battery from getting flat? My old engel fridge has no
    low voltage switch off.
    Do. we have better alternatives?

cheers
  • 2bad4u
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2009
    • Perth, Western Australia

No, the DC-DC acts as an isolator. But since you have a Gen 3 which doesn't have a "smart" alternator, why not save yourself money and just run an isolator? No real benefit from running a DC-DC.
    Warren
    2012 NW DiD Activ - Retired
    2023 Nissan Y62 Patrol Ti

Comment

• Nab
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2012
      • Perth

You can get low voltage cutouts from Jaycar and the like. I don’t like them on fridges as personally I would rather my fridge kept running and food stay good than try and save a battery. Note my Engel has run fine at 11.1V, most battery low voltage cut outs are set around ~11.7V.

My 2014 Ranger has a “smart” alternator but I still only run a voltage sensing solenoid, no dramas in the last 6 months, in saying that I ran appropriately sized cable to my 2nd battery at the rear of the car.
      SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
      NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

• Ky1e
        • Aug 2015
        • Muswellbrook

Originally posted by 2bad4u View Post
        No, the DC-DC acts as an isolator. But since you have a Gen 3 which doesn't have a "smart" alternator, why not save yourself money and just run an isolator? No real benefit from running a DC-DC.
        A dc-dc charger is definitely not a waste of money. It will ensure your battery is charged to it's maximum, not overcharged, not over-discharged. Hardly a waste of money with an older non-smart-alternator vehicle.

Comment

• Rich0
          • Dec 2011
          • Sydney, South

I completely agree. I've just upgraded from a redarc low voltage disconnect to the projecta IDC.

It's dramatically improved the life I can get out of the battery. Coupled with a 120w solar panel I was very impressed how well it worked keeping my fridge running

DC-DC chargers are the way to go.

For protection, make sure you've got all positive leads fused
          2002 NM GLS 3.2 DiD Manual
          My build thread on the to do list

Comment

• Aspey
            • Dec 2015
            • Great Southern Land

No doubt not all DC-DC chargers are created equal. Hopefully some battery experts chime in but with my basic understanding I thought that if you have a traditional alternator (>13.8v like most NM-NP's) then a DC-DC charger may not be necessary and might even be a waste of money, (but hey, if it's works for you then awesome).
            So unless you have a smart alternator (and even then maybe not), or the Aux Battery is mounted at a distance that you need to compensate for voltage drop or your mixing certain battery technologies it could take you hours longer using a DC-DC to charge your AUX (and you might not fully charge your Aux given the time) over the basic alternators output. (eg:1225D at 25amps vs 120amp alternator).
            I top up with a 240v multi stage CTEK charger every month or so which will hopefully extend the life of the batteries.
            NP VRX DID

Comment

• Ian H
              Valued Member
              • May 2015
              • Melbourne

Originally posted by Aspey View Post
              it could take you hours longer using a DC-DC to charge your AUX (and you might not fully charge your Aux given the time) over the basic alternators output. .
              Can you elaborate on that as to why ?
              2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• nj swb
                Resident
                • Jun 2007
                • Adelaide

Originally posted by Ian H View Post
                Can you elaborate on that as to why ?
                If the installation is done well, the alternator may be able to supply well over 20 / 25A to the second battery. So, while the DC-DC is in its current-limited "bulk" phase the alternator is pumping more charge into the battery.

The other side to that is the situation where the alternator has decided the starting battery is full, and dialled its output back to a float charge, where the DC-DC can still be charging at its max current and/or voltage, depending on the state of charge of the aux battery.

Swings and roundabouts.
                NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Ian H
                  Valued Member
                  • May 2015
                  • Melbourne

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                  The other side to that is the situation where the alternator has decided the starting battery is full, and dialled its output back to a float charge, where the DC-DC can still be charging at its max current and/or voltage, depending on the state of charge of the aux battery.
                  Thanks. That's the reason I thought having a charger was preferable.
                  2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• Aspey
                    • Dec 2015
                    • Great Southern Land

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                    If the installation is done well, the alternator may be able to supply well over 20 / 25A to the second battery. So, while the DC-DC is in its current-limited "bulk" phase the alternator is pumping more charge into the battery.

Swings and roundabouts.
                    Thanks NJ SWB, just on your second paragraph are we still talking about NM-NP models will their basic alternator?
                    NP VRX DID

Comment

• Sparky3975
                      • Apr 2017
                      • Botanic Ridge, Vic

Hi,

If you have upgraded to a BCDC from a battery isolator, keep it and use it as a battery link relay. I used the redarc wiring diagram to setup a battery link as well as my BCDC. I have a spare laser cut bracket for the Redarc 1225D if interested (mounts behind the passenger side headlight). The alternator in the NP's (not sure about the NM) are a temperature compensated alternator, but even the 1225D will cut the voltage if too hot.
                      2005 NP Pajero Exceed DiD: Airtec snorkel, iDrive, Nudge bar with 24" Stedi light bar, Redarc's Ultimate Dual Battery setup, ARB dual battery tray, 2" MD King/Bilstein suspension combo, Provent 200 catch can pro, Bridgestone D697 A/T's, Front/Rear DBA Slotted disc rotors, Boo's bashplates.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X