• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sharkcaver
    "2000"+ Valued Contributor
    • May 2009
    • Perth

Free camps: the Kimberley

In the spirit of free camping, please add your free Kimberley camps to this thread

Willare Bridge, Nr Derby: S17 43.869 E123 38.613
    southern side of bridge on the west side of highway. Pastoral lease the owner has let people camp on. Why go 2 Km's up the road to the caravan park???

Barnett River Gorge, Gibb River road: S16 32.331 E126 07.600
    A most welcome legal free camp on the Gibb. May be a bit rough to get in and about a 5km trek off the road.
    MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys
  • Quinno
    • May 2008

May River. I caught a 46cm Mangrove Jack. I put it back because I didn't know what it was at the time. The words cock head come to mind!

There is a few tuck away spots along Lake Argyle Rd. Don't think we were meant to camp there but it was great on the boogy board down the rapids in the spillway creek.
    2010 PB Challenger. Kings KCRR23 and 55H, sliders, front bar, warn winch, light force HID, 90L aux tank donated from NH Paj.

1992 NH GLX, 2.5L TD. Tough Dog lift 2", Alpine Engineering IFS mod kit, DieselGas, Piranha dual battery, ARB bar with Warn M8000, Outlander roof rack & boat rollers, 10ft tinny with 6hp, GME TX4000 UHF & Electophone SSB CB, custom fridge slide & false floor, window tint & Airflow snorkel.

Comment

• sharkcaver
      • May 2009
      • Perth

The Spillway creek on boogie boards....are you serious? Did you see the salties warning signs?

Lake Argyle spillway creek residents

MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Quinno
        • May 2008

That's allright - they only look like freshies? Saw hundreds of them whilst swimming in Lake Argyle (should I have not done that either?). Didn't see any warning signs where we were. It was along the road on the way into Lake Argyle. The water was crystal clear and flowing down through rapids. I didn't think a lazy croc would like it there?
        2010 PB Challenger. Kings KCRR23 and 55H, sliders, front bar, warn winch, light force HID, 90L aux tank donated from NH Paj.

1992 NH GLX, 2.5L TD. Tough Dog lift 2", Alpine Engineering IFS mod kit, DieselGas, Piranha dual battery, ARB bar with Warn M8000, Outlander roof rack & boat rollers, 10ft tinny with 6hp, GME TX4000 UHF & Electophone SSB CB, custom fridge slide & false floor, window tint & Airflow snorkel.

Comment

• Pete
          Valued Member
          • Jan 2010
          • Mornington Peninsula, Vic

Skip big horse creek at Timber creek and the big squeeze in that camp ground and go to the top of the lookout about 1 km down the road. Free and safe and possible the best views from our camp of anywhere in that region. (yeah i know this is vic river NT not WA : )

Saw Pit Gorge is spectacular and remote and quite and you need 4x4 to camp there. One of my fav spots and well worth the trip. (50?km down the duncan rd)
          Last edited by Pete; 02-05-12, 11:45 PM.

Comment

• sharkcaver
            • May 2009
            • Perth

Originally posted by Quinno View Post
            they only look like freshies?
            That they are, but the saltie warning signs were around when I was there July 2011. Golden rule of the north, unless you know there are no salties, you don't go in the water. Each to their own I guess, but the surge from the overflow sure would have been fun on a boogie board.

My Journeys

Comment

• Quinno
              • May 2008

We were up there in July 2010. Upstream from that photo and much less water. Admittedly a couple of weeks after our visit we did hear about a saltie being found in Lake Argyle I think. Immediately thought - ooops! Loved Lake Argyle. We took our 10ft tinny from the tourist village, past the head wall and out of the bay into the main body of the Lake. It was crystal clear.

Can anyone tell me how to load a photo to the page?

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X