• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johnnywal47
    • Mar 2019
    • Ocean Grove

Bought an NT.

Finally made the purchase of an MY10 VRX diesel yesterday. Only done 121000, owned by an old guy (same age as me!), never done any rough stuff but has done a bit of towing of a caravan. It has airbags fitted in the rear coils and is like new inside and out.
    Plan to head up the centre and down the west coast in the Winter towing a 1700kg van plus gear and was wondering if there are any essential things to do to it in preparation.
    It has a full "by the book"service history having had a major $1000+ one at 120000.
    I would appreciate any suggestions.
    John.
  • crojo
    • Aug 2015
    • Drouin

Congrats on the new purchase, we have recently completed a trip up north with our nt towing a 2.5t van. Had no issues at all, I guess the things I would recommend are:

Secondary Donaldson fuel filter
    New aircon cabin filter
    Flush the radiator and brakes
    If possible get the transmission service, new filter and oil
    And check your shockers out and make sure they are good

If you really want to do some extras

change out the diff oils and transfer case oils

Get an egr block

Add a catch can

And get the inlet manifold cleaned.

These things should keep you driving happy for a long time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Little Devil
      • Feb 2016
      • Valley View, South Australia

Good advice from Crojo especially if your NT doesn't have a EGR delete module then intake clean is the first job and do your tappets at the same time.
      My19 ZL Outlander Diesel Auto. Ultra Gauge MX, Uniden CB, 270 Batwing Awning, Catch Can

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people.

Comment

• Hill
        Valued Member
        • Sep 2007
        • Adelaide

John

Check what has recently been serviced and complete the missed items if any.

NT service schedule has tappets completed every 30k if serviced by book.

If you find that tappets have not been checked with a feeler gauge I'd suggest having them reset and as recommended above having the inlet manifold cleaned.

To stop future issues with inlet manifold fit an electronic blank and oil catch can.

Mann & Hummel Provent 200 is what i have fitted to my NT.

Donaldson 3 micron filter is my first recommendation as it should help prolong injector and fuel pump life.

I change all fluids at 50k intervals ie diff, transfer and auto trans.

Engine oil and filter at 10k or 15k if on a trip.

Brake fluid and coolant every 2 years. I don't bother flushing coolant completely and just drain radiator hence more frequent interval.

Air cleaner 30k interval or as required. Factory fuel filter 30k. Donaldson 3 micron 10k interval.

Cabin filter when I remember.

Hill
        200 Series
        AOR Quantum 4

Comment

• Peterng
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2013
          • Northern Rivers NSW

A secondary fuel filter... is a must..it’s one of the best fuel insurances you can get..the best $350.00 one could spend. Do the service book spec services..your Paj will not even “bat a tappet” at the weight it’s pulling..
          Happy travells

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Paj People 2009
            Valued Member
            • Oct 2009
            • Sunny Gold Coast, QLD

Hi

Congrats!

Good advice from all the posters.

When we had our NT it served us well with those extras, without any trouble.

Enjoy!

Cheers
            Sally
            SOLD 2009 NT PAJERO PLATINUM & 2015 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE

RUNVA XP11 11,000lb Winch in MM ALLOY Bar, 2.75" S/S exhaust, ARB Air Locker, BLACK WIDOW Drawer Sys, ABBER Water Tank, GREAT WHITE & IRONMAN LED LightbarS, ARB OME 2 inch lift, POLYAIRs, BUSHSKINZs, Airtech SNORKEL, IRONMAN Awning, PIONEER Platform, REDARC Tow Pro, Provent , D697 LT's, ALPINE Stereo, Amp & Sub, DP CHIP, DRLs, Torque App, SPV EGR MOD Mk3

2015 LOTUS FREELANDER & CRUISECRAFT EXPLORER 575

Comment

• johnnywal47
              • Mar 2019
              • Ocean Grove

Thanks to all those who already given me the terrific advice.
              I have another question about the "Lockup Mate". Should this be considered a necessary addition for caravan towing to stop overheating the transmission and also from the fuel economy point of view??
              John.
              Last edited by johnnywal47; 03-04-19, 05:34 PM.

Comment

• nj swb
                Resident
                • Jun 2007
                • Adelaide

Originally posted by johnnywal47 View Post
                Thanks to all those who already given me the terrific advice.
                I have another question about the "Lockup Mate". Should this be considered a necessary addition for caravan towing to stop overheating the transmission and also from the fuel economy point of view??
                John.
                What is "necessary" to one person may not be to the next. Careful driving with watching of transmission temps can avoid transmission overheating problems, but it is unlikely you'll achieve as good fuel economy without a torque converter lockup of some kind.

I believe Lockup Mate is the best product of its kind on the market, and I can't imagine driving my Pajero without it. For caravan towing, you should also consider Auto Mate (instead of Lockup Mate, not in addition), but I don't have one so can't offer personal insight.
                NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Hill
                  Valued Member
                  • Sep 2007
                  • Adelaide

John
                  We don't have a lock up kit.
                  I tow in 4H in sports mode and never anything higher than 4th gear. When torque converter disengages revs will increase slightly and I then choose a lower gear. On our last trip through NT and WA we averaged 14L/100 over 16000km.. Dirt roads with soft tyres was around 16L/100. Loaded our Quantum 4 is around 2.4T but it doesn't have a high drag factor. We generally sit on 90-95km/hr.

Hill
                  200 Series
                  AOR Quantum 4

Comment

• johnnywal47
                    • Mar 2019
                    • Ocean Grove

DC DC charger for dual batteries.

I want to fit dual batteries under the bonnet of my NT diesel.
                    1. I have heard that you can shift the starter battery to the dual carrier and fit the second battery in the original starter battery spot. Will the standard starter battery fit here OK?
                    2. Is there too much heat in the engine bay for an AGM deep cycle battery?
                    3. I have a Ctek DC DC charger that I have previously used in the rear of my previous vehicle to charge the Deep Cycle secondary battery. Has anybody mounted one of the chargers in the engine bay and has it still worked fine?
                    4. Does the NT have a smart alternator and hence require a DC DC charger to fully charge a deep cycle battery.
                    5. Is there anything else I have to consider in putting in a dual battery?
                    John.

Comment

• crojo
                      • Aug 2015
                      • Drouin

I don’t have a dc to dc charger under the bonnet, just the arb switch type from the alternator. I have had a battery fail due to heat though and purchased a new one, I’m hoping it’s a one off bad luck thing

Comment

• koshari
                        • Oct 2018
                        • gippsland

Originally posted by johnnywal47 View Post
                        I want to fit dual batteries under the bonnet of my NT diesel.
                        1. I have heard that you can shift the starter battery to the dual carrier and fit the second battery in the original starter battery spot. Will the standard starter battery fit here OK?
                        NTs differ slightly from model to model and this has a bearing on what aux tray will fit, check yours and post a pic if nessacery, ours has the HP air con pipe impeding anything longer than a 265mm tray.

2. Is there too much heat in the engine bay for an AGM deep cycle battery?
                        i personally dont think so , however i also don’t see the benefit over a flooded lead acid in a position where maintenance is easy. ask yourself how much maintenance does the flooded starter battery need, and they are significantly cheaper.
                        3. I have a Ctek DC DC charger that I have previously used in the rear of my previous vehicle to charge the Deep Cycle secondary battery. Has anybody mounted one of the chargers in the engine bay and has it still worked fine?
                        it would work fine however totally unnecessary given the short run of a strapper from the starter battery if you use suitable cable.

4. Does the NT have a smart alternator and hence require a DC DC charger to fully charge a deep cycle battery.
                        Some do and some don’t, look for the rectangular hall effect sensor on the negative clamp ad it will tell you. but again you wont need a dc-dc.worse case scenario turn your headlights on low beam and the alternator will compensate by upping the voltage.

5. Is there anything else I have to consider in putting in a dual battery?
                        John.
                        ease of installation should be a consideration, will you be cranking off the Aux? also the main battery carrier can be modified to make it stronger. you can either wait for it it fail or be proactive. also how much more charge are you requiring??
                        Last edited by koshari; 21-05-19, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X