• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sonic
    • Apr 2015
    • Adelaide

Voltage query on Dual battery RedArc Isolator

I’ve got a Dual battery system with the RedArc Smart start isolator and a Red Arc Dual battery monitor in my car
    But I had my starter battery go flat, so I used the blue override to start my car (as it’s designed to)
    But now I’ve fitted a brand new starter battery, my battery monitor is reading 14v on the new battery (when driving ) but only 12v on the aux battery

It used to both read 14v (when driving ) and my aux battery is only 5months old

Any ideas ?
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

I hope I'm wrong, but I think you might've killed the isolator (I did something similar with a similar product).

I believe the "over-ride" function is for when the starter battery hasn't quite got enough grunt, and the second battery "helps" - it might tip in an extra 100 Amps or so.

If the starter battery is REALLY flat (or stuffed e.g. dropped a cell) the second battery is doing the bulk of the starting - contributing maybe 300 - 400 Amps. I don't believe these isolators handle that scenario, and it kills them - the heat dissipated within the isolator is proportional to the square of the current, so 3 to 4 times the current is 10 to 15 times the heat (yes, I rounded - sue me! )

The fact that you have a brand new starter battery tells me that your old starter died, so your isolator probably was stressed by the "jump start".
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Sonic
      • Apr 2015
      • Adelaide

Sounds very much right tbh I just noticed it seems to look like it’s working but the monitor in my car is only reading 12v on the aux battery side when the car is moving, not it’s usual 14v and won’t the aux battery eventually go flat? If the isolator is stuffed?

Comment

• Morville
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2008
        • Buxton Vic

Is there a fuse or circuit breaker between either battery and the Redarc isolator?
        Peter

Comment

• Sonic
          • Apr 2015
          • Adelaide

Originally posted by Morville View Post
          Is there a fuse or circuit breaker between either battery and the Redarc isolator?
          Peter
          100% correct , it had blown a 60amp fuse !!!
          All changed and running sweet

Thanks again

Comment

• XLS PB Challenger
            • May 2016
            • Reynella East

Originally posted by Sonic View Post

Thanks again
            Hi,

What size cable you using with the SBI12 between the two positive terminals ?

Cheers
            Paul
            2010 PB Challenger Auto - 265/60/18 Dick Cepek - MCC front bar - 9 inch LED kings spot lights- Safari Snorkel - 2 inch lift - REDARC BMS1230 Manager & REDARC TVMS - AUX battery in custom tray behind cargo trim - Jump start feature - 3inch Triton exhaust - morepower diesel chip - bash plates - 9.5 XP winch - Auto front locker - Automate - RV meter.

Comment

• Morville
              Valued Member
              • Mar 2008
              • Buxton Vic

Originally posted by Sonic View Post

Thanks again
              Hi Sonic, glad it is fixed. Unfortunately if you link the batteries via the Redarc to start the car particularly if the starter battery is nearly flat you will blow the 60 amp fuse every time.
              Peter

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X