X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sandgroper 123
    • Dec 2015
    • W.A

There used to be a problem with the Challenger when i worked for Mitsubishi , same sort of clunk,
    the s/box was mounted to chassis and S/wheel to body so movement between body and chassis (rubber mounted ) was a fair bit ! the sliding spline on the s/shaft was meant to stop it transferring the movement to s/wheel BUT on a few it just clunked over rough ground ,i see the PS is a similar lay out even though its has a rack . just a thought.
    Cheers SG

Comment

• rasme
      • Aug 2016
      • Melbourne

Thanks sandgroper 123

Comment

• inspector gadget
        • Dec 2016
        • Oxenford

Originally posted by sandgroper 123 View Post
        There used to be a problem with the Challenger when i worked for Mitsubishi , same sort of clunk,
        the s/box was mounted to chassis and S/wheel to body so movement between body and chassis (rubber mounted ) was a fair bit ! the sliding spline on the s/shaft was meant to stop it transferring the movement to s/wheel BUT on a few it just clunked over rough ground ,i see the PS is a similar lay out even though its has a rack . just a thought.
        Cheers SG

With that in mind, if service when re centring the wheel just moved the steering shaft on the spline (not adjust the tie rod ends), they may have shortened (or lengthened) the total length of steering shaft causing it to bottom out at the end of its range.

Comment

• Pajflyer
          • Jan 2017
          • Sydney

I have the same issue, going in for 15,000 service next week.

Comment

• shortSteve
            • Dec 2012
            • Perth

My Challenger does this and it is as Sandgroper suggested, movement of the splines on the steering rack as body flexes/moves independent to the chassis. I can replicate it by firm throttle followed by light brakes, or turning one direction then another at constant speed (like negotiating a roundabout or traffic slowing chicane).
            Has been like it since new but not concerning for me, muddies, lift, snorkel,roof rack and exhaust all contribute to much more noise than the "clunk", but feeling is still there. Not like resistance tho, juts feels like something moving and stopping. Kinda like your towball with a trailer on as you start to brake, you know something is moving and clunking, but no serious feel to it.
            Sorry, not much help...

sS
            MY13 Triton GLX Dual-Cab
            twin locked, canopy and racks, bars front and rear, camera and sensors, bashplates and snorkel, lift and 32's, long range tank, ecu tune and exhaust and many many memories...
            15 PC Challenger, nudge bar, tow bar, arb roof rack, IPF spotties, uhf, lift, 32's on MN GLX alloys, ORS draw system, fridge and slide, arkpak and awning....so far.

Comment

• sandgroper 123
              • Dec 2015
              • W.A

Originally posted by shortSteve View Post
              My Challenger does this and it is as Sandgroper suggested, movement of the splines on the steering rack as body flexes/moves independent to the chassis. I can replicate it by firm throttle followed by light brakes, or turning one direction then another at constant speed (like negotiating a roundabout or traffic slowing chicane).
              Has been like it since new but not concerning for me, muddies, lift, snorkel,roof rack and exhaust all contribute to much more noise than the "clunk", but feeling is still there. Not like resistance tho, juts feels like something moving and stopping. Kinda like your towball with a trailer on as you start to brake, you know something is moving and clunking, but no serious feel to it.
              Sorry, not much help...

sS
              There was a fix for this clunk , one in ever 6 Challenges i sold had it!! .
              Last edited by sandgroper 123; 10-02-17, 05:14 PM.

Comment

• shortSteve
                • Dec 2012
                • Perth

There was a fix for this clunk , one in ever 6 Challenges i sold had it!! .
                I'm guessing it is body mount related? Got worse after fitting the bulbar . Still not that big a deal for me, but will ask an ex mitsi mechanic when I see him next
                Cheers

sS
                MY13 Triton GLX Dual-Cab
                twin locked, canopy and racks, bars front and rear, camera and sensors, bashplates and snorkel, lift and 32's, long range tank, ecu tune and exhaust and many many memories...
                15 PC Challenger, nudge bar, tow bar, arb roof rack, IPF spotties, uhf, lift, 32's on MN GLX alloys, ORS draw system, fridge and slide, arkpak and awning....so far.

Comment

• sandgroper 123
                  • Dec 2015
                  • W.A

Originally posted by shortSteve View Post
                  I'm guessing it is body mount related? Got worse after fitting the bulbar . Still not that big a deal for me, but will ask an ex mitsi mechanic when I see him next
                  Cheers

sS
                  Yes Steve you are right it is body mount related and the fix was the sliding spline near st box, i will try and find out more info.
                  Cheers SG

Comment

• T.ony
                    • Oct 2016
                    • Perth

Yes Steve you are right it is body mount related and the fix was the sliding spline near st box, i will try and find out more info.

Cheers SG

Any more info on this? I have the clunking in my steering on nearly every corner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• sandgroper 123
                      • Dec 2015
                      • W.A

Originally posted by T.ony View Post
                      Any more info on this? I have the clunking in my steering on nearly every corner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      On the Challenger Mits used to change st rod between box and fire wall , but on a challenger i had i oiled the spline so it slid up and down easier,
                      cheers SG

Comment

• salz
                        • Oct 2016
                        • Modbury Heights

Anyone had success with MM in identifying the cause of the clunking feel through the steering wheel? I took my PS in to the local dealer who took it for a run and reported that the issue is across the range and was nothing to worry about!! I am not sure how they can say that the knocking is OK when they are unable to tell me the cause?? Was told that the issue would be forward to MM and if problem was bad enough a recall would be made....not really happy but can do no more. Hope someone else has had more success?

Comment

• sandgroper 123
                          • Dec 2015
                          • W.A

Originally posted by salz View Post
                          Anyone had success with MM in identifying the cause of the clunking feel through the steering wheel? I took my PS in to the local dealer who took it for a run and reported that the issue is across the range and was nothing to worry about!! I am not sure how they can say that the knocking is OK when they are unable to tell me the cause?? Was told that the issue would be forward to MM and if problem was bad enough a recall would be made....not really happy but can do no more. Hope someone else has had more success?
                          No its no normal my Ps does not knock , have you tried oiling the spine ? if you turn the wheel just a touch and plant your foot do you feel it then ?? , with a little pressure turning the wheel it holds the spline in its housing then as the body lifts (acc ) or dips (braking) as the chassis stay still thats what i think you are feeling .
                          Cheers SG

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X