• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

Originally posted by pajeromack View Post
    Meh, depends on how the engine is geared. A good auto should let the revs rise quickly to where the engine makes torque & power.
    So a good auto is required to compensate for the engine's characteristics? One that lets the revs rise quickly would also be referred to as a high stall converter, would it not? A bit like the converter in the Challenger version of the Jatco, compared with the converter in the Pajero version?

Originally posted by pajeromack View Post
    Also that isn't an accurate measurement of the power band. The PS engine will keep making power at 4k.
    It is a definition - not the only one. The point I'm trying to make is that larger engines produce their peak torque at lower revs, and have a wider rev band between peak torque and peak power. They don't need multi-gear auto transmissions forever changing gears to stay in a "sweet spot".
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• nj swb
      Resident
      • Jun 2007
      • Adelaide

Long winded, and I didn't think he really offered much about it's abilities. Almost an advertorial for the vehicle.

I did find this video from Car Advice:

Click Here to Subscribe: http://drivesoci.al/1Cuo50FO51CThese two vehicles are among the most rugged yet family-friendly SUVs on the market: the 2016 Mitsubi...

Pajero Sport vs Fortuner - and they actually declared a "winner"!
      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Amok
        • Dec 2016
        • Sydney

Pajero Sport vs Pajero

MY17 NX GLX with too much cash blown on it

Comment

• Aspey
          • Dec 2015
          • Great Southern Land

IMO they are totally different cars which suit different buyers. The Pajero is a bigger car. PS is more like an SUV, maybe better for running around town but not as suitable for touring due to less space. Easier to drive for those that struggle with a big car and easier to park. It's somewhere between an Outlander and a Pajero. Are PS made in Japan?
          Personally I'm not a fan of the starwars looking front end and the tail lights. It looks over stylized.
          NP VRX DID

Comment

• pajeromack
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2014
            • NSW

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
            So a good auto is required to compensate for the engine's characteristics? One that lets the revs rise quickly would also be referred to as a high stall converter, would it not?
            Alternatively you can just use a normal torque converter and add additional gears including a low first gear (4.845) to keep the engine on the boil. You can couple that with an extra low low-range gear. Then you'd have... the 8 speed auto in the Pajero Sport.

The point I'm trying to make is that larger engines produce their peak torque at lower revs, and have a wider rev band between peak torque and peak power. They don't need multi-gear auto transmissions forever changing gears to stay in a "sweet spot".
            I don't disagree, I'd like a larger engine too which makes reasonable torque in the 1500-2000rpm range. Even the current Pajero isn't great in that department.

My fav at the moment is the 3.2 Duratorq.

Mmmmm so much torque from ~1500rpm.

Comment

• Vicbitter
              • May 2016
              • Melbourne

Originally posted by Aspey View Post
              It's somewhere between an Outlander and a Pajero. Are PS made in Japan?
              Made in Thailand.

Comment

• Amok
                • Dec 2016
                • Sydney

Originally posted by Vicbitter View Post
                Made in Thailand.
                One of the reasons I didn't give it much consideration, along with Everest, Colorado, MUX, Fortuner etc.

I'm not quite convinced of the Thai build quality yet.
                MY17 NX GLX with too much cash blown on it

Comment

• Vicbitter
                  • May 2016
                  • Melbourne

Originally posted by Amok View Post

I'm not quite convinced of the Thai build quality yet.
                  Same here.
                  Went for a tried and tested design. (And more room in the Pajero)

Comment

• littleriver
                    Valued Member
                    • Jan 2013
                    • Queensland

Originally posted by Vicbitter View Post
                    Made in Thailand.
                    technically they are only assembled in Thailand

they are actually made in Japan

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• pauld
                      Valued Member
                      • Apr 2010
                      • Melbourne

Originally posted by Chainsaw View Post
                      I wouldn't be rushing in and hoping for the 8 speed auto. I have had a VW Touareg with 6 speed and now later model with 8 speed and I know with towing my van which I would prefer. With eight speed it just shuffling between the top ratios all the time where as the six speed holds the gears better. That's why I prefer to use Sports Mode when towing with the Paj and leave it in 5th for as long as possible, it keeps hanging on like an old Mack truck.
                      I agree with your thoughts on the 8 speed, I've driven the PS in NZ over a week and I didn't like it or the 8 speed.
                      But your comment about leaving it in 5th as long as possible - if you had a transmission temp gauge you would see that it will be running extremely hot doing that because the Torque Converter will be unlocked and working overtime, better to change down to 4th and avoid burning your AT fluid or cooking the TC. I've done economy tests between towing in 4th all the time & mostly 5th and they are the same.
                      2015 NX, ARB Bullbar, Bilstein / Lovells HD Front and Kings SP Rear, Polyairs, 17" NP Exceed wheels, D697 LT265/65/17, STEDI Cree 24" 120Watt light bar, Tracklander 2100 Roof Cage, Bushskinz side steps and bash plates, 200AH of Batts under rear floor via Redarc 40 Amp, cargo barrier with custom rear shelf up high, TC mod, EGR mod, catch can, iPhone4 with OBD app, USB ports in all 3 rows, custom storage in rear passenger guard.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X