Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-1 Pajero

Generation 4-1 Pajero NS Model 2006 - 2009

Old 13-01-19

Default Voltage query on Dual battery RedArc Isolator

Iíve got a Dual battery system with the RedArc Smart start isolator and a Red Arc Dual battery monitor in my car
But I had my starter battery go flat, so I used the blue override to start my car (as itís designed to)
But now Iíve fitted a brand new starter battery, my battery monitor is reading 14v on the new battery (when driving ) but only 12v on the aux battery

It used to both read 14v (when driving ) and my aux battery is only 5months old

Any ideas ?
Old 13-01-19
Resident

I hope I'm wrong, but I think you might've killed the isolator (I did something similar with a similar product).

I believe the "over-ride" function is for when the starter battery hasn't quite got enough grunt, and the second battery "helps" - it might tip in an extra 100 Amps or so.

If the starter battery is REALLY flat (or stuffed e.g. dropped a cell) the second battery is doing the bulk of the starting - contributing maybe 300 - 400 Amps. I don't believe these isolators handle that scenario, and it kills them - the heat dissipated within the isolator is proportional to the square of the current, so 3 to 4 times the current is 10 to 15 times the heat (yes, I rounded - sue me! )

The fact that you have a brand new starter battery tells me that your old starter died, so your isolator probably was stressed by the "jump start".

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....
Old 13-01-19

Sounds very much right tbh I just noticed it seems to look like itís working but the monitor in my car is only reading 12v on the aux battery side when the car is moving, not itís usual 14v and wonít the aux battery eventually go flat? If the isolator is stuffed?
Old 14-01-19
Valued Member

Is there a fuse or circuit breaker between either battery and the Redarc isolator?
Peter
Old 18-01-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morville View Post
Is there a fuse or circuit breaker between either battery and the Redarc isolator?
Peter
100% correct , it had blown a 60amp fuse !!!
All changed and running sweet

Thanks again
Old 18-01-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic View Post

Thanks again
Hi,

What size cable you using with the SBI12 between the two positive terminals ?

Cheers
Paul
2010 PB Challenger Auto - 265/70/17 BFG - MCC front bar - 9 inch LED kings spot lights- Safari Snorkel - 2 inch lift - REDARC BMS1230 Manager & REDARC TVMS - AUX battery in custom tray behind cargo trim - Jump start feature - 3inch Triton exhaust - morepower diesel chip - bash plates - 9.5 XP winch - Auto front locker - soon upgrade to automate.
Old 19-01-19
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic View Post

Thanks again
Hi Sonic, glad it is fixed. Unfortunately if you link the batteries via the Redarc to start the car particularly if the starter battery is nearly flat you will blow the 60 amp fuse every time.
Peter