the 140A and saw one side blown.

Mine's a manual as well.

Cheers

Comment

• Kingbrown
              Valued Member
              • Apr 2012
              • Port Augusta - SA

The 7.5A control fuse was mentioned in post #24, here:
              2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• starjunk
                Valued Member
                • Mar 2011
                • Sydney

Originally posted by Gussy154 View Post
                It was cranking yeah. You've raised a good point though, I'll go take the fuse out and see if it still cranks. That would isolate the problem .

Here's an online schematic... scroll to the bottom of the selector and you get the wiring schematics.

Thanks for quick replies.
                Hey Gussy, any luck yet? I was looking at the schematic again today and I wondered which 7.5A fuse was the one that was blown? One of them supplies engine control system.... Can't see the car starting without that...
                '92 NH GLS LWB 3.0V6 A/T ...sold Please DON'T consider
                '06 NP VR-X LWB Turbo Diesel Sports A/T..sold Please consider
                '96 NJ GLX LWB Turbo Diesel M/T..sold . Loved that car
                '08 NS GLX LWB Turbo Diesel M/T...daily driver. Wake up and Drive!

Comment

• justcruizin
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2008
                  • Brisbane

You need to check all fuses both under the bonnet and in driver side kick panel. Any one blown could be causing this problem and not necessarily what you may think would cause the issue.
                  08 NS 25th Anniversary Limited Edition DID Auto, MM TBar, TJM T13 Bar, Airtec Snorkel, Redarc Dual battery, ORU 12000lb rope winch, Bushskinz Full Bash Plate set, Uniden UHF, Narva 175 spots, HD(F) & SD(R) Lovells, Bilsteins, Dynapro ATs, Diff and trans breathers, Poly Airs, Ridge Rider Awning, Eagle Camper Trailer, Engel 40 lt, Waeco CF110

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X